kawazaki gpz500s running problems

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted kawazaki gpz500s running problems

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    newton2012
    Participant

:( first off i have only just passed my test… i am only 23!

I have a gpz 500s on a 03 plate with only 840 miles on the clock. it has been stood for 6 yrz in perfect condition,  carbs everything is clean as  i have had it looked at…. it starts fine but only feels like its running on one pot at a bout 5000rpm kinds of dies with power but  i know the engine isnt run in just yet and when i got it it had a restricter in it  az  i poped them out when i cleaned the carbs, the left side of the engine gets red hot like it suppose to but the right side stays cold ish witch tells me the right carb is not fireing properly but its had new spark plugs, coils fine, ht lead is fine ??????????????????????????

can anyone help me just to try and rectify my problem i would be so greatful

cheers chris

Radar

Make sure  you have cleaned the tank thoroughly after such a long lay up, drain it down and get rid of any loose sediment. Be very careful of fumes obviously.

If it has a in line fuel filter clean it or replace it. If if doesn’t have one I would say fit one.

Be very sure the carbs and jets are very clean and clear, this could take several attempts.

Have you checked if you have spark at the plug? This could also be a problem, you might need to replace plug caps or even the coil.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on

newton2012
    Participant

I have checked the ht leads coils spark plugs i replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the carbs twice  i am goin to look up on the fuel filter tho

Cheers for the advice

slim
    Participant

Hi,
    cleaning the carbs is fine but it wont help if you dont set them up correctly afterwards (Float heights, balancing etc) i would also suggest checking for a spark on both cylinders, & as radar suggests cleaning out the tank properly as if you dont its probably a waste of time sorting the carbs, another thing to check is that both carbs are actually getting fuel once the tank is clean & that the tap is working properly

Hope it helps  :)

newton2012
    Participant

Hi thanks to evryone for the advice i got stuck so i took it into a ashop and sorted it for me so its running fine and moted just insurance and tax left ha

ses310

What was the problem in the end?

newton2012
    Participant

Al the jets was blocked  lol i just wanted to ask its a 2003 bin stood for 6 yrs or so and its has done 840 miles just want to know its say brake the engine in at 1600 miles but some guy told me there already machine run in i dnt know what to belive but if the manual says take it easy till 1600 mile i think i should for the exsperts????? Any advice thanks

Radar

I would run the engine gently in at first and stick to the advice in the owners handbook. As an additional thing I would change the oil at immediately if you have not done so already. Do the next change after further 1,000 miles, to ensure you have cleaned any residual old gunk from the engines’ oilways etc. GPz500s need a good oil spply to the top end to ensure camshaft lobes do not become pitted.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress

newton2012
    Participant

so i m all insured and on the road now love rideing about on my gpz but………. its still abit slugish still at  bout 4000 to 6500 then it jus kicks in agen its on  a bout 960 miles now gunna service it at 1000 should  i be patiant with it and wait it struggles to get over 70 at the min so feeling a bit low az  i have spent enough money on it already

any advice cheers

slim
    Participant

Whoever told you modern bikes are “machine run in” was half right, the bores are machined in such a way as to make bedding the rings in quite quick but it does NOT apply to to the rest of the moving parts so stick to makers recomendations apart from doing an extra oil change due to the long lay up i suggest at 500 gentle miles ;)

katana
    Participant

so i m all insured and on the road now love rideing about on my gpz but………. its still abit slugish still at  bout 4000 to 6500 then it jus kicks in agen its on  a bout 960 miles now gunna service it at 1000 should  i be patiant with it and wait it struggles to get over 70 at the min so feeling a bit low az  i have spent enough money on it already

any advice cheers

I’d still susspect carb problems. I had the same issue with my blade after it laid idle for 8 years. I ultrasonically cleaned the carbs 3 times before it started to run sweet. As it idles OK but hessitates and doesn’t pull at full throttle check the main jets and the needles.

newton2012
    Participant

I woke up this morning and now my fob wnt turn my alarm off  i have changed the batterys in the fob but nothing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.