Plater wins dramatic Pokerstars Senior TT

Home Forums Bike racing Plater wins dramatic Pokerstars Senior TT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

HM Plant Honda’s Steve Plater roared to victory in a dramatic and extraordinary Pokerstars Senior TT to bring an end to a fabulous festival of racing on the Mountain circuit.

The blue riband event of the 2009 Isle of Man TT saw incredible, record-breaking pace and heavy attrition as just 29 riders finished.

After a 30 minute delay following a brief rain shower, racing got under way at 2.30pm and it was obvious 15-times TT winner John McGuinness was determined to take his fifth Senior victory in a row.

He smashed his own outright lap record from a standing start on lap one, completing the circuit at an average of 130.953mph. His Honda teammate Steve Plater overcome his pattern of a slow opening lap to also pass the previous lap record with a 130.490mph and secure second.

Behind the HM Plant pair, Manxman Conor Cummins was on fire, moving straight into third.

On lap two McGuinness extended his advantage with another blistering run to Glen Helen and as the lap unfolded it was obvious it would be another history-making moment for the Morecambe ace – and sure enough he lapped at 131.578mph, despite slowing for his first pit stop.

Plater was keeping up the pressure, lapping at 130.912mph to maintain second, albeit more than 16 seconds down on McGuinness.

Lap two also saw Bruce Anstey’s TT nightmare continue, retiring the TAS Suzuki at the 33rd.

McGuinness looked unstoppable, gradually building his lead over Plater on lap three to almost 19 seconds, lapping at more than 125mph despite a 40 second pitstop.

On lap four the dramatic news came through that McGuinness had failed to reach Ramsey Hairpin, a reported broken chain forcing him to retire at Cruickshanks.

That left Plater commanding the race, with more than 10 seconds advantage over second place Cummins, and with Guy Martin putting his Hydrex Honda into third.

But that wouldn’t be the end of the story! Leaving the pits after his second stop, the luckless Martin’s chain snapped leaving him stranded in the pit lane and without a TT win for yet another year.

That promoted Padgetts Honda’s Ian Hutchinson to third, looking for another podium to add to his two race wins this week, and putting him on course for the Joey Dunlop TT Championship Trophy.

Despite a hard charge by Ramsey’s Cummins, which saw him take his first 130mph+ lap to confirm his position as fastest Manxman around the TT course, Plater managed his lead to record a famous victory in the 50th anniversary of Honda’s racing history.

Plater’s win not only brought him his hoped for TT superbike victory. Hutchy fell at Quarterbridge on the start of lap six and, although unhurt, the fall lost him the lead in the TT championship, which was won by Plater.

Speaking afterwards Plater, who also set a new race record for the Senior, said:

‘I really had it in my head to get a good result. I was all fired up and pushed hard on the out lap.’
    ‘It won’t sink in until I get a bit of private time. It means a massive amount to me.’
    Second place Cummins, who secured his first TT podium on Wednesday with a third place, added:

‘It’s a pity there’s not one more race really. I am over the moon to be where I am now. I rode with all my heart. I never in a million years thought I would have a go at the TT, and here we are with two podiums in a week.’
    Third place went to Uel Duncan’s Gary Johnson, bringing his Honda home on the podium despite a 10 second time penalty for s stop box infringement.

Johnson said:

‘It is brilliant to get a podium, especially in the Senior. It has been a difficult week, but the boys pulled it through and I have done the job on the track.’

Radar

Why is the trophy a unicycle?? Now that would be a race…a Gixxer engined unicycle!!!

Radar
    TT07
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Why is the trophy a unicycle?? Now that would be a race…a Gixxer engined unicycle!!!

[:p]Suppose its because of the power outputs, most of the race the front wheel is rarely on the road.[:p]

TT07
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Maybe something like this………

mcleanmonowheel.jpg

Just add clip ons, rear sets, helmet and leathers.

TT07
    Participant

The Trophy is actually a stylised version of Olympic God Hermes by Giovanni Da Bologna as a silver figurine astride a winged wheel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.