In the Beginning

Home Forums Streetfighters In the Beginning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    katana
    Participant

Once upon a time (in the late 80s) there was a land where modifying a motorcycle meant welding up the rear suspension and adding enormous forks. This land was called Britain. However, the ideas for these types of bikes (or “Choppers”) came from a land far away where roads were straight and roundabouts only seen in all you can eat buffets. At about this time Britain’s were being treated to a fabled new breed of motorcycle called the “Sportsbike”. The “Sportsbike” was thought too “hard” for most other lowly motorcycling nations but the Britain’s embraced them, raced them and then crashed them – lots.
    In one lonely muddy corner of this land, probably in a borrowed tent, the Custom and the Sportsbike had a drug and Stella fuelled liaison. From this was born the STREETFIGHTER, a loud and antisocial bastard child with the social graces of Shane MacGowan and the attitude of a Bulldog with a wasp up its arse.

And it came to pass that a customised motorcycle could be made to handle, stop and go like stink. Handily there was also a glut of reasonably priced, all be it slightly bent, Sportsbikes around so even the most doshly challenged Britain could build a bike pushing out 130bhp capable of topping 160mph.

The spanner mad Streetfighter builders of Britain were further helped in their quest by wise men from the east who in their infinite wisdom liked to “standardise” components for the Sportbikes they were producing. The leader (or ninja) in all things modular was a Mr Suzuki (although Mr Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha did try) who made sure that virtually all the major components: engines, forks, swing arms etc could be persuaded to fit any of his larger capacity bikes (I’ve yet to see a GSXR1100 powered AP50 but it could be possible!). So was born arguably the definitive Streetfighter the GSXR 7/11 – a 1100cc engine transplanted into a 750 frame

Suzuki GSXR 7 11 Streetfighter

So endeth the History lesson. If you feel inspired keep your eyes open for further topics in this section on how to build, source parts and generally “improve” your Streetfighter. If you’ve already got one then stick a piccy of it in “I’ll Show You Mine”.

Keep Swerving

Katana

GSX Rat
    Participant

Hate to disagree mate, but i think the streetfighter was spawned more out of necessity, than an actual styling idea…..

People binned their sports bikes, and couldnt afford to re-plastic them as this alone cost thousands, on third party insurance it was a big no no. So, the alternative – rip off the fairing, replace the lights with a pair of car spots and bobs your mothers brother.

This type of repair, can of course be traced back to RAT culture – ie as cheap as possible, and has spawned a thriving industry where thousands of pounds can change hands for the right gear, a far cry from the cheap fix to get you back on the road.

Still, some nice looking bikes about though!

Once again, the rat bikers lead the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

barmy_carmy
    Participant

I quite like the look of your bike! Our bike is classed as a streetfighter, The FZX 750, On tuesday she is being derestricted via airbox and carbs, Also put Predator Sports exhaust on. And up’d the cogs on rear sprocket, She also been lowered with Hagon shocks!

No1 ride, our FZX750 and please DONATE to this website

katana
    Participant

Thanks barmy. why not stick some piccys of your bike in the “I’ll Show you Mine” section.

Is the Predator system going to be a 4into1 or 4into2 ?

barmy_carmy
    Participant

The Predator sports system is 4 into 2. She has a lovely GROWL to her. I dont know how to transfer pic of our bike in the “I’ll Show you Mine” section. There is a pic of her in the section “Do you wanna see a cool bike” But this photo was taken before Predator exhaust was put on her. We are hoping Sunday is gonna be dry, so we can go to Shepton Mallet Show, and hopefully get a good picture of her, not to mention trying out the derestriction properly…..I cant wait!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

Urban Terrorist
    Participant

Think you’ll actually find that the common veiw is that Cafe racers were the first streetfighters.

Although there was a link with rat bikes, due to them mainly being GSXR1100’s with RGV rear seat unit’s, twin halford spotlamps and matt black paint job, although not all over.

More than 2-strokes is masturbation!!

katana
    Participant

I don’t agree as the café racers were originally born out of a need to “crack the ton” using the bikes available to the average teenagers pocket in the 50’s and 60’s. The ultimate aim was to have the fastest bike a not necessarily one that was unique. Hence the profusion of Tritons where the best engine was married to the best handling frame. (Triumph engine in Norton frames).

tritonright.jpg

The Streetfighter is custom bike first and the ultimate performance is often sacrificed. This is born out by the fact that a sports bike will normally have a better top speed without the fairing removed and a set of upright bars added!

Donut – I mean DONATE!

logospin.gif

Urban Terrorist
    Participant

Not quite sure how you think performance is sacrificed when pretty much every streetfighter has atleast a stage one tune up, with most reciving serious head work, nitrous turbos and various other things!!

Cafe racers where modded for speed and handling, just like most streetfighters are. They are used on the street, they are streetfighters. that’s the general view of people in the streetfighter scene.

More than 2-strokes is masturbation!!

Scouser
    Participant

I agree with the streefighter explanation, expensive plastic; and also with the cafe racer, quickest bike for the ton+.

Be seen and be Safe!

gixerlicker
    Participant

Really like the bike i the first pic, makes me want one again

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by gixerlicker

Really like the bike i the first pic, makes me want one again

Well its for sale……

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4542305775&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, what a ride!

suck_animated.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

six grand reserve!!! – someones having a laugh right, thought april the first had passed……..

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

morpheus
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GSX Hooligan

six grand reserve!!! – someones having a laugh right, thought april the first had passed……..

That bikes been in crossbow calender, all the shows that matter and SF, the bloke that built it is an ace when it comes to building streetfighters…..

https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/uk_lee/index.html

uk lee
    Participant

Thanks dude – That’ll be me then [:D]

The new owner is a bit green when it comes to ebay , so i helped him write a revised ad.

Gix
    Participant

Hi Lee, welcome mate, how dya find us?

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.