The New Project – 1994 Fireblade

Home Forums Members’ bikes The New Project – 1994 Fireblade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    katana
    Participant

Picked this up from fellow forum member Gordy on Thursday.

6795901959165e0cbe860c0b67875c818fe5c801c250c79063b40bf47407941ff480d428.jpg

This is as I picked it up (with the addition of my £9.99 Ebay seat). I was looking for a Fighter project but it is 100% standard and only has 5800 miles on the clock, so I might just mod it a bit?
    It hasn’t been on the road for 6 years, but some fresh fuel and a new battery plus a little squirt of Easystart had it running yesterday. The carbs need cleaning and I’ll give it a full service and a good clean, then MOT time.

I’m off to the US for a bit so I’ll post updates on progress when I get back.

Radar

Bung on a ticket and have some fun Kat, it would be great if you join on a blast up to Wales one Sunday. It would a good tool to tackle France on too with Digger, Prezzo, Towcrowe and Toggs etc. To be honest I think it would be a shame to fighter such an example. I will keep my eye open for a more suitable project for you…

TT07
    Participant

Yes agree with Radar, its barely run in!!!!

BigBen
    Participant

not too bad looking that.. i like that you didnt forget about your ebay seat. haha
    im tempted to agree with the others an say keep it standard but old blades just look great fightered.
    im still looking out for an end can for you.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

For a 13 year old bike that looks very clean. Can only go up in value it’s true but by a few hundred pounds in another 10 years maybe?

Tough call but I think I’d fighter it if that’s what you really want. You could probably sell the fairing etc and come out all square on the trick bits too.

Spoken as the owner of a 22 year old bike that has had these thoughts before! It’s only now that my GPZ900R is slowly going up in value as a standard example.

Radar

Maybe go for the middle ground. Have next summer (if we get one?!)on it as it stands, then fighter it over next winter. Perhaps retaining all the parts removed so it could go back to standard layout at some point in the future

Digger
    Participant

Looks a tidy bike mate,you can always fighter it mate but I agree with radar,have a summer on it and enjoy the thrill of one of the true supersports bikes that launched a million smiles.

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Digger

enjoy the thrill of one of the true supersports bikes that launched a million smiles.

he will be needing a zuki for that lol [;)]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Smiles, not belly laughs Gix [:D]

katana
    Participant

Decided to keep it more or less standard for the time being.

Got back from my jolly to the States on Saturaday morning and in attempt to ward of the jet lag took the carbs off to clean them. Came back with a set of plugs and an oil filter in my luggage as they were very cheap – oil filter $2.99 and a set of plugs $12 from Wal-Mart.

Also another Ebay purchase turned up today:

86325423136d7f6cdc8bc1d746cbbd69dcafb9f8aad3ca5d73e4bcd1418bd95ed9f87a70.jpg

Stubby! and a bargin at £19.99.

I’ll post some pictures of the carb clean and rebuild tomorrow.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Nice one.

katana
    Participant

Carb Clean:

Getting to the carbs on the Blade is a little more complicated then on the Kat. It involved removing the seat, tank and airbox. I also took off one side of the mid fairing panel (more so that I could see what I was doing then to aid access). With the carbs uncovered I removed the various fuel, overflow and breather pipes and then undid the clips on the carb rubbers that attach them to the block. I’ve found through experience that if you push the carbs towards the engine block first then rock them backwards and forwards a couple of times to break the seal that they come off easier. Once freed from the engine I then disconnected the choke and throttle cables.

With the carbs on the bench I began to strip them down. I was surprised that I’d managed to get the bike running at all, once I saw the state of the insides. Six years of inactivity and stale fuel had deposited a lot of “varnish” all over the jets and bowls and 3 out of the 4 float valves were stuck open (which explained the why fuel poured out of the breather when it did start).

Here are the Jets and float valve from one carb
    019210283e459f908520d0fdbf126797d7f80a203375d9332100932e6043591726ca386e.jpg

So it was out with the carb cleaner, compressor and my trusty Ultrasonic bath. For those of you who are thinking of tackling a job like this I’d recommend you get hold of/borrow/steal an Ultrasonic bath its the only thing that I’ve found that can safely remove the deposits within the very small holes in the jets.

To give you some idea of its effectiveness here is the before and after on one the float bowls (10 minutes in the bath)
    0732233123a4bdc9d0865fd55e7bda7b14df34c9c88f0836502beb3014575e2dfc8912ea.jpg

Maplins have one for under £25
    https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223108

So far I’ve stripped everything down and about half way through cleaning so more to follow….

BigBen
    Participant

cheers for the link katana might have to get me one of those..looks like your project is coming along nicely..the stubby will deffinitly be a great edition as im sure you will know.

Radar

Cheers for the update, the choice to go essentially standard is a good one

I have used ultrasonic cleaners at work, very effective as you say. Good tip, cheers.

I will try and pop down soon to take a look at the Blade

BigBen
    Participant

ive just found summat in my garage that might interest you.
    got a JT 16 tooth front sprocket for an old blade..cept i cant remember the model.. ill try find it by part number but if you want to look to its (JTF333.16)
    the packet has been opened but its brand new never fitted..yours if you want it.let us know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.