Southern Spain Sept 08, Review and Pics

Home Forums Biking abroad Southern Spain 2008 Southern Spain Sept 08, Review and Pics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

The summer of 2008 will go down as perhaps the worst on record and as the rain pounded down on the roof of my car, its windscreen wipers struggling to cope with yet another deluge of torrential rain, I kept finding my thoughts wondering back to the glorious sunny days that Mandy and I had enjoyed riding in southern Spain. Those fabulous days had had only been a few months beforehand, but after the miserable summer we have all been enduring it felt more like a million years ago. I pulled into the works car park under the grey backdrop and just sat there. God, I felt so depressed! Then it came to me; why not go back to Spain? A few calls later and it was all sorted and better still Thumper and his wife were coming too  ~ excellent!   

We now fast forward a few more damp and grey weeks, through the wettest August ever and the damp early days of September and Terry of Bike Tours Spain is picking up the four of us from a sun drenched, if somewhat chaotic, Malaga airport.

After a 20-minute ride in his Cadillac we were sitting out on the terrace at the 100-year-old Cortijo overlooking Malaga that was to be our base for the next few days. Tired from an early start the riding would have to wait until tomorrow so we contented ourselves with a superb meal at a restaurant down in the local village of Estacion Cartama

Picture009.jpg
    MrsRadar, Spanish Biker (Terry), Mrs Thumper and Thumper himself, grinning as usual

Day One ~ On Days Like These

We awoke the next morning to strong, warming sunshine and the sight of three bikes lined up and ready for action; Terrys Ducati S4R and the two Honda CBF600 Hornets that were to be our mounts for the next three days. I plumped for the yellow one I had enjoyed riding so much during my last visit. Terry was joined by his wife Michele on the pillion of the Duke. She had only arrived home in the early hours from a business trip abroad and was too tired to pilot her own Ducati Monster 620, but she did not want to miss what promised to be a superb day.

Picture013.jpg
    Ready for the off

Finally the action got underway as we wound our way down the narrow, tight and twisty 9km that leads down the mountain from the Cortijo to Estacion Cartama, dodging some pebbles that heavy rain (!) earlier in the week had left strewn across the road, concentration levels had to be at 100% straight away, but God was it good to riding with the sun on my back again!  Thumper was taking things gently, getting in tune with the bike and giving his wife to settle back into riding pillion again after a break of a few years; she had not been on a bike very much since they started a family.

The first kilometres were spent wafting along the quiet, dry roads just enjoying the sunshine. The roads we took were the A7054 and A7077 towards Alora initially then the A343 past Alora itself. Tree lined sweeping bends, lovely. After 40 klicks or so Terry pulled into a small little cafe in Valle de Abdalajis where Terry, Thumper and I had an interesting chat with a Brit ex-pat who was in the process of loading a beautiful 1937 Alvis into a transporter that would whisk it off to a new home in Germany.

Picture014.jpg
    Impressive 1937 Alvis

We got back on the bike and the relaxed mood continued as we glided along the A343, I started hear the strains of On Days Like These (the theme tune of that iconic film The Italian Job, in my head!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJuVOrXv68)

We stopped again for another chill out in the charming village of Estacion de Bobadilla and enjoyed some freshly made cakes too. The fountain in the middle of the village provided a suitably relaxing soundtrack as we all enjoyed a wonderfully chilled mornings riding

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Attacking bend after bend is a great buzz, but sometimes the simple joy of just being on a bike, riding through stunning vistas in good company is enough in itself. It was in this spirit we continued along the twisty roads, straights rarely more than a few hundred metres long at the most. This suited the mood perfectly and the three bikes picked their way through a series of villages, the roads were a little bumpy in places, but the Hornets were coping with conditions with some aplomb. As it was my wifes birthday we headed a beautiful lake (the name eludes me), to enjoy a celebratory lunch in special setting

Picture027.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture035.jpg

The lake still looked stunning, but the level had dropped markedly since our last visit back in March. My wife enjoyed her birthday meal and Michele even talked the bemused waiter into sticking a candle into her ice-cream pudding and he looked on in amusement as we all sang Happy Birthday to You with some gusto.

Picture053.jpg

Picture058.jpg
    The birthday girl…

Back on the bikes once again Terry and Michele led us down the tight MA5602 through traditional villages such as Ardalas where the pace of life seemed so laid-back when compared to the rat race back in the UK. We hooked up with the A366 near El Burgo from here: Now this is a serious strip of tarmac and as soon as we hit the mood changed suddenly, like a switch being thrown. Throttles were twisted and exhaust notes hardened, the whole attitude of the ride shifted and the pace climbed significantly as the bends now came at us in quick succession. The next few klicks are a bit of a blur to be honest but I was certainly enjoying myself! Thumper was tucked in right behind me and both pillions were working hard on the back too. What a fantastic few miles!!

By the time we returned to the Cortijo we had covered over 200km on some challenging roads, but the near 30 degree heat had left us all tired and feeling rather drained, but still really satisfied with a cracking day of riding

Back on the terrace, an ice-cold beer in my hand and great music coming from Terrys sound system we all enjoyed another excellent evening that was neatly rounded off with a splendid sunset. Another two days of this to come…how would we all cope??

Picture064.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Day Two – Bump, twist, groove and views!

The day started with a quick blast down to Malaga and the coast road alongside a glistening deep blue Mediterranean. Ok it is a tourist trap and a little scruffy here and there, but the views makes the rough edges easy to forgive. We stopped for a drink alongside the Med as it gently lapped up a near deserted beach.

The A7 is a fairly typical dual carriageway and I was pleased when we all peeled off on J258 to sample the delights of the N340 and A7206 to Algarbarbo, then the MA104 to Sayalonga and the M5104 to Archez, followed by the MA4109 Sedella to Canillas de Acettono road. All were twisty as hell and Terry on his on own riding the Duke today was setting a good pace for me and Thumper to attempt keep up with as we squirted the Hornets from bend to bend, mainly using 2nd and 3rd gears. Speeds were not high as such, but on roads as demanding as these, riding 2 up you can only go so fast anyway. The Hornet is well suited to kind of riding and I was really enjoying myself, feeling really tuned into the bike once again. Thumper was not quite so happy as he is not a fan of the Bridgestone tyres (BT20s) the Hondas were shod with. However the huge grin spread over his face when we stopped to enjoy yet another delicious lunch with yet another stunning mountain backdrop suggested it was not exactly undermining his enjoyment!

Picture078.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture082.jpg

After the bumpy demanding roads we tackled in the morning the smooth, sweeping bends of the MA4106 to join the A356 provided with another chance to push the Hornets that bit harder; on few bends my boots were scrapping tarmac! Yahoo!!

The day was rounded off by checking out the views off the top of the mountain where Terry and Michele are based. Perched there is a quaint little white church built to commemorate the memory of three local hunters who all died in a mysterious accident. In an area where stunning views abound these are truly breathtaking and the pictures do not really do them justice.

Picture083.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Back at the Cortijo we had covered another 200km and yet again we took to the large terrace with Terry and Michele (and their delightful little dog Maggie), to enjoy another evening filled with laughter and a little too much booze! What a brilliant day!

Picture142.jpg

Day Three ~ Bike shows to knocking on heavens door

Another delicious home cooked breakfast set us up well for the last days riding of this trip (boo!). Terry and Michele led us to Vellez Malaga to suss out a local bike show, but after checking out the bike park the draw of great roads and glorious sunshine to enjoy them in proved too much and we didn’t go in! So yet more excellent roads followed(there is a theme emerging here) and we stopped for lunch overlooking Lake Vinuela. Here again I was struck by how low the water line was. Today we took in the A402, A7204 in and around Poenta dez Salia, Periana and Rio Gordo. All are superb and I found myself almost becoming blase until coming back to my senses!

Picture151.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture160.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Picture180.jpg
    Letting the jackets cool off rather than dry out for a change!

Picture179.jpg

In biking terms the best was still to come, the A7000 road to heaven; I rode this section back in March solo and it is perhaps, along with some parts of the A366, the best road I have ever ridden, anywhere. Smooth, ideally cambered, hardly any traffic and you can normally see a few bends ahead; it really feels like it was engineered with bikes in mind. In places it twists back over itself as you plunge downwards into small tunnels, cranked over boots kissing tarmac; I just wanted to yell out loud. Luckily my wife is a superb pillion and I tucked in behind Terry for a mesmerizing few kilometres, with Thumper and his wife in my wheel tracks. Boots were skimming tarmac as bend flowed into bend, you never want it to stop! This road is a real piece of  must ride tarmac. Please; you must trust me on this.

Picture196.jpg
    The A7000 Road to Heaven, how perfect is that??

Picture187.jpg

Sadly all good things come to and end and it was with a heavy heart that I pulled my Hornet into the Cortijo for the last time. The last evening out on the terrace was perhaps the best as the conversation flowed and laughter echoed out across the valley once again. Overall we all had a fantastic time and the UK summer blues had well and truly been banished. Once again Terry and Michele had been the perfect hosts, judging perfectly when to be attentive and when give you some space. As Arnie would say: “I’ll be back!!”

Try it for yourselves!

http://www.biketoursspain.com

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Wow, some great pics and another top write-up Radar. Looking out of the window at the moment, I know where I’d rather be.

Did you see any speed cameras out there?

HippoDrones
    Participant

Not jealous at all! LOL

That A7000 looks awesome! :p

TT07
    Participant

Excellant report as ever, I’m really jealous mate. Maybe one day I’ll take the plunge and book up!

max
    Participant

wot he said ^^^^[:D]

spanish biker
    Participant

very nice words and pics again mr Radar, had a couple of busy spells after you went, then had my internet down, tower got blown over, then the mother of all storms came and blew the electrics off for over 4 days, glad i kept the gene,so we have had a bit of a time with it all.am just popping on different sites e.t.c to let every one know i havnt been taken by alians, regards to all[:)]

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by spanish biker

very nice words and pics again mr Radar, had a couple of busy spells after you went, then had my internet down, tower got blown over, then the mother of all storms came and blew the electrics off for over 4 days, glad i kept the gene,so we have had a bit of a time with it all.am just popping on different sites e.t.c to let every one know i havnt been taken by alians, regards to all[:)]

Blimey it might not rain very often over there but it doesn’t Fook about when it does! Glad you are getting sorted out.

Radar

I have not read this back for a while, such happy memories. God, I love riding in Spain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.