My New Ride

Home Forums Members’ bikes My New Ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    BigBen
    Participant

Sooooo guys and gurls, this has been a long time coming but here it is, a new thread for another bike to add to the portfolio so to speak. I know how you all literally can never wait for these updates with pictures and the what not or that might just be Radar ;) but anyhoo let’s get on with the madness. Instead of just a couple of picatures and a list of what it is/has bolted to it, we can have it as a little bit of a how to (totally ruin a bike) and throw something together for a laugh. Why Not!

Oh there’s a catch, Because let’s face it, everything in life has a catch!! We will start from the beginning because starting at the end is too easy, so here’s the first update, it’s called having a few parts and cleaning a rear caliper….

335E53EF-E3EA-4F37-9430-C16F68F4FCE6-27022-00001E30EAEDF3A9_zps9989290e.jpg

Rear caliper and hanger, Rear stainless wavy disc because it was cheaper new than buying a second hand standard disc!!!! And a Koyo taper roller bearing for my headstock, exciting or what!! Stripped the caliper down last night to give it a bit of a clean and clean the threads out etc, it needs painting really but we will see how far we get, as I’ve found a cheap powder coater but the turn around won’t be quick enough so next winter it will all get coated.

Also we all know how good weight reduction is, check this out!!!

75194804-1E5E-4505-83EC-AC0459B40C79-27022-00001E30D4B5EDBE_zpscc563404.jpg

I’m sure you are not supposed to be able to see through your pads!! There is zero pad material left there, at all, not even a whisper! Really makes you wonder about some people…

Anyway that’s all you’re getting for now, as I said before we are starting from the basics, and over the weeks you will be given more bit by bit. I should mention it has to be on the road for the 29th of march as she’s going to a bike show, so we will see how far we get.

katana
    Participant

Looking at the state of the pads it’s no wonder you needed a new disc!

I do like a project thread.

ses310

Yup not much in the way of pads there!
    Looking forward to future updates

Radar

I think shim is more fitting than pad!

Look forward to the updates

BigBen
    Participant

Noooo it didn’t come off my bike! Bought the caliper off feebay! In fact I bought it all off there :)

BigBen
    Participant

Nothing exciting to report, (as usual) but this is what you get for your hard earned £43.

DF778141-279A-46D5-B61E-3C4DFEE360A2-29684-00002122F073BB13_zps00f6a611.jpg

Includes an HRC brake reservoir kit 4pcs, rear wheel spacer £12.80!!!! Cam cover bolt as I snapped one plus the rubber, and lever rubbers. So not much for £43 but feebay didn’t stock most of it blah!

Radar

I love the smell of new parts in the morning…

BigBen
    Participant

Good innit :)

This just in, my American custom bearing has made it’s way here, no customs charges. Jobs a peach :) will be in by 2moro, I might have a rolling chassis by closing time

HippoDrones
    Participant

awesome, that saved a few squids :-)

BigBen
    Participant

Indeed. I’ll be honest I’m not very impressed with it, the race is fine and looks good quality, the cone looks good quality, the rollers look pants and the cage is cast which makes me think its probably going to fall apart! But we will see as I’m sure I’m covered by their insurance on defective stuff.

0AC4784E-E7D8-47F2-BD62-E59BF5D75408-32746-000023D835C9BC99_zps76819c11.jpg

Radar

Be interesting see how it copes

BigBen
    Participant

Aye tis dinky though, I’m not sure I’ve explained why I have had to import this so I will give an idea of why so no one is confused.

When I took the original forks and yokes out of the bike it had a 55mm OD lower race, and a taper roller bearing fitted with a 30mm ID. The top was a shallow race (about 5.5mm high) 47mm OD and 26mm ID caged ball bearing. Now this is an older bike and there’s a number of models that have the same 26x47mm and 30x55mm headrace bearings, but most modern forks (that I’ve found out from other forums) use a 30x55mm bottom, but the tops are really different. In which case if you’re looking at fitting USD forks to your older bike you’re going to have an issue UNLESS, you can afford custom yokes OR a steering stem swap from your original to the new lower yoke or order this funky little bearing.

At some point I’d like some custom yokes made up but at the moment it’s just not possible, despite already having the ally sat in the workshop. So in conclusion this bearing is a cheaper alternative costing Just £34 odd quid Inc delivery and will therefore allow fitment of my USD fork legs using both standard yokes and also the lighter than standard ally steering stem instead of the rusty one I took out. Pictures to follow

Radar

Any more progress to report Ben?

BigBen
    Participant

Negative. Not been down’t workshop for weeks, I’m somewhat lacking in drive to do anything at the moment.

Radar

Negative. Not been down’t workshop for weeks, I’m somewhat lacking in drive to do anything at the moment.

Know the feeling, this freezing weather is not helping things either!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.