Help!!!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Help!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    guti14
    Participant

Hi all,

I have only recently got into biking and am desperate to own an american style chopper. However i also want to build it myself. Could anyone help me with what is the best way to go about getting one. Should i buy an old bike and do that up into a chopper or start from scratch with all new parts.

Cheers,
    Dan

True perfection has to be imperfect, I know that that sounds foolish but its true.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dan and welcome. What sort of experience do you have in the mechanics of bikes? This would help decide your best route I think.

Donate to the forum. It makes you feel good!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Old bike converted to chopper would give you good experience and wouldn’t cost too much if you wanted something to practice on. Buying new bits soon mounts up. An unfinished chop project is often cheaper too as they have often already bought frame and cycle parts, look for these in the bike mags.

Good luck!

I’ve donated to the forum, have you?

GSX Rat
    Participant

I would take a look round for an unfinished chop project, but depending on how much you want to spend consider your choice of bike. IE, if your on a budget dont buy a triumph bonny or harley half finished coz youll spend a fortune on bits – buy a jap model, one that theres plenty of spares for. Also, dont go down the catalogue route, either enrol in a college course that’ll teach you turning, milling and welding but more importantly give you access to a lathe, miller and welder (or get a job somewhere with a fully equipped workshop [:D] ) and make up bits yourself like footpegs, risers, chainguard etc etc, not only will you save money, you’ll have a unique bike and the satisfaction of having done it yourself…

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.