TANKSLAPPER CAUSES ???

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe TANKSLAPPER CAUSES ???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    GSXR1000
    Participant

Can anyone explain why a lock-to-lock tankslapper occurred whilst out riding on a straight dual carriageway at the weekend? Aboard a low-ish mileage (21,000 miles) bike, the bars started to waiver and then it just got worse and worse until I was lock to lock and then the bike went down.
    Bike not too bad, I was a little beaten up but nothing broken.

WHY???????????????????????????????

Sober, dry evening, correct tyres for the bike (1998 1200 Bandit), I just don’t know what happened really.

Gix
    Participant

Did you hit any cats eyes/potholes/anything in the road?
    I used to experience a high speed weave on my old RD but the frame was like spaghetti on them things compared to modern bikes, shouldn’t happen on a Bandit unless there was a problem with the bike surely? Glad you are ok though mate.[:0]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

GSF K1
    Participant

Sounds like something may have been loose! Check the tail for movement or play.
    Check the front fork springs.. uneven tension etc..

Go out with a BANG… Light a fart!

Radar

Sorry to hear aabout the accident, but really glad you are OK.
    A number of things could upset the bike; as it was a Bandit did have the standard bars fitted? If it has aftermarket bars, without bar end caps this could lead to instability after hitting a bump or road imperfection.
    Were the tyres matched and how worn were they? Tyre pressures can also play a part.

When the tanksplapper started were in in a constant cruise or accelerating as wobbles tend to start when the back transitions from one state to another, basically something has upset its equilibrium.

Was it your bike GSXR? If not are you and the bikes owner different weights?

Vey hard to pin down the exact cause, without going over everything with a toothcomb.

Anyway, let us known if you suss what happened, it could serve as useful info for the rest of us.

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

MadSrad
    Participant

Possibly a soft rear shock or swingarm bushes.

“Its not about the horsepower, its about the balls!!”

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Sorry to hear your news GSXR, but very glad that you’re ok! Phew! Dave had a real tank slappa once, was going quite fast and had to brake hard, Dave let go of handle bars and we used our bodyweight to keep bike upright, once the handle bars stopped slapping the tank, Dave opened up the throttle to get out of it, thus avoiding touchdown, which was probably just as well, cause I dont think we would have survived a touchdown.

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

GSXR1000
    Participant

I should haver changed down and opened her up to get weight off the front wheel, on reflection, at a guess. I just panicked and shut the throttle.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I had loose head bearings causing a bad tankslapper at low speed. Couldn’t tell from usual tests (bike on centre stand, move front forks to check for play in bearings) but nipped them up a bit and it went away.

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Glad you got away with cuts and bruises Lol! And that you’re Ok which is the main thing!

GSXR1000
    Participant

Bike is a write-off because of the cost of spares and the naff-all value of a bandit.

newk
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GSXR1000

I should haver changed down and opened her up to get weight off the front wheel, on reflection, at a guess. I just panicked and shut the throttle.

i defy anyone to change down and nail the throttle unless your surnames rossy my only thoughts wen it happened to me were fuk this if im gunna fall off its gunna be at a slower speed than this (145) and i hit the brakes as hard as i could and managed to come out of it unscathed pure luck i recon or maybe i should change my name lol

GSXR1000
    Participant

True, but I was doing ‘only’ 85 and getting the weight off the front may have been the answer, followed by heavy braking?

I have recently seen an indicated 200 mph, on a disused RAF runway a car club had hired for the day, (they allowed me to infiltrate for 2 runs, kind sirs). It wobbled at 185 and I thought I was going down again. The scary thing is how a tiny lean at that speed sends you way off course.

barmy_carmy
    Participant

So GSXR…are you bikeless mate? Do sympathise Lol!

GSXR1000
    Participant

Bikeless? Huh? It was a Bandit 1200 I fell off, remember!

Wasn’t even mine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.