The USA and it’s vehicles

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe The USA and it’s vehicles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    GSXR1000
    Participant

OK then. I have been over there to wok and for holidays. I have friends and family there.
    These days it’s for pleasure.

The roads over there are awesome. My favourite road for biking is Highway 2, out of Los Angeles. Called ‘Angeles Crest’, it winds it’s way through 40-odd miles of curves, some which have to be taken really slowly but others that are 120+mph items!

‘Lattigo Canyon’ near LA is great too.
    I can remember around 1985 hurling a Ducati 900SS along that road and having a guy on a Honda NSR400 two-stroke come sliding past me in a turn. It turns out he was a test rider with one of the American bike agazines, his name escapes me for the minute.

‘The Rock Store’ is my favourite bike meeting place. Over 500 motorcycles on a good day turn out for the meet. That is where I rode the Boss Hoss 502.

Look these places up on Google or similar, Gix !

GSXR1000
    Participant

Get over there Gix and hire a bike. Go to California in April, May, September or October, when the temperatures are nice but not too hot. July and August can be torture. In JUly, 1985 it was 100 degrees at midnight in the garden and almost 115 by mid-day. We also had a forest fire on our doorstep for a week, which wasn’t much fun.

Gix
    Participant

Oh I would go over when its hottest, used to forest fires, but we used to call them veldfires, same thing, burn for a long time, nature such a formidable force.
    Work over there? What on earth was your job? Trade or something? Lucky to have family there too, but suppose I am too cos if I go back to SA I will only have to pay for flights, have family still over there, but America! Would love to go but for now it remains a dream, my situation just wont allow it, but one day…..so for now I will just sit back and read other peoples tales…..so keep em coming!!!![:D][;)]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

GSXR1000
    Participant

The work I did over there was mainly to support a long-standing (English) friend who had a growing t-shirt business from 1977 to 1991, which was doing really well all those years, but finally he sold out to a huge ‘name’ for lotsa-lotsa-lotsa dollars.
    Wise man. He retired at 34. (Drives an Enzo and rides a 999R, the bike dripping with carbon bits and producing 150 bhp at the rear wheel, an incredible achievement for a road-going twin-cylinder engine).
    He is also a brilliant rider. He lapped Laguna Seca 3.2 seconds quicker than me and only 2 seconds slower than Doug Polen, the WSB champion of whenever it was. (All times done on same bike, same day).
    I also travelled and worked with ‘The world of Outlaws’, a sprint car series and a type of racing I have always loved. (Try putting a tuned V8 sideways at 140mph, it’s scary, I know because I have tried it).

The Beast
    Participant

You got any pics form your time there mate?

Matt Black… The ultimate chrome cleaner..

Gix
    Participant

Yeah pics would be good![;)] I wanna see some exotic stuff!![:o)]

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Me tooo Lol!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

GSXR1000
    Participant

I only got a digital camera this year, but I don’t think they were out in 1977 anyway!

I do have quite a few normal prints, could they be scanned somehow onto here? Some are damn old though and the quality will be poor I would think.

sid
    Participant

if you have a scanner yes you can put them online then into a post

stress2.jpg

life sucks get used to it

GSXR1000
    Participant

Don’t have a scanner but will try and scan a few using someone else’s. Watch this space. Not too sure what to show though.
    I’ll put a few of the SEMA show, some Sprint Car racing ones, a few gorgeous riding roads, that’ll do to start with.

sid
    Participant

you could take them to most photo developing shops and they’ll scan them onto disk for you

stress2.jpg

life sucks get used to it

Gix
    Participant

even better if you have the negatives they will put them on to cd for you!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

GSXR1000
    Participant

Negatives? I will have trouble finding half the prints!

GSXR1000
    Participant

The hell with this scanning lark!
    I’ll get there hopefully.

XV16
    Participant

Boots have a very reasonable service, try them out for prices. Not just the ones you have of the states but any other old pics you have, favorite bikes etc. It’s nice to be able to look at them on the PC and play about in photoshop or the like, you can even repair some of the worst conditioned ones.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of The Bike Forum and its moderators.

“The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.