Suzuki RG500

Home Forums Jap stuff Suzuki RG500

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I have just been reading about this truly bonkers bike. Dating from 1987 this was one hell of a machine. Much closer in spirit to a true GP race replica than perhaps any other bike, including my beloved RD500LC! I wish that somebody could get a bike like this pass the regulations and into production. I know the bike 1,000cc and 600cc sports bikes are truly awesome, but there is just something truly unique with a wild two stroke screaming at the very edge of its performance envelope.

See I CAN be nice about Suzuki!

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Gordy
    Participant

The RG500 was put into production. It suffered the same ‘bean-counter’ de-specing, ‘legal-limp-dick’ detuning, mass-market production-reality problems that afflicts everything else that is formulated, designed, manufactured, marketed, distributed and supported by a ‘nice’, ‘responsible’ multi-national corporation. In other words, like the RD500, it was far, far less than it could have been. And anyone that eulogises about the RG or RD really has absolutely no grip on the realities of what their worshiped bike could have been if the product managers were not such a bunch of lack-lustre, careful, sensible, namby-pamby, company-man, conservative choir-boys.

Obviously this is just a personal opinion, but one backed by 25 years of automotive industry design experience… so bring on the arguments… step this way…

Gix
    Participant

So what bike do you ride Gordy?[:)]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, what a ride!

suck_animated.gif

Gordy
    Participant

So what bike do you ride Gordy?

Is the garage half empty or half full? At the moment I spy my early model Fireblade and trusty Suzuki RF900. Unfortunately owing to a spell without income both sit there untaxed and unused. It’s so sad. However all is not lost as I have a new contract and start work again next Monday (…hello Landrover, Solihull…). So new work means funds will be available to get at least one of the family back on the road in time for summer. Yipeeeeee.

Life is what you make it, so get out and shake it…

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Good luck at Land Rover Gordy. From my engineering days I remember they were a good company but run by a bunch of lack-lustre, careful, sensible, namby-pamby, company-man, conservative choir-boys [:D]

On another note, I think we’ve met before, did you have a GPZ900R a long time ago?

Gordy
    Participant

“Good luck at Land Rover Gordy.”

Well, it certainly was an ‘interesting’ first week!

On another note, I think we’ve met before, did you have a GPZ900R a long time ago?

Yup. It was a long time ago too! If you know Radar personally then I think I know who you are. Was it you that had the GPZ and the 944? (…he said, straining his aging and poorly lubricated memory…)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

That’s me! Porsche went a long time ago (round about when the kids were announced…) but I still have the GPZ900R. It’s 19 Years old this year and still pretty well standard.

Hell of a commute from Norwich to West Mids, have you moved there or are you renting/hotelling?

Gordy
    Participant

Nice to hear that you still have the GPZ. My GPZ was the only bike that I have ever bought new, and in many respects I wish that I had held on to it. Oh well.

“Hell of a commute from Norwich to West Mids, have you moved there or are you renting/hotelling?” – It’s a short term contract so at the moment I am staying in a hotel in Allesley (Coventry) and nipping home at the weekends. I am unsure if the contract will be extended, so, as always, we shall have to wait and see. There is obviously more automotive stuff around Brum/Cov than over my way, so I may end up being that way in the longer term. If so I may get the opportunity to meet you again in person. Watch this space…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.