The Four Extreme Points of Wales Pt 2

Home Forums Great biking roads The Four Extreme Points of Wales Pt 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

Now that the Southerly Point had been visited it was a case of back tracking up to the M4 and heading once more in a westerly direction. The miles seemed to be clocking up pretty rapid whilst maintaining momentum with the flow of traffic…honest Officer I was just being sucked along!!! Onwards it was then in the direction of Swansea, I was surprised by the ferocity of the wind as I approached Port Talbot but the fairing of the Sports Bike shoved most of it out of the way, riding a naked bike would have been very uncomfortable I guess. M4 completed it was along the dual carriageway of the A48 into Carmarthen and then the A40 taking in St. Clears and Haverfordwest. At that point it was good old twisties along the A487 through the likes of Newgale all the way into St. Davids which is the Smallest City in the UK (pop 1797- in 2001).

Westerly Point

Arriving at St. Davids approaching nightfall, with over 320 miles covered it was imperative a campsite was found, that being a priority above food! I found a campsite approx 3 mile NE pitched and headed back for some grub, ate, and took cans back to the tent (I don’t drink drive/ride). Luckily as I got back to the tent the rain started, as I got wet on the inside the tent was christened on the outside!

Tuesday 17/08 Well, I awoke to a greyed out sky and the darker elements heading West to East so the prospect of a day long drenching was a little off-putting. I sat it out till 11 but realised that the sky was brightening a little.
    12 Noon, packed and mobile once more, it was back to St. Davids, a spot of lunch, photo of the Cathedral and out to the Westerly Point before heading northwards.
    DSCF4946.jpg
    St Davids Cathedral

DSCF4952.jpg

St. Justinians, St. Davids Lifeboat Station with Ramsey Island Beyond

St. Justinians was the point I had chosen which was along a tortuous 2 mile road to the West of the Cathedral. The St. Davids Lifeboat station is at the location and it overlooks Ramsey Island.

Lifeboat Station and Island duly snapped it was northwards I headed, and with the lateness of the departure I was unsure how far north I would travel that day. The A487 was the route to take and onwards I rode, some new ground for me and some familiar territory. Fishguard, Cardigan, Aberaeron, Aberystwyth and into Machynlleth then head towards Dolgellau.
    That view you get just North of Aberaeron is amazing, the SatNav says 20 miles to Aberystwyth which can be seen further up Cardigan Bay, with Snowdonia National Park twice that distance away.

The scenery changes at Machynlleth onwards through Snowdonia, being very dramatic and picturesque. I saw a large craft centre at Corris and decided I best grab a drink whilst it was open as 5 O’ Clock was approaching and there would be little chance of a stop after that time. Coffee and Cake rapidly despatched it was back to the job in hand.
    Once past Dolgellau heading Northwards along the A470 the road becomes amazingly straight for something like 8 miles with a magnificent skyline of mountains to the West. The A487 beckoned me towards and into Porthmadog, where once refuelled (once more) I again sought out a campsite. Now you would think that would be not a problem in that area, BUT I took the A497 along the Llyn Peninsular taking in Criccieth and Pwllheli and I was only seeking a basic site! Eventually having taken the A499 I saw a lone tent symbol at the roadside, checked the facilities, erected the tent (choice of field and no-one else camped) and in darkness headed back to Pwllheli for a curry! Not the best of places, and the food matched the location (sorry if you like the place but I didn’t!!!). Drink outlet sought and cans bought it was back the 3 or so miles to the tent to reflect on the miles travelled (only about 180 I seem to remember) through the course of the day along with the beautiful vistas etched in my mind. Oh yes, another wet night on the inside!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

That road to Aberaeron is pretty amazing, I remember it well from a ride I did quite a few years back to Dolgellau.

Brill write up and nice to see the helmet-hair making a welcome appearance!

Radar

Oddly enough I was in St.Davids last week too, but I was in the car. I was also in Haverfordwest. Are you stalking me??

More good stuff TT!

CCRevell
    Participant

Hey I was in St David’s last week as well!!! Must be a mecca for loonies with bikes!!! Now that is more like helmet hair!! Obviously it’s not a pot of gel like substance Radar – I’d be worried lol. If any of you mad people are ever in sunny Newtown let me know and we could meet for a brew.

Denise

Radar

Newtown is somewhere I do wonder to every now and again, be ready with the kettle

CCRevell
    Participant

No doubt you’ll be wanting cake as well!! Just as well I’m a domestic goddess as well as a biker chick – make a fantastic ‘light salad’

katana
    Participant

ooow Cake – I like cake!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.