Sat Nav advice

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Sat Nav advice

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    exceliom
    Participant

My old streetpilot 111 has now got serious dementia. So now need to up grade I want to stay with garmin I’ve seen a few travellers using car ones on bikes, so any advice?

Radar

PM Ses310 or Champs, both are regular sat nav users on their bikes.

Thumper uses a bog standard car TomTom Go, but the amount of times it has fell of the bike is amazing. Surprised it still works at all

I am interested in the outcome here as I want a bike sat nav now.

ses310

I use the Garmin Zumo 400, it’s been around a few years now but you can update to the latest maps. It doesn’t have bluetooth like the latest ones but I use it with an intercom system anyway so no that fussed.
    You can pick these up used from the likes of eBay for not too much money. This is a bike one by the way.

Link to Garmin
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/discontinued/zumo-400/prod9113.html

exceliom
    Participant

Going to buy a new one as my previous have all been 2nd hand and could never register them with Garmin. I only use the thing for getting thru citys , finding campsites and sometimes download openmaps for greater detail. I would like to hard wire it to the bike but will need a 12v to usb under the tank, most ive used only last a few weeks. Has anyone had a solution to this?

ses310

When I used my car sat nav on the bike I got a optimate to normal cigarette 12v socket as I had an opitmate lead on the bike already, worked really well and could easily remove it too. Cheap solution too.
    The Garmin 350LM is supposed to be really good but also pretty pricey.
    I didn’t register my garmin but found I could download patched maps

exceliom
    Participant

Cheers ses310

HippoDrones
    Participant

I can’t remember the model number but purchased a Garmin Zumo for my trip round Europe.  Cracking bit of kit.  Pretty much helped make the holiday so amazing.  Will have a look what model it is when I get home.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

@Exceliom – It’s worth checking if you can root your old Garmin before you consign it to the bottom drawer. Some new firmware and maps work wonders.

HippoDrones
    Participant

it is the 350LM that I have. Mounting it was easy although when I get the chance I will look into re wiring it through the ignition rather than directly off the battery to reduce chances of shorting the battery in bad weather if it is left outside parked at any point (the chance is very minimal as the contacts are spring loaded and look mostly waterproof but better to be safe. I also fitted a cigarette lighter style powerpoint for charging my phone which is damn handy too.

20130519_130026_zpsc75d0827.jpg

exceliom
    Participant

The Streetpilot 111 is so slow and when it dose get me completely in the sticks it just gives up. On the plus side I’ve seen some cracking remote places in Spain and Portugal.

Champs
    Participant

If I remember right mines a TomTom Live 820 with the HD traffic option. Its a standard car satnav but I have it stuck to my dashboard on the bike. Works really well and can be operated with motorbike gloves on, and if its located in a decent place can be operated on the move (not that I would, officer), I have a 12v socket located under the riders seat to power… 12 volt stuff! The new incorporated suction cup on the TomTom works well although on some surfaces I would advise you get better results if you dampen the suction cup first (ie. spit on it)

I have owned a Garmin before and thought the user interface was complete and utter crap, took bloody ages to enter where your going, the TomTom is so much easier to navigate around, but its personal preference I guess, although I would admit TomTom satnavs seem to have a go slow if they get too warm, my screen tends to slow down and the charger stops working, a simple fix is to keep it cool!

Radar

I like the Tom Tom Go that I have now donated to my daughter, what way do you think you will go in the end Exceliom?

exceliom
    Participant

Hi Radar, Iam going to stick with garmin because I’ve got used to the basecamp programs. As the machine, a bike one is overly expensive and I use it mainly to find campsites and as kmph speedo.
    A cheepish car jobbie with a SD slot should work just fine.

Radar

Hi Radar, Iam going to stick with garmin because I’ve got used to the basecamp programs. As the machine, a bike one is overly expensive and I use it mainly to find campsites and as kmph speedo.
    A cheepish car jobbie with a SD slot should work just fine.

I think that a car unit is the way I will go too

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.