Help!!!!

Home Forums Scooters Help!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wogadopolous
    Participant

Am currently renovating my 1974 c50 and have discovered it is far from what I expected… (And from what i can read in the workshop manual, far from what the haynes people expect too!!)
    Where the metal fuel tank should bolt on, it doesn’t… Instead it’s molded steel all the way up under the seat and there is a plastic fuel cell inside.
    This shouldn’t be too much of a problem, however the plastic tank is cracked in 5 or 6 (or 8 or 9..) places and (call me old fashioned) I don’t like cruising with everyone I leave in my wake wondering when I’ll catch fire!!!
    Please please please, any knowledge of factory variants for these/ replacement tanks/other sites worth checking/similar experiences greatly appreciated.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hi wogadopolous and welcome to the site. Have you got a Haynes manual which is for the ’74 model?

Otherwise some bike breakers have that sort of knowledge, may be worth checking them out if you haven’t already.

wogadopolous
    Participant

Hi, cheers for the welcome..

The haynes manual I have is covering 1967 thru 1981 C50, 70, 90. There are exceptions for my variant (k3) listed as usual in the rear.

It doesn’t explain the tank assembly though, or why it’s so different to every other one we or anyone I’ve spoken with knows!
    Am off on a mission today to cruise the breakers yards. Hopefuly this will yield something worthwhile. If not it’ll be a good day out smelling grease and oil.

GSX Rat
    Participant

I’ll have a look round tomorrow and see if i can find anything out. Would help if you could post a picture of the bike, as all the cubs i have worked on over the years have all had the fuel tank just forward of the frame, under the front part of the seat.
    You should be able to repair the tank you have got if you cant find a replacement, which i suspect is highly unlikely – just use some of that stuff they use to do normal tanks, but dont use kreem though – apparantley its more trouble than its worth although personally i havent used it. You could fibre glass the whole of your existing tank for a cheap and dirty fix but it depends on how much room you have to play with round it – again, a couple of pics would help.

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

GSX Rat
    Participant

BTW – you could also purchase and fit a smaller plastic tank under the seat, as no-one would see it and it would also give you a bit of under seat storage to play with. Lastly, you could also fibre glass the whole of the area where the tank currently sits and turn that area into a tank, just drill the bottom for the petcock and mould a lid onto it – again a bit of work but not impossible

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

Radar

Welcome aboard mate. Let us know how the C50 rebuild goes, I loved the one that I owned many years ago. Check out a post about it in members bikes.
    Mine was a 1972 model BTW

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

wogadopolous
    Participant

Thanks for the input.

I think the best option is to take it to a plastic welder. Gonna be much cheaper that way.
    It’ll only cost about $25 (around 10 pounds) as opposed to the other options which were looking ot be 10 times that!

Marsha67
    Participant

What exactly is plastic welding!?!

GSX Rat
    Participant

resisting the oppertunity to take the pi$$……..

same as any other welding, you heat the plastic up till it melts, and feed a filler rod of the same material into the molten pool…..

cheap and dirty way of doing it is to use a soldering iron, and a tyrap as the filler – works a treat!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Well held back Hooly. Last time I plastic welded was when I had a puncture in my Doc Marten boots…..

b-ig2220zsaf_thumb.jpg

Radar

I didn’t know you only had one leg!

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.