Gearbox problems on R1

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Gearbox problems on R1

• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by Gix.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Digger
    Participant

Coming back from Rivington yesterday I was changing down coming to a set of lights and the gearbox didnt change down,I had to bang it let clutch out then bang again untill I was in neutral.When you put it into first it wont engage but if you keep your foot pressed on the gear shift it will stay in first but you let your foot off and it goes into neutral.Same with 2nd,you keep upward pressure on gear shift and it stays,you take it off and it goes back into neutral.Also theres loads of false neutrals[:(]….can anyone help.

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Digger

….can anyone help.

yeah get a suzuki [:o)]

not helping much am I?[:I]

Digger
    Participant

[:p][:p][:D]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I have heard criticisms levelled at the R1 gearbox but more from design views than reliability.

It could be a clutch problem, does the clutch feel the same, ie the release point is the same as before and it holds the bike while it is in gear without creeping forward?
    Have you checked the fluid level (or cable if it’s a cable clutch)?

Digger
    Participant

Yes the clutch is fine ID,I was told it could be the selctor rods or somthing like that and it will need a strip down if it is.

Radar

Complete guess re: not holding a gear –

Could it be the pawl spring in the change mechanism? The change mechanism should be behind a separate cover, so you shouldn’t need to dismantle the engine to have a look. You will most likely need a new gasket though.
    If it’s not the pawl spring, the change mechanism is certainly a good place to start your search for broken springs and bent plates.

As I say, just a guess based on some of the symptoms you describe, so someone who actually knows the cause will be along soon

Digger
    Participant

Cheers radar,will have a look.

Digger
    Participant

O.M.G Radar you complete God,it was mate, the spring had snapped so was`nt returning.I will repeatedly kiss your feet when I see you again.I will need a gasket and the spring,what a relief.Thanks again.

Digger
    Participant

Just rang wigan yamaha and ordered the parts,which they should be in tommorow,less than £4 to get me back on the road.You would`nt think that sutch a small part could render you immobile.

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Digger

I will repeatedly kiss your feet when I see you again.

GET PICTURES!!!!!!

but only if Radar keeps his clothes on![:o)]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Great news Digger, could have been much worse than that.

Better get some good rides in before you have to lick the cheese from between Radar’s toes. Hope you like mushrooms…..

fungiFeet.jpg

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

Great news Digger, could have been much worse than that.

Better get some good rides in before you have to lick the cheese from between Radar’s toes. Hope you like mushrooms…..

fungiFeet.jpg

Oh god I feel sick lmao

Radar

Glad you got it sorted bud, but I have to admit I got the info off somebody else when I mentioned your problem to them!

@ Imperial Star Cruiser, you seem to have mixed up a picture of my feet with those of Gix!

Gix
    Participant

even my feet aint that bad![:o)]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

It’s easy to recognise Gix’s feet, they have 45 degree chamfers on the toes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.