spring is just around the corner

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe spring is just around the corner

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BigBen
    Participant

minus the odd blizzard and it being effing cold most of the time (the countryside is chilly as) spring seems to be rearing its head with blue skies being evident more often as the weeks go on, this in itself makes me feel pretty good. deep breaths of fresh air.

however with not having a running bike it is going to be pretty lame if the sun actually appears for more than one day when everyones at work like it does normally. the best springs/summers always occur when my bike is broken, or i dont have one at all, or i have one that works but no insurance or tax, so at the moment its set to be a blistering summer! you can all thank me later :P

when the fireblade (Vicky) ;) got her clothes stripped off and then the rest of her taken apart for a full fiddle, (might sound a bit wrong that bit) it was going to be an easy job as i like to think of myself as spanner competent, but nothing ever happens like that does it. And if it does you’re a very lucky person.

What started as a nice easy job to remove the engine, 5 bolts in total unless you undo the hanger bolts which is a futher 4 bolts turned into a massive Sh1t storm it seems with everything going wrong that could go wrong. Had i not been a massive stupid fisted silly billy thats obviously too strong for his own good, the cam cover bolt would not have snapped when i did the cam chain adjuster, which would mean i would never have had to remove the engine in the first place. But i did and now the engine blunt up refuses to come out.

the bottom bolt is seized inside the threaded collar that sit in the ally frame and the head is rounded off, nightmare! i would just bray it out with a massive hammer but if it takes the threads out of the frame on its way out then thats knackered.

most of you will be thinking “just cut it out you tit” not so easy, the bolt is half shrouded by the engine and the bottom spar of the frame is close by, i would like to not hit either of them if im honest. I also forgot to say i have no electricity in my workshop due to various reasons which has made it remarkably difficult to use my angle grinder. a 2.4hp generator just doesnt cut it so to speak. FML

ever had one tiny little job stopping you from doing the whole thing..right here buddy

BigBen
    Participant

UPDATE: electric re-wired by myself as no one else would touch it, I now have a nice RCD breaker switchery dubery ferkin. Seized bolt cane out after a lot of heat and a massive hammer, engine out, the bolt that I snapped drilled out with no damage to the head. I seem to be on a roll

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice one… its good when things fall into place :-)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Yep, nice one Ben.

BigBen
    Participant

Indeed. Got loads to do. And to buy, which is naff cos I’m skint. Still prob won’t be rolling by spring

Radar

Its sounds like it is coming together after a difficult start, any pictures? keep us posted as to your proress too.

We had fun getting the engine out of Ses’s Fireblade, on the 03 model the swinging arm has to com out too, there was not much bike left!

All good now!

BigBen
    Participant

Yup yup. Got my bandit gear up for sale and lots of people interested, which surprised me. So if that all goes I may have a bike for spring.

Why did his lump have to come out? I hate it when you have to take the swingarm out cos the only easy way to do it is lie it down on a cushion…pain!! Many a time having to do that

Oh yeah and some pics will be chucked on when I actually have something to show cos at the mo, it’s a pile of parts on the floor, having issues sourcing headraces

Radar

Yup yup. Got my bandit gear up for sale and lots of people interested, which surprised me. So if that all goes I may have a bike for spring.

Why did his lump have to come out? I hate it when you have to take the swingarm out cos the only easy way to do it is lie it down on a cushion…pain!! Many a time having to do that

Oh yeah and some pics will be chucked on when I actually have something to show cos at the mo, it’s a pile of parts on the floor, having issues sourcing headraces

For some work on the gearbox, all sorted now. It is a bit of a problem area on that year Firebalse apparently

BigBen
    Participant

Oh yeah I remember reading his posts on that.

You’ve reminded me about gearboxes actually. I’m looking to get one of those factory pro gear shift stars bought and slotted into my blade to sort out the horrid clunky shifts that the old girl always does. So if I get one (as it’s not crucial at the mo) then I’ll do a full write up with pics as it’ll be a decent engine strip I assume. Might be interesting to someone who knows

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.