Biker Caught at 140

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Biker Caught at 140

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

From the BBC website.

Undercover unmarked bikes are being used in Kent.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8704111.stm

Footage of a motorcyclist being caught riding at 140mph has been released as a warning to bikers ahead of the Margate Meltdown event.

More than 30,000 motorcyclists are expected to visit the town over the Bank Holiday for a series of events and to raise money for charity.

Kent Police said it was using the opportunity to press home its road safety message.

The force uses unmarked bikes fitted with video cameras to catch offenders.

The patrols have helped to obtain an almost 100% conviction rate.

‘Irresponsible minority’

In one incident, a 37-year-old man was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and disqualified for 12 months after he was caught riding up to 140 mph on a sports bike on the A229 at Bluebell Hill, Maidstone, in May 2009, Kent Police said.

Ch Insp Andy Reeves, added: “The unmarked bikes are a significant asset in our drive to tackle dangerous and antisocial use of vehicles, as can be seen from the consistent successful outcomes we see at court.

“I would like to reassure all those that use the roads responsibly that our unmarked bikes and cars are there for their safety, and they have nothing to fear from them.

“Meantime, I would urge those motorists who think it acceptable to drive or ride in a dangerous or antisocial manner to think about the consequences of their actions.

“As has been seen, we will proactively target the irresponsible minority on the roads, and the courts take such matters very seriously.”

Margate Meltdown draws thousands to the seaside for a day of live music, trade stands and fund-raising entertainment.

Organisers have appealed for “as many people as possible” to turn up.

Champs
    Participant

140mph on a public road is a bit quick to be fair.

TT07
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Champs

140mph on a public road is a bit quick to be fair.

Yep, sure is and greater speeds are even quicker. TT fortnight is nearly here and over on the island 140 would be called moderate on non race days. Oh if only I were going ……..

Radar

The only thing that strikes me is why did the chase go on for so long? I am not defending the biker who was caught. But the first speeding and undertake took place early on…should he not of been pulled then. The following stuff seems to be almost entrapment

TT07
    Participant

I wondered just the same Radar, after the initial blast there were oppurtunities to pull him over as he did slow to the limit and the following rider had the chance to get past and pull him over, surely if the manner of riding caused a danger to the public this would have been done. The maximum recorded speed took place after the oppurtunity mentioned. The strange thing is it appears that a blue light is flashing and can be seen reflecting in the number plate, and if so the guy has chosen to run the gauntlet.

Champs
    Participant

Or he wasn’t watching his mirrors

TT07
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Champs

Or he wasn’t watching his mirrors

Yes I agree,and maybe he only slowed under the set of bridges knowing its a speed check spot (there was a roadside warning sign just a short distance up the road).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.