Malta Classic Car Museum – Review and Pics

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Malta Classic Car Museum – Review and Pics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I was in Malta for a few days holiday a couple of weeks ago. Great place to visit, quirky and the people are friendly. They love their cars (and bikes!), there too. The Island has the highest ratio of cars per head in Europe apparently!

There is a new(ish) car museum now openin the town of Qawra and I snook off from family holiday duty to check it out:

DSCF7919_zps25c82f06.jpg
    The whole museum is in a large underground bunker come garage beneath an apartment block

DSCF7901_zps371b656d.jpg
    Immaculate and varied collection of cars in a different setting to the UK norm

DSCF7859_zps8a9ee338.jpg
    There was some modern stuff like this Ariel Atom too

DSCF7856_zps8badcdd8.jpg
    DSCF7757_zps6b423012.jpg
    Bikes on show too, like these 1960’s offering from NSU and BSA

DSCF7854_zps38c47183.jpg
    This 1960’s BMW was displayed in an ‘as found’ type setting

DSCF7847_zps85425dbc.jpg
    Malta was a British colony until 1964 and the influence remains strong to this day…they drive on the left too for example

DSCF7845_zps75d76f98.jpg
    Rare Panhard

DSCF7836_zpsfd71093c.jpg
    DSCF7837_zpsf61f4be6.jpg
    British Leyland had an assembly plant there until the 1970’s turning out cars like this neat Austin 1100

DSCF7815_zpsff13ba19.jpg
    Stunning 190SL in a period setting

DSCF7806_zps31bdf1c8.jpg
    A bit pink…

DSCF7803_zpsac23f54e.jpg
    Triumph cars were also assembled on the island for a few years, this Mk3 Spitfire being the last one off the line

DSCF7787_zpsba1d2fb6.jpg
    DSCF7772_zpsb90bf5f3.jpg
    DSCF7760_zps4f58d49b.jpg
    Period pieces like TV’s, radios and jukeboxs were also dotted about the place

DSCF7785_zps4ceb249f.jpg
    Lots of Scooters too. Did you know that Lambretta was owned by British Leyland for several years?

DSCF7775_zpsec0a8bc8.jpg
    Lovely Fiat Spyder, shame about the clunky federal bumpers

DSCF7762_zps85fb3e25.jpg
    I wanted to take this home with me

DSCF7747_zpsefc010d8.jpg
    USA got a look in too with this glorious and very rare 2 seater Ford Thunderbird

There are over 60 cars on display and some lovely examples of cars like NSUs, Jags etc. The museum even had a couple of little cinemas showing car related films. I really enjoyed myself and was in there for the best part of 3 hours. Not bad for €7! 

The Malta Classic Car Collection Klamari Street, Qawra. Malta.

https://www.classiccarsmalta.com/

ses310

Looks like a good way to spend a few hours, and away from the usual holiday stuff… Some interesting vehicles too

HippoDrones
    Participant

love the Mini pickup :-)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Didn’t know Triumph were assembled there.

Some nice cars and some quirky pieces scattered around too, thanks for posting the pics.

No yellow buses in there yet? Damn shame they were taken off the road in Malta last year, although when I drove behind a few I could see why, very polluting. They would have been better converted to hybrid but most were privately owned I think.

Radar

Didn’t know Triumph were assembled there.

Some nice cars and some quirky pieces scattered around too, thanks for posting the pics.

No yellow buses in there yet? Damn shame they were taken off the road in Malta last year, although when I drove behind a few I could see why, very polluting. They would have been better converted to hybrid but most were privately owned I think.

I didn’t know about the Triumph facility there until fairly recently either

No classic ‘Malta bus’ in there, which did surprise me a little. I did see a couple running around and one was being used as a gift shop roadside. Nobody doing in trips in one which I think is a shame. The buses are all new Chinese supplied or ex Transport for London Merc bendy buses now. Very bland in their corporate Arriva livery…you could be in Peterboro!

Radar

love the Mini pickup :-)

Well worth a visit when you go to Malta

HippoDrones
    Participant

so I’ve been told…. (just today actually) lol, will take a gander in June when over there :-)

Radar

so I’ve been told…. (just today actually) lol, will take a gander in June when over there :-)

Good stuff, just go on the Citytours open top bus tour thing, its crap!

HippoDrones
    Participant

I do enjoy a crap! lol :D

Radar

I do enjoy a crap! lol :D

I meant to say don’t about the city bus stuff!

I stayed in Mellieha, which is lovely and boasts some decent resturants. I took a boat tour out to Gozo too, on a boat called the Hornblower that sails from a place called Bugibba, a charming little port. Swimming in the Blue Lagoon is amazing

There is a cracking aircraft museum worth visiting too, and the Lascaris War Rooms under Valletta are great too. 

Keep an eye out for open air concerts in Valetta too, I saw the Australian Pink Floyd there in 2012 who put on a stunning show

Valetta itself is a beautiful place and the Grand Harbour amazing

Above drink plenty of Cisk!

https://www.maltaviationmuseum.com/

https://www.lascariswarrooms.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD9brEPDqc

https://www.hornblowerboat.com/index.php/en/

HippoDrones
    Participant

Awesome, thanks for the tips matey :-)

Radar

More information on the British Leyland car assembly in Malta

https://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/around-the-world/around-the-world-malta/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.