engine trouble

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe engine trouble

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Stig
    Participant

I have been riding around over the weekend and riding home today and the engine keeps cutting out when braking/stopped at traffic lights but also try’s to cut out when riding along.
    can anyone help me with any info?

katana
    Participant

Could be either fuel or electrical. Intermittant faults can be a bugger!
    My guess is fuel stavation. Check air filter, fuel filter, make sure tank is clean etc.

The Stig
    Participant

will do when it cuts out the electrics stay on and when it try’s to cut out when riding it seems to be in the same gear do you think it could be the gearbox?

katana
    Participant

Doubt it’s anything to do with the gearbox. Easy to check though, does pulling I the clutch when it cuts out cure the problem? If it does then not gearbox.

Does the bike have a cut out switch for the side stand? Sometimes if the switch is dodgy vibration can cause it to switch when you don’t want it to (could be a vibration at a certain revs in a certain gear)’

The Stig
    Participant

yes it does have a side stand cut out will have a look at it

TT07
    Participant

Check your battery connections too – I had an intermittent cut out fault and it was just a loose battery terminal.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

^^ Good suggestions above

… the engine keeps cutting out when braking/stopped at traffic lights

… do you think it could be the gearbox?

Not likely to be the gearbox or clutch if it happens when you are stopped too, presuming you are in neutral.

You could pop the bike on its stand, run the engine and then jiggle the wire around the sidestand switch. Do the same for the main battery connections and handlebar cut-out switch.

If you have a lumpy tickover then fuel may be the issue, but a smooth tickover and then a sudden stop means fuel supply is less likely and electrics may be at fault. Remind us of the make/model of bike again?

The Stig
    Participant

its a pulse adrenaline 125 supermoto it does have a fuel tap but it seems to be a bit stiff

Radar

Did you check the sidestand cut out switch? I think that is a good suggestion

Is the bike still under warranty?

The Stig
    Participant

yeh I checked the side stand switch seems to be ok.
    And yes it is still under warranty so its going to go back to the garage.

Radar

yeh I checked the side stand switch seems to be ok.
    And yes it is still under warranty so its going to go back to the garage.

Could be something to do with the ‘kill’ switch?

Let us know how you get on at the dealers.

How many miles on the bike now?

The Stig
    Participant

just under 1800 km

Radar

just under 1800 km

Shouldn’t really be giving any problems at that mileage, hope you get it sorted quickly and easily

The Stig
    Participant

I hope so radar its doing my head in

Radar

I can imagine, don’t let them charge you for any work, it should be sorted on a bike that new and low miles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.