The new bike test – First new test candidate crash

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe The new bike test – First new test candidate crash

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Radar

One of the first learner riders to take a new motorcycle test crashed and broke his arm in the middle of the examination.

new-test-crash.jpg

In a chaotic start to the new test regime, a second candidate crashed while a source at the test site was on the phone to MCN telling us about the earlier accident.

Riding instructor Graham Woodcock blamed both accidents on a ‘swerve manoeuvre’ which candidates must perform at special test centres away from the public highway.
    It requires candidates to reach 31mph (50kmh) measured with a speed detector before making a sudden change of direction.

In pouring rain at the Rotherham test centre on Monday, Adam Simpson, the first candidate to take the new test at the site, skidded and crashed while performing the manoeuvre, suffering a broken forearm.

The 27-year-old from Barnsley was taken by ambulance to Rotherham Hospital.

Woodcock said: “He did all the manoeuvres up to the swerve manoeuvre. Then, as he swerved one way and then the other, he basically high-sided.”

Speaking to MCN on the phone from the test site, Woodcock said: “Did you hear that? Another one has just gone down? It’s chaos.” He said the second crash occurred in similar circumstances to the first.

Woodcock blamed conditions at the site and the lack of “concessions” in the new test allowing candidates to perform the manoeuvre more slowly in wet weather.

A third candidate at Rotherham on Monday was failed for reaching 49km – 1kmh less than required. Jill Savage, 37, was deemed too slow despite the heavy rain, according to her husband Glyn. “It was chucking down,” he said.

The Driving Standards Agency said: “Unfortunately accidents do happen on all categories of test and it was precisely for this reason that we opted to carry out these new motorcycle manoeuvres off road.

The areas used for the manoeuvres have been tested thoroughly in both wet and dry conditions and provide a safe environment for the candidate.

“We hope the injured rider makes a full and swift recovery. We would urge all candidates and their instructors to make sure they have had enough training and practice before they take the new, more-challenging test.”

Source: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2009/April/27-30/apr2809-first-new-test-candidate-crashes/?id=107939

TT07
    Participant

quote:

The Driving Standards Agency said: “Unfortunately accidents do happen on all categories of test and it was precisely for this reason that we opted to carry out these new motorcycle manoeuvres off road.

Is that so that the accidents can take place away from roads then?

quote:

The areas used for the manoeuvres have been tested thoroughly in both wet and dry conditions and provide a safe environment for the candidate.

Safe environment? Not safe enough it would appear.

Champs
    Participant

A high side! How did that happen, surely the back must of stepped out to perform such a stunt.

I also can’t believe the lady failed because she was 1km under the limit. 1km isn’t anything.

Such a load of crap.

I am glad I passed my test when I did!

Radar

I passed my test in 1984, had to do the then new 2 part test. Ride around a few cones – Part 1. Ride around the block, come back alive – part 2…job done! All seems so bloody complicated now!

TT07
    Participant

Passed mine in 1972. Ride round the block three times with the tester at the roadside watching you 1. Ride past and negotiate a right hand junction observing from behind. 2. Approach a crossroads and turn right observing from the front. 3. Same as 2 but after the turn observer stepping off the path into the road with arm up and palm facing to do the emergency stop. 4. Then do a longer circuit back to the test centre to give the tester time to walk back the 250 yards. Then 6 questions on the Highway Code. Oh, that was the 2nd test I took, as on the 1st one I ran into the tester on the emergency stop due to severe camber on the road and hopeless brakes on my Lambretta (dammit I didnt mean to let on about the scooter). Oh and that was for a fee of £3.60

ses310

I managed to get in before this fiasco of a test came in. Did mine in August 2008, I had heard about the new test and I am so pleased I managed to do the old one

Radar

Did TT07 mention a Lambretta…?

BigBen
    Participant

yeah this is rather silly but just goes to show how retarded the government is or whoever decided injuring riders before they get to the road was good idea. was gunna put the ex through the bike test as it was due to change to the more difficult test before it actually did…glad i didnt now….or is that wrong :D
    i hope someone somehwere feels very silly.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by TT07

Passed mine in 1972. ….Oh and that was for a fee of £3.60

Did he write your certificate out on a piece of slate?[:D][:D][;)]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.