slim’s RF

Home Forums Rat bikes slim’s RF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    slim
    Participant

Heres my ratty rf, stuck together from a complete wreck in less than a week & not touched since apart from sticking secondhand tyres on it & topping up the oil

Ridden every day & over 6000 miles in 4 months, lives outside & there’s nothing on there that dont need to be there, i only painted it cos i already had the paint & the bars etc had been in the shed for years

PICT0009.jpg

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Looks like it should be standard army issue! Reliable bike then it seems.

Radar

Is it a 6 or a 9? Is that a Diversion tucked away in the background?

slim
    Participant

Its a 900,a very reliable & underated bike, ive been out over the weekend again (562 miles)& you wouldnt believe the amount of “sports bikes” this thing has shown its fat green ass to [;)]

Yup thats a divvy 9 in the background its one of my mates who had fallen on hard times, ive got it here to get it up & running again + get it ready for an mot now things are picking up for him again, its been stood for 3+ years so tha carbs are bunged up & it needs a battery etc, probably a days work for me there once i get the time

HippoDrones
    Participant

That looks pretty cool, had thought about doing a similar paintjob on my 07 GSX-R for its trackday bodywork! :D

Radar

My brother in law had one about 7 or 8 years ago and loved it. It was written off in a head on, bike to bike smash with a Fireblade! Gordy another forum member has just pit his RF9 back on the road after a lay off of several years. The RF has a bit of a misfire. Could be coils? Any ideas? 165 mph bike when fit if memory serves

Hope you get your mate’s Divvy 9 going too.

Radar

MikesRF900100600.jpg
    My brother-in-laws RF900. About 10 minutes latter it was written off…

GordonsRF9002005.jpg
    Forum member Gordy’s RF900.

slim
    Participant

Hi Radar a couple of nice rf’s there mate i particularly like the black one, nice simple paint appeals to me, pity it got written off i hope the brother in law escaped from the ordeal ok [?]I have to ask … what happened to the salvage [?][:)]

As for Gordy’s rf another nice tidy example [:D] my best guess is that if its been layed up for a while the carbs will be slightly bunged up from gone off fuel, i suggest cleaning out the tank & fuel tap filter, cleaning the carbs & blowing them out with an air line before checking/setting the float heights & sticking them back on, the coils on these tend to either work correctly or not at all although checking the leads for cracks/damage & putting in a new set of plugs wont hurt

cheers slim

Radar

Slim the Black RF was written off some years ago. Brother in law progressed to a new Yamaha Thunderace that he raved about and now has a 2005 Fireblade he hardly ever talks about…odd. The RF salvage went to the insurance company, but it was properly wrecked, you would not of thought a bike on bike smash would do that much damage.

On Gordys RF he has had all the fuel work done at a local dealer (in Norwich) hence the doubts on the electrical side. Could be they missed some gunk though I suppose

slim
    Participant

My Rf had been stood a couple of years & it took 3 attempts, much swearing,carb cleaner & blasts with the air line to completely clear them out, the problem was with the passages between the carbs rather than the jets or floats etc, it would run fine for a couple of days then loose power & occaisonally miss once some more muck got dislodged
    I honestly doubt a quick clean by the local stealership would sort a set of carbs that were even half as bad as mine were & if the tank wasnt properly cleaned as well it was probably cash wasted [:(]

The only other things i can think of that are quite simple to check & could cause a miss are as you say coils (although its rare for them not to just completely fail) the pickups which can have an intermittant fault, bad leads or caps tracking out or maybe a blocked air filter if the miss is at high revs

i’m not sure where gordy is in the world but if he’s close he’s welcome to nip round & try sticking my coils on his bike to see if there’s an improvement that costs nothing but a little time

Having said all that i still plump for it being a carb problem [:D]

Gordy
    Participant

I think you might be right there slim. I’ll have to have a closer look at the fuel system. Just gotta find the time…

slim
    Participant

This one’s done just over another 1100 miles since i last posted on this thread & is desperately in need of a service, the exhaust is blowing slightly from the collector & is really on its last legs but its still running well & i managed to find time to renew the front brakes & sort the fork damping out

Hard to find time to do anything on it when its my only transport but hopefully the es will be up & running soon so this one can get the attention in deserves [:)]

katana
    Participant

Slim. I love the paintjob on your RF. A friend of mine had one in the same colours as Radars brother in law – often over looked and underated bikes IMO.

Plus the Power Rangers ride them!!!
    sharkcycles.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeRcFTNHX5E

slim
    Participant

Hi katana
    i agree its a very underated bike & not really the sort of thing i’d normally go for as its really fugly, but it was cheap, fast, comfy & totally reliable on minimum maintainance

After the hammering this thing has taken in its stride over the last few months i’m converted & would have another tomorrow

BigBen
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Brother in law progressed to a new Yamaha Thunderace that he raved about and now has a 2005 Fireblade he hardly ever talks about…odd.

pah! if he doesnt talk about it he should give it to me, i’ll swap it for two 1200 bandits ;P and a scooter, and a mars bar!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.