Pyrennes planning thread

Home Forums Biking abroad Pyrenees, France Pyrennes planning thread

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Champs
    Participant

I am free from midday so just say a time

Radar

Afternoon would suit me best while Mandy is at  work. I drop her 12:30 ish. So any time from 13:30 suits. We could have a good afternoon of it. MSes is on call which could be a problem if he is called out.

Mads
    Participant

I wont be able to do that early as the inlaws are round. However feel free to start without me and I will join you as soon as I can.

Champs
    Participant

I can do half 1.

ses310

I will have to see what happens on the day as on call

Champs
    Participant

We need to get this trip sorted, so who ever can’t make it needs to make notes with dates available etc

ses310

Dates arn’t really a problem for me within reason. Hopefully will be able to make it but never can tell till the time

Radar

Well ses, champs and I had a 3 hour planninmg session today.

We are really struggling to get the ferry dates to work for the original plan. 9/10 days holiday seems to be needed, so everything from Switzeland, Italy, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Ireland and Scotland was discussed as an alternative destination. Very frustrating.

So the options we have now:

1. Do the original plan and accept the 10 days holiday
    2. Some sort of run to some decent German roads
    3. Do a week in Scotland…this also has the benefit of being quite cheap.

Bit more thinking to be done…

ses310

Alot more thinking! It is proving very difficult to sort out

Radar

I searched a lace that organises tours in the area for bikers and asked them if they knew of anywhere that hires out bikes, so we could fly down there:

https://www.pyreneesmotorcycletours.com/motorcycle_tours.php

This was the response to my email:

Hi Tony

There is a company at Pau, http://www.location-2roues.fr . We have never used them but they are the only ones local we know of. Another option is http://www.imtbike.com who are based in Spain at Bilbao and Barcelona that we know of. I think they are part of the BMW agent there. We know people that have hired from them but they are not cheap, I think you are looking at about 100euros a day depending on what you hire. What about coming into Roscoff,
    Cherbourg, Caen or St.Malo? They are all doable down to us in a day depending of course at what time the ferry comes in at. Where you live in the UK sort of determines which airport you would use to fly over here. To find a hire place near to any airport type “location moto” and the name of the city you are flying into and something should come up albeit in French.

Happy searching and of course Happy Christmas!

Kind regards Phil and Belinda

Phil and Belinda Battersby
    Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours
    10 rue Marque Debat
    65360 Vielle-Adour
    France

ses310

That looks to be a pretty expensive option, but an option non the less I guess

Radar

We need to make a call on this before I go back to work next Wednesday…I need to get in quick in order to book time off

Champs
    Participant

I vote Scotland, or Switzerland

France will still be there in 2014

If you book off the 5 days from the 21st? Then regardless what happens we can find something to do for a week

Radar

I vote Scotland, or Switzerland

France will still be there in 2014

If you book off the 5 days from the 21st? Then regardless what happens we can find something to do for a week

I will book those days off, good idea

Mads
    Participant

Sorry not been replying much… Christmas with the in-laws and then came down with Labyrinthitis.

I dont mind Scotland, Switzerland or still looking at Pyrenees but going through France (we would need to do a long stint for 2 days in total which I’m happy to do).

I’ve looked at the figures that Champs has put up and going through France could be even cheaper…

Fuel  for 670 miles (one way) @ £1.30 per litre (based on 40 mpg) = £98.99

Hotel for Friday night near Folkestone = £24.00

Ferry (return) = £36.00

Hotel for Friday night in Calais = £26.50

Total = £185.49 return

Compare this to just the ferry crossing price to Santander and Bilboa which is double the price.

Plan would be:
    Travel down to Folkestone on Friday 21st
    Ferry across on Sat 22nd
    Travel through France on Sat 22nd
    Stay at Tarbes on Sat 22nd
    Arrive at base camp on Sun 23rd

Leave base camp on Fri 28th
    Stay somewhere near Calais on Fri 28th
    Ferry back on Sat 29th

The above gives almost 5 days in Pyreenes. What do people think?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.