Mud, mud, glorious mud! Ride 080309, pics!!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Mud, mud, glorious mud! Ride 080309, pics!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Today was my last day before I go back to work; the sun was shining and the sky was blue, completely at odds with the treerible weather forcast. So I dragged out the Thundercat and Thumper rode over from Brum to join me on his Tiger. By the time he arrived the weather had changed and it was pouring down…as the bike was out already and Thumper had ridden 30 miles to join me, I just thought ‘oh sod it’, and decided to press on regardless.

We had barely got underway when the heavens really opened and we decided to go a whole 3 miles and stop at the cafe in Bewdley! However by the time we got there the weather had improved (slightly) and we carried on, taking the locally famous ‘switchbacks’ road that runs alongside the River Severn, that looked swollen and angry today. A big motocross meet was taking place in fields next to the road and I was tempted to stop and watch but we carried on, picking up the A451 and going through Dunley. The rain was still coming down, the roads were wet, mud and gravel strewn. Grip was in short supply. Now this doesn’t sound like the recipe for a classic days riding, but I find it satisfying to ride in these conditions occasionally as it requires a delicate touch on the controls, picking your way around the various bits of potholes, gravel, road kill, mud etc etc

We paused briefly to take the superb view of the Malverns, set against an expansive, angry looking sky. Both bikes were absolutely filthy by now and splattered in mud from top to bottom. Oh well, we buy ’em to ride ’em!

DSC00132.jpg
    A somewhat muddy Thundercat against a moody, stormy backdrop with the Malvern Hills off in the distance

DSC00135.jpg

Overall the B4197 is a challenging, bumpy, twisting road that would be great fun on the right bike: On a Supemoto you would be untouchable on here if you knew what you were doing.

We turned onto the A44 towards Bromyard and soon spotted a cafe with a biker friendly sign outside. No bikes in evidence, but then the weather was really bad by now! There was a warm welcome and the food was great. Give it a try when passing this way. Overtly biker friendly places deserve our support.

DSC00137.jpg
    The food at the Biker frindly A44 cafe is of somewhat higher qulaity thn the sign! Well worth a stop for a cuppa and a bacon butty

Suitably warmed and refreshed we continued towards Bromyard on the A44 for a couple of miles before heading back towards Stourport-on-Severn on the B4203. This is a more open road than the 4197 and under more normal circumstances a fair bit quicker, but the already bad weather had got a whole bunch worse as a raging, black sky opened up on us like a brodside from a battleship. The rain was sweeping across the road almost horizontially and I was a really fight to keep the bike straight, as ice cold rain drops like bullets peppered me.

Once back home in Kidderminster a qucik inspection showed my Thundercat to absolutely filthy. Oddly the Tiger looked at home with a bit of mud lending its ‘adventure-bike’ pretentions some credibilty.

DSC00142.jpg
    The muddy Thundercat still managed to glint in the sunshine that suddenly, and all too briefly, turned up

DSC00145.jpg
    Why doesn’t his bike look as muddy as mine?? Still, it started to hail 15 mins after he left for home lol! Spring in the UK, don’t you just love it??

So despite the terrible weather a cracking 50 mile ride. Cheers for coming out Thumper old pal!

HippoDrones
    Participant

If or when I get me supermoto, I’ll have to grab you and get you to show me mate! :)

So far not had any real interest except for in the gixers track fairings, but hopefully she’ll be sold before I goto sea, a new (to me) van when I get back on dry land and then a nice telephone call to the bank manager should see me with some funds in my hand to go get me a “sensible” bike… ok it’ll never be sensible but far more legal than me on a 186mph motorcycle anyhows! lol :D

(BTW: where the pics, got nothing coming up here????)

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

If or when I get me supermoto, I’ll have to grab you and get you to show me mate! :)

So far not had any real interest except for in the gixers track fairings, but hopefully she’ll be sold before I goto sea, a new (to me) van when I get back on dry land and then a nice telephone call to the bank manager should see me with some funds in my hand to go get me a “sensible” bike… ok it’ll never be sensible but far more legal than me on a 186mph motorcycle anyhows! lol :D

(BTW: where the pics, got nothing coming up here????)

You on a ‘sensible’ bike…

Pics now added!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Looks like fun mate, can hardly call your bike muddy tho! :D

I really need some bike time, GSX-R is all tucked away now so am really hoping I can get out on the KTM this coming weekend up in the mountains hopefully with a guy off the KTM forum :)

You always manage to get really cracking photos, am def gonna have to invest in a decent camera and maybe one of them helmet mounted vid cams as the one I got a year ago never worked sucsessfully! :(

max
    Participant

cool pic [:D]

Radar

quote:

You always manage to get really cracking photos, am def gonna have to invest in a decent camera and maybe one of them helmet mounted vid cams as the one I got a year ago never worked sucsessfully! :(

Cheers for that Pete! I normally use a 7 megapixel Olympus, but this pics were taken with my Sony Ericsson phone on VGA setting

Big_Katz
    Participant

cool pic’s hey thumper rumper what you doing on me tiger! thought he escaped the garden hehe

Radar

HI BK, good to see on here again. Thumper is doing ok! Should be out and about later today!

Thumper
    Participant

Hi BK, and all! sorry for late reply!

Radar is right, the weather when from fab to shocking to sunny again, and despite the mucky mess, we still enjoyed it – and it surprises me to say that. Breakfast was a nice treat too – recommed the cafe.

The Tiger was so stable even in the tricky conditions, soaking up all the bumps, and ploughing through the puddles etc. BK-your welcome to share a ride out on it anytime. Pete/Max it won’t be long before we can organise a meet up.

Here’s to the next sunny weekend though, coz, it took bloomin’ ages to clean the thing :-)

HippoDrones
    Participant

That’d be cool mate, will see if we can sort somit for when I’m back from sea! :D

Radar

quote:

That’d be cool mate, will see if we can sort somit for when I’m back from sea! :D

Sounds like a plan

HippoDrones
    Participant

:D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.