Schuberth S2 Helmet, Halvarssons Prisma Jacket & Spinell Trousers

Home Forums Product reviews Schuberth S2 Helmet, Halvarssons Prisma Jacket & Spinell Trousers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

20130109_220158_zpsbebdc5f2.jpg

I recently purchased the above.

The lid felt really good quality in the shop and has some nice features (built in sun visor and a safer strap that stops the lid rolling off). Although I have not yet worn it in anger I am a little disappointed that some of the lining isn’t held in very well and the trim is also not very securely fitted either. I will update this once I have actually worn it out on a bike.

The leathers are a cross-over between sports leathers and textiles so are light and comfy like textiles but also have a sporty cut (with knee-sliders) and a higher level of protection from the leather in strategic locations. First impressions are a quality product with decent armour (I opted for the optional extra back protector). They are a strange cut tho… I know I am stumpy but the legs and arms are very long compared to the waist/chest so the knees and elbows sit just a tad too low but with boots and gloves on it holds them in a better location. Again I shall add to this once they have been worn on the bike. :)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Never heard of Schuberth Pete, are they a new brand?

HippoDrones
    Participant

they been making motorcycle helmets since 1954:

history_01.jpg

They have supplied Michael Schumacher with lids since 2001 too.

They are assembled by hand…. which unfortunately is why mine is falling to bit I think as machines make less mistakes.

I wore it for a ride today and a clip that holds the lip of the helmet to the shell has broken, I am hoping that is why the lid is also the noisiest helmet I have used in a very very long time…. considering the main reason I went this route was to get a quiet helmet I do hope it is just due to the clip breaking. Also the base padding is not very well secured but again I think that would fit better if the clip was replaced too. I am going to take it back to where I got it tomoz and get them to repair it, am also taking back my RUKKA jacket as the zip keeps on pulling apart which means my winter kit is cold, my wet weather kit is not waterproof and my crash protection is non existent…. shocking for what is about £600 worth of jacket that has only covered around 1000 miles!

I have not had much luck with bike kit recently…. I do hope the Halvarssons suit is far more durable (I have still not worn them out on the road as it was too cold for them today).

Radar

They are assembled by hand…. which unfortunately is why mine is falling to bit I think as machines make less mistakes.

I wore it for a ride today and a clip that holds the lip of the helmet to the shell has broken, I am hoping that is why the lid is also the noisiest helmet I have used in a very very long time…. considering the main reason I went this route was to get a quiet helmet I do hope it is just due to the clip breaking. Also the base padding is not very well secured but again I think that would fit better if the clip was replaced too. I am going to take it back to where I got it tomoz and get them to repair it, am also taking back my RUKKA jacket as the zip keeps on pulling apart which means my winter kit is cold, my wet weather kit is not waterproof and my crash protection is non existent…. shocking for what is about £600 worth of jacket that has only covered around 1000 miles!

I have not had much luck with bike kit recently…. I do hope the Halvarssons suit is far more durable (I have still not worn them out on the road as it was too cold for them today).

That is not a very good showing. I bought my textile jacket from a show a couple of years ago…£40 and it has been brilliant so far

Radar

20130109_220158_zpsbebdc5f2.jpg

I recently purchased the above.

The lid felt really good quality in the shop and has some nice features (built in sun visor and a safer strap that stops the lid rolling off). Although I have not yet worn it in anger I am a little disappointed that some of the lining isn’t held in very well and the trim is also not very securely fitted either. I will update this once I have actually worn it out on a bike.

The leathers are a cross-over between sports leathers and textiles so are light and comfy like textiles but also have a sporty cut (with knee-sliders) and a higher level of protection from the leather in strategic locations. First impressions are a quality product with decent armour (I opted for the optional extra back protector). They are a strange cut tho… I know I am stumpy but the legs and arms are very long compared to the waist/chest so the knees and elbows sit just a tad too low but with boots and gloves on it holds them in a better location. Again I shall add to this once they have been worn on the bike. :)

Looks a bit over the  top for a bit of cooking? Get one of those clip down lid fast fryers and you wont need to wear so much kit!

Seriously be interested to see how you get on with the new gear

HippoDrones
    Participant

will hopefully turn the new lid into a positive review once it has been fixed, and I have good feelings about the new suit :)

HippoDrones
    Participant

the lid is now back for repair, they are being really helpful and apologetic. I should get it back in a week (or 2 if it has to go back to Germany). Am happy that the problems of noise and the bottom padding will be fixed once the clip is replaced.

ses310

Would the shop just not replace it with a new one seeing as it’s faulty?

HippoDrones
    Participant

they offered to but I would still have to wait while they got hold of one in the same colour… I have no probs with the lid other than this fault so am happy for them to repair it… I have a few lids I can use in the mean time :)

ses310

Yes you do have one or two to choose from!

Radar

Got the lid back yet Pete?

HippoDrones
    Participant

nope, not been here tho so will give them a call in the morning! :-)

HippoDrones
    Participant

have had my lid returned and it now doesn’t fall apart! :D

I took it for a test today along with my new leathers to see how they performed. The lid is still noisey, but is much quieter than it was… I think I need to ride back to back with my Arai and Shoei to compare it as my Davida open face helmet is so quiet its like wearing ear duffs so not really a fair comparison.  I used the sun visor on my way home too and it is easy to actuate and use, the nose cut out is a little distracting at first but that is out weighed by its accessibility.
    The leathers I have mixed feelings towards… their sizing is just stupid….. designed to fit runner beans not real people. The legs and arms are too long and the zips on the cuffs do not have a flap so potentially could unzip a little when putting gloves on and the trousers are so long I have to almost fold them up to get them to fit my leg.
    They are however very comfy and look fantastic quality. The internal pockets are useful but their zip is hard to undo unless the jacket is fully undone too. I think when I am used to them I will love them and they should last me many biking years
    I’ll continue to review them as they cover more miles, I’ll also see how the helmet compares back to back against the others for noise too.

HippoDrones
    Participant

have ridden back to back with the Shoei and the Schuberth is very noisy still compared to it. Guess I’ll not be able to give up the ear plugs just yet then lol :D

Have also found that although the visor is fitted with a Pinlock system (get one if you don’t already – Flippin amazing invention), the integral sun visor is not which means in the cold like today it steams up on both sides so then takes twice as long to clear as even a normal dark visor would that didn’t have a Pinlock fitted. Am guessing in the warmer weather it won’t be such an issue, and it is really handy in winter (ok its supposedly nearly spring but it was snowing earlier) with the low sun catching you out when you come round a bend straight into the sun as it deploys and raises back up with great ease. I have a feeling that I’ll be looking for a dark visor for it tho for summer use and will get one with a Pinlock just like the clear has already fitted.

This is a very annoying situation to be in tho as I have sacrificed noise, weight and paid extra for a lid that I will now probably have to spend £40 on a new visor for and then £25 for another Pinlock insert. Which puts the cost of this lid in the current painted Arai RX7 GP price range.

Maybe this lid will be my winter choice as the hi-vis def helps cars see me and then move to let me filter more safely. Then when I can afford it buy another Arai (which I am repeatedly kicking myself over and over and over for not doing so in te first place…. they fit me, they crash well, the vents work and they look all right too I guess.

I only changed from Arai to Shoei to see what peeps were raving about and was dissapointed, then got this Schuberth to replace that as it was crap… I should have just stuck with what I know and have  had £500 more in my pocket!

Swindon Andy
    Participant

I’ve seen pinlocks advertised that go dark in the sunshine. A bit pricey but might still be worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.