My New Ride

Home Forums Members’ bikes My New Ride

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    BigBen
    Participant

Don’t jinx it :O

BigBen
    Participant

Progress report as of end of trade monday.

Finally completed the GSXR1000 K4 USD fork conversion on my 1995 Fireblade (Vicky) using all standard equipment by just using a custom made spacer and a custom bearing. This has had the benefit of not needing billet yokes making up or a steering stem swap which I don’t trust. The main benefit to me will be (hopefully) better handling with having newer forks, radial brake system so hopefully she will stop when I command her, and a 17″ wheel so easier to get tyres for and not as twitchy on the steering. We will only find out after it’s on the road and a report will follow.

All in all this mod has cost just shy of £600 but I reckon it’ll be worth it in the end, plus I think the forks look better than the standard ones, it beefs up the front end. But judge for yourselves.

C00FF09F-C4E7-402F-B213-AC94FA8A5C88-1236-00000107E1EE6DEF_zps0db27034.jpg

D7CAC207-47EE-4EAA-8192-7B69B1A656EE-1236-00000107C480951B_zps7e4f556b.jpg

Also please excuse the mess, we are in the process of a stupidly big clear out of crap! And should end up with somewhere I can actually walk through without breaking something or breaking myself.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Awesome sauce… keep at it matey!

katana
    Participant

Looks good Ben.

Is there much difference in length between the standard and gixer front end?

BigBen
    Participant

Taaaa. Half inch shorter, perfectly acceptable by my standards, though if we drop them half inch through the yokes then it’ll turn more like a standard blade and be the same length but still with a 17″ front wheel and USD forks. It’s like Christmas!

Radar

Be interesting to see how it has affected the handling and feel when you get the bike back together

BigBen
    Participant

If*

Radar

If*

You will, keep at it!

BigBen
    Participant

shouldn't revive old threads but i'm going to anyway as i'm still on with building the very same bike! :D
    pic has been posted to another thread but hopefully i'm actually going to finish it sometime in the next year or so or at the very least so here it is again.

blade_zpsrdcle83y.jpg

since this thread started i have had two swingarms, both VFR750 single sided arms. unfortunately had some financial issues shortly before i stopped posting updates so i sold the swingarm and the USD forks. so for now ill be running the standard fireblade forklegs and 16 inch front wheel. another VFR750 arm came up cheap so i snapped it up a few years back, stripped it cleaned it and replaced the bearings and seals. still got the same wavy disc and rear sprocket.

new parts i have acquired for this 1995 fireblade is the 1997 engine, capacity is up from 893cc standard to 918cc, yeah its not a huge jump but its still higher, with a new engine came new wiring, with the new wiring comes new carbs with a TPS sensor (1995 model didn't have them) still looking for a decent set that aren't ridiculous money. i will also be needing a 1997 CDI unit. i have mounted a 2004-2006 CBR1000RR sunbframe with seat unit, riders seat will also be getting fitted when i get the subframe spot on. though its not far off perfect.

managed to find a custom billet top yoke with risers for about £80 on ebay so that went on the build, and also grabbed a bargain of a KOSO speedo. always wanted one and when one came up off a track bike for £50 i had to have it. fitted ZX10R clutch and brake perches as i had spares from my ZX10R as i have upgraded the brakes to a radial master cylinder, more on that in the other thread.

list of parts i need to get her running other than battery and oil etc:
    1996/1997 carbs and CDI unit.
    1996/1997 radiator and coolant hoses.
    and a lot of hours free to wire it all up. then headlight/indicators all the boring stuff. oh and i need to make a battery tray. there are hundreds of hours work left to make sure its right before it can grace the road but finally its looking promising if i am honest. enjoy

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Makes sense to sell the parts when you need the cash, seems like there are often bits on Ebay for these bikes that you can get later on. Nice that you could use some ZX10 bits too.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.