Proposal to cut national speed limit

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Proposal to cut national speed limit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

Found this on AOL News and was quite shocked to read it.

The Government is considering cutting speed limits on most rural single-carriageway roads from 60mph to 50mph.

Most UK roads would face reduction in speed limit

Ministers believe the potentially unpopular move may be needed to cut the number of deaths among motorists and pedestrians. But the Automobile Association warned that there should be no “blanket” reduction, and instead called for a “targeted approach”.

Currently the speed limit on almost all single carriageway roads outside of towns is set at 60mph, except for at accident blackspots.
    However, road safety minister Jim Fitzpatrick is said to have been struck by figures showing that the rural parts of the road network were more prone to crashes.
    Mr Fitzpatrick is looking at reducing limits in a bid to improve the UK’s road safety record, which used to rank among the best in the world but has slipped in recent years.
    In 2007 there were 2,946 deaths and 30,000 serious injuries on British roads, with speed being a factor in 29% of them.
    The Government has brought forward a range of proposals to try to boost safety, including imposing six penalty points on motorists who break speed limits “excessively”, and punishments for using mobile phones while driving.
    There are also suggestions that a formal “drug-drive limit” could be introduced, after statistics showed a fifth of all road deaths were caused by drivers on illegal substances.
    AA director Edmund King told the Sunday Telegraph: “Rather than impose a blanket cut, the Government should adopt a targeted approach.”
    A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: “This is something that is being looked at, but no decisions have yet been taken.”

Tell you what, I enjoy my freedom and don’t fancy having my wings clipped. Round these parts (Worcestershire) the last 10 years has seen a steady increase in rural villages having speed limits lowered and the distances where they come into effect pushed further out from the village itself. I can honestly say that I do my best to stick to these limits, as annoying as they have become, but DO enjoy the freedom of the OPEN road. I remember the fuel shortages of the early 1970’s when ration vouchers were issued but never used and the NATIONAL speed limit was lowered to 50MPH. It sure was boring travelling at no quicker than 50 for the duration of that crises!

What are your thoughts on the proposal to cut the national speed limit?

TT07
    Participant

I have signed up to this petition against lowering the National Speed Limit:-

https://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I have no problem where accident blackspots are. I do think they should fix the blackspot long-term rather than just drop speed though.
    Otherwise 60 seems a sensible speed rather than an excessive one on rural SC roads.

TT07
    Participant

Result of petition, No 10 says a targeted approach is currently the option they will look at :-

Read the Government’s response
    Thank you for your e-petition.

The Government is not proposing to reduce the national speed limit.

On 21st April the Government published a consultation on the new road safety strategy: A Safer Way: Consultation on Making Britain’s roads the Safest in the World, which closed on 14 July. It sought views on the vision, targets and measures for improving road safety in Great Britain in the period from 2010.

Regarding single carriageway roads where the national speed limit applies, the Government propose to revise our existing guidance to highway authorities, recommending that lower limits are adopted where risks are relatively high and there is evidence that a lower limit would reduce casualties.

The Government believes that this targeted approach is the best way to ensure that speed limits are set at the appropriate level for each road.

The Government will announce the results of the consultation at the end of the year.

https://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20803

ses310

Wow they are being sensible for once !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.