snapped stud

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted snapped stud

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sid
    Participant

anybody know an easy way to get a snapped stud out of an engine without taking the engine out of the frame

Radar
    sid
    Participant

cheers radar that might do it

Radar

Let us know

sid
    Participant

i’ll pm you the results lol

Radar

Righto!

katana
    Participant

How much of the stud is still left proud of the engine?

If you’ve got enough I’ve welded a bolt onto the end of a really stubbon stud to get it out before. Weld the bolt on upside down i.e. head of bolt to the end of the stud. The combination of heat from the welding and the increased torque you can apply (if you use a big enough bolt) normally sorts it out.

sid
    Participant

only about 10mm showing i could try it but it would be thread side inotherwise i wouldnt get the welding head in tight enough dont have braising set up yet maybe i should scout ebay lol

GSX Rat
    Participant

put a nut over the stud, weld it on and turn it out when its cooled down – the heat from welding it will expand it in the hole and free it off…

sid
    Participant

thats what i thought after reading katana’s idea will it help to lube it i read somewhere if i cool the stud down quicker than the block it will help it come out?

HippoDrones
    Participant

If nothing else works, put a nut on the stud and drill a small hole through both stud and nut. then stick a metal dowel thro it. should be able to turn nut without it leaving the stud

GSX Rat
    Participant

if its a steel stud in an ally hole (most likely) theres no need, just weld on the nut and let it cool – the expansion of the stud in the hole when you weld it will break it free of the corrosion thats holding it in, and you will be able to just wind it out.

newk
    Participant

grind it flush then cut the head off a bolt and glue it inplace. no one will ever know

GSF K1
    Participant

Drill and tap a reverse thread into the seized bolt, then screw in a reverse threded bolt, as it tightens it’ll pull on the correct thread and draw it out.

sid
    Participant

ok got the stud out after 3 attempts used a mix of everyones helpful info thanks guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.