Something new – January

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Something new – January

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by GSX Hooligan

An old at power supply and some spoons found in a skip, plus a glass jar and a bit of water mean i now have a silver plated metal keyring!

Pray tell us more!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

(And tell us about your pain if you can Gix)

GSX Rat
    Participant

well, firstly an old at power supply….

(1) ignore warnings on case re electrocution etc (actually, don’t if you dont know what you are doing!)
    (2) Fit switch inside case to switch 240 vac on/off (the thick lead coming out – shorten it)
    (3) Fit connectors to supply ov, +5v, )v and 12v
    (4) Chocco block for -5v, 0v and -12v
    (5) Fit 3 watt 6 volt lamp across 5 volt and 0 volt connection, this is to provide a little load which these supplies need to ensure voltage stability

You have now constructed a bench power supply for basically nothing.

Spoons – silver plate spoons found in a skip – free

Metal keyring – a bottle opener, thought i’d try something simple.

Glass jar – uh a glass jar

Water – erm.. guess what

Take a cable from the 12v connection, wrap it round the spoon. Take another cable from the 0v connection and wrap it round the keyring. Place both in a glass jar full of water, making sure they dont touch. Turn on supply – the current causes oxidation (or something, still reading up about the process) at the =ve terminal (the spoon) which causes metal to be removed from it (ie the silver plate) This metal is then deposited on the -ve terminal (whatever you want to plate), in this case the keyring…

Going to try it with different metals etc, apparantley copper is supposed to give good results…..

Will post a picture of the power supply at some point too, but am far to pi$$ed at the moment…

And, i was intrigued about the pain post too…………

power.jpg

EDIT : Yay – pic worked……………

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Wild01
    Participant

Ah Hool’s do have life insurance and a will mate!!![:0]If you electricute yourself can I have your bike!!![:D]

And Gixey, you’d need balls and a good kick in them to know what real pain is!!! Lol!![;)] Mind, I hear that child birth thing is a tad painfull!![:D]

Wilba Wild 01

toggsy
    Participant

I’ve actually found a use for business cards at last…..

Roaches for spliffs
    [:)]

Gix
    Participant

Wild01, childbirth is walk in the park….very very painful but worth it which makes to easier to bear. The worst type of pain is not physical, or pain that is ‘unproductive’, like a kick in the gonads![:p]
    Oh and that post was made while I was a bit plastered![:I] (Kids eh?)

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

GO ON! DONATE! YOU KNOW YA WANNA!

Gix
    Participant

And Toggsy? Cereal boxes good for that too…..[;)]

GSX Rat
    Participant

cereal boxes contain lots of rubbish in the inks! – dont use em

old birthday cards and the like are the best

or get a bong :)

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

Gix
    Participant

Usually the flaps on the edges are plain so contain no inks. As for the rest of the box…..how much do ya think I smoke?!!!LOL

Gix
    Participant

and besides……..inhaling smoke for heavens sake, a little bit of crap from the ink is hardly gonna make much of a difference! LOL! (must admit I have only ever used the top flaps anyhow, and the flap on the rizlas packet among other things!)

GSX Rat
    Participant

actually, all edges of the box are waxed, or treated with some kind of dye or bleach (how do you think they get em so white!) usually not with wax though – mainly different types of plastic – heat breaks down these products and some of em are not nice… 15 years in food production, you get to know these things!

Plain cardboard is the way to go.

Actually, on the subject though – i found plans a while ago for a home made vaporiser – all the good stuff and none of the bad, You need a soldering iron, a glass jar and a bit of tube, the soldering iron has a little bit of whatever legal stuff you are smoking on the tip, thru a hole in the jar lid. The jar fills with smoke and the tube also goes thru the lid to your mouth….

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hooly – seems a neat idea that plating. Let me know if it works. I always remember that the best chrome platers used a base of copper before the final chrome was applied, poorer shops used just nickel I think.

Cornflakes – HIGH in fibre…..

Gix
    Participant

Yeah hooly, I know about food production and plastics too, also was my job till got made redundant August 2003, so know they aint nice, but like I say, breathin in toxins anyhows and I dunno about your work enviroment, but you could say I had my fair share of breathing in crap from plastics!

GSX Rat
    Participant

well it definately works with silver plate onto steel, worked better with the 5 volt supply though, as 12v produced too much gassing and therefore pitting of the plating. Dont know about other metals though, give em a go! – you must have an old at power supply somewhere!

barmy_carmy
    Participant

if your trying to give up tobacco like me…….Try smoking a pipe! dont have to bother with roaches!

No1 ride, our FZX750

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.