Moto Guzzi V7 Transformation

Home Forums Members’ bikes Moto Guzzi V7 Transformation

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Got the bike back today, K-Tech speedily sent a replacement part down to Steve Jordan’s Motorcycles for me. Steve wasn’t too impressed with my choice of rear suspension, but comparing Hagon to K-Tech is not really fair as they are a different league in quality (and price). He set up both front and rear to suit a “making progress” riding style, the rear is a best fit and although not how he’d like it, it is noticeably improved from OE. The front…. WOW, compared to the OE set up it is a different world, although it is a slightly stiffer set up, it is like silk and the damping seems so far to be just perfect. I also feel like the front end was giving me more info and feel than before although that could be in my head. Overall the ride quality is vastly improved, it ain’t no sportsbike but it does inspire confidence. To some the cost may be OTT, especially as neither front, nor rear shocks were defective or worn out. To me though it is most definitely worth it and as I have no plans to sell the bike ever it is almost money well spent!  :)

_20161108_161014_zpszucxxfmb.jpg

HippoDrones
    Participant

The brake and clutch levers have finally arrived, took a bloody age but at least they are here now:

OE:

_20161109_150208_zpsyxahnr9z.jpg
    _20161109_150142_zpshmectrcb.jpg

New:

_20161109_145953_zps80hbvoxk.jpg
    _20161109_150032_zpsf5relzrl.jpg
    _20161109_150117_zpsljlhsldw.jpg

Radar

Another neat touch. Have to say that I think those mirrors are properly neat too!

HippoDrones
    Participant

They work really well considering their size. Probs the first mirrors I’ve actually been able to use! :-)

HippoDrones
    Participant

Popped over to P&D Custom Bikes today to chat with them about the frame work and seat I want. They are going to try and sort me a slot before Christmas if they get space in their callender otherwise it’ll be after Christmas now as they have a lot of work on at the moment.

Radar

They work really well considering their size. Probs the first mirrors I’ve actually been able to use! :-)

There are dinky mirrors on my Duke, they work surprisingly well too

Radar

Popped over to P&D Custom Bikes today to chat with them about the frame work and seat I want. They are going to try and sort me a slot before Christmas if they get space in their calendar otherwise it’ll be after Christmas now as they have a lot of work on at the moment.

Hope you get it done before Xmas, good to keep up momentum!

What is happening with your Duke and RXS?

HippoDrones
    Participant

nothing, RXS will probs never move again unless I sell it for parts and the Ducati will not turn a wheel until Spring when I’ll hopefully sell it.

Radar

nothing, RXS will probs never move again unless I sell it for parts and the Ducati will not turn a wheel until Spring when I’ll hopefully sell it.

You would probs make a few quid breaking RXS!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hey Pete, just read through this and wanted to say it looks like a great project (sounds great too). Nice to know that you found a bike that you’ll probably keep forever!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Thanks mate, is odd for me to like a bike so much I’d consider keeping it! lol :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

A little update, got the clocks back from France and the issue seems fixed which is great, have also managed to strip the rear subframe down too, but as always with motorbikes….. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, managed to snap the fuel line damn it. I have a replacement on my desk in front of me and my wallet is now £50 lighter.

Something I also want to do is lower the front mudguard so it hugs the tyre tighter, the trouble is that the mudguard is mounted on the fork brace, so to lower it I am going to have to get the brace lugs skimmed around 10-15mm, am hoping this won’t be an issue but will have to be machined so it is perfectly the same height on each lug else could put a twist in the forks possibly.

DSC_0151_zpsmik2k8zt.jpg

_20161123_204928_zpsdir94pyv.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsf40xqloa.jpg

DSC_0153_zpspkmghm9i.jpg

DSC_0152_zpswyujrlkh.jpg

Radar

Good to see the project continuing!

I am surprised you want to bring the mudguard closer to the tyre, it already looks quite close

Would you have links to where you got the bits like the headlamp and mini mirrors etc from?

HippoDrones
    Participant

Good to see the project continuing!

I am surprised you want to bring the mudguard closer to the tyre, it already looks quite close

Would you have links to where you got the bits like the headlamp and mini mirrors etc from?

Headlight:
    https://ldmotorcycles.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-headlights/products/bates-5-3-4-headlight-uk?variant=16991905987

Mirrors:
    https://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Oberon_Streetfighter_Bar_End_Mirrors.html

Dash:
    https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en/home/107-mini-speedometer-for-moto-guzzi-v7.html#/speedometer_finish-classic/choice-mph

The levers and various other bits came from ebay. Fork internals were ordered through Steve Jordan Motorcycles who set them up. Rear shocks came direct from Hagon.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Mudguard sits very high, it is more noticeable now it is shortened:

DSC_0104_zpssqzxws1u.jpg

Dropping it 15mm will still leave quite a bit of clearance all the while I stay off the green lanes! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.