Green Lane riding in Wales – Pics!

Home Forums Supermoto and off-road Green Lane riding in Wales – Pics!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I have just enjoyed a superb days riding with ellisimo and Thumper up in the Welsh hills, near Barmouth and Machynlleth on  a one day off road riding course with a company called Trial Rides Wales.

We used Honda CRFs for the day, me on the lower 230 while the others took the later, but taller water-cooled 250. We were expertly led by Marianne, the owner of the company, on a Reiju 185 and a superb rider. She was ably assisted by a charming lad called Matt, also on a Honda CRF250. She boasts a detailed knowledge of all the local tracks and trails. The hire of the bikes, riding kit and fuel are all included and the course is tailored to your needs and skills. As none of us had any previous off road riding experience she started us of gently, getting us used to the bikes before gradually ramping things up as the day progressed, until we wound up covering terrain that I thought I could never ride over. We all did well, and apart from a few sheep trying to attack us, only one of had a tumble and that was a small one when ellismo got his bike stuck in a rut and rolled gently down an embankment. For my part I nearly lost it on a downhill section during the morning and got stuck in a deep rut in the afternoon session, while Thumper got a bit throttle happy a couple times (so unlike him…) and nearly had himself off.

Throughout the day the views were amazing, the fantastic weather helping here too. It was interesting to get a new perspective on places, our view points from where we couldn’t normally get to and some of the lakes and mountain vistas were truly breath taking.

The bike I used, a CRF230, was excellent and the instruction from Marianne and Matt was gently encouraging. Riding standing up on the tougher sections is vital and looking ahead to plan your path is key. I found keeping a little speed up really helped, even if it felt a little counter intuitive to my road riding mindset on occasions! We ramped up in difficulty through the day, initially on gravel tracks, then gentle trails before taking on some tougher uphill ascents, rutted tracks and densely wooded sections. You do spend a little time on tarmac, making your way from one place to another, but we did 6-7 hours on the bikes, and believe me that is enough! The afternoon riding, after a lunch break in Dolgellau, was particularly enjoyable and some of the unusual sights were fun too, like a farmyard packed with old disused kit, 4x4s and even a complete engine randomly left at the side of the trail! The wooded sections were great,  with the fauna closing in on you and the strong smell of sap hanging in the air from the felled trees. Then there was the last working slate mine in Wales we came across with an onsite house entirely constructed from the stuff. I liked Marianne’s and Matt’s informal style, some of these experience type days and courses can feel a little ‘corporate’.

Overall all three of us did well for pure road riders, and I was pleased with my progress on the day. We are planning to go back next year and try some tougher sections and really push ourselves.

So thanks to ellismo for finding the place and making the bookings etc and thanks to Marianne and her capable assistant Matt for guiding through a memorable days biking.

Anyway – a few pictures:

DSCN8333_zpsd199e223.jpg
    Our bikes for the day, Honda CRF230 and 250L

DSCN8335_zps968838da.jpg
    Ready for action…nice pecs Thummper!

DSCN8337_zps015f57c9.jpg

I became rather attached to the CRF

DSCN8342_zps36f30cb6.jpg
    DSCN8343_zps9744e91a.jpg
    DSCN8349_zps20536a65.jpg
    DSCN8361_zps4ce7078c.jpg
    DSCN8369_zpsfd7cb34d.jpg
    DSCN8375_zps1702f079.jpg
    The views were amazing and from a whole new perspective

DSCN8348_zpsd74bc2f8.jpg
    On one of the sections in the morning

DSCN8355_zpsdf425523.jpg
    Team SAD

DSCN8356_zpscfb3a42e.jpg
    Enjoying a spot of lunch

DSCN8373_zps1ef96cf2.jpg
    DSCN8377_zps431e9cb6.jpg
    Tackling one of the rutted sections during the afternoon

DSCN8366_zps67cea675.jpg

DSCN8363_zps0f9a39de.jpg
    The section had some ruts and was fun to ride

DSCN8379_zpsf41fbb28.jpg
    Logging was going on and the smell of sap hung in the air

DSCN8385_zpsa1e316d7.jpg
    The old slate mine

For details of how to this for yourself go to:

https://trailrides-wales.com/

You wont regret it!

HippoDrones
    Participant

glad to hear you finally got a chance to play on the mucky stuff, really enjoyed my time in the dirt

imperialdata
    Keymaster

That looks great, glad you had a good time. Where are the oil drums and VW beetles you were going to ride over then?

robertcains
    Participant

Marrianne  took us out four years ago on the CRF 250’s & boy can that girl (woman) ride a bike for someone even more vertically challenged than either myself or Radar! On a DRZ 400 too which she couldn’t get both feet down by a country mile!
    Sounds like a similar route? We did Nant-y-Arian (BC2 cuppa stop) over the mountains to Borth for lunch & back via a different route.
    Highly recommended!

elessimo
    Participant

I did hope to ride one of the DRZs but they were out of action: just as well as I found the lowered 250L much easier than the standard one….. I’d have had even more ‘offs’ on a taller bike ;D
    04Stillontarmac_zpsa234ecf9.jpg
    Still on tarmac
    09SteveandDon_zps3f43854a.jpg
    elessimo and Radar
    06Bitrougher_zps6a8a694b.jpg
    Gorgeous countryside
    11AndyandSteve_zpsdf324052.jpg
    Thumper and elessimo
    07Lunch_zps74749073.jpg
    Lunch stop
    15Intheforest_zps803a8a43.jpg
    Discussing a blast up the forest
    14Doninaction_zps3dd53459.jpg
    Radar in action
    17Thelastworkinglatequarry_zps2eb95e42.jpg
    The last working slate quarry in north Wales
    19DonandSteve_zps31531bee.jpg
    Radar got quite attached to his 230…
    20TeamSAD_zps2cf361fd.jpg
    Team SAD: well, we look the part anyway…..

As Radar said, we all lost it briefly: Thumper nearly ejected at 20mph, Radar thought he’d make a big rut even bigger (using his rear tyre as an excavator) while I offed at 5mph, gracefully somersaulting sideways down the mountain in slowmo…… Kind of sums us up, really.

But great fun – as Robert says, Marianne seemed to be riding on air, never breaking into sweat while I cursed and slid around trying to keep up with T & R as they blatted up the tracks.

Radar

glad to hear you finally got a chance to play on the mucky stuff, really enjoyed my time in the dirt

I can really see why you enjoyed the KTMs so much now

Radar

That looks great, glad you had a good time. Where are the oil drums and VW beetles you were going to ride over then?

Ahh, Kickstart on the BBC with Peter ‘Pervert’ Pervis presenting

Radar

Marrianne  took us out four years ago on the CRF 250’s & boy can that girl (woman) ride a bike for someone even more vertically challenged than either myself or Radar! On a DRZ 400 too which she couldn’t get both feet down by a country mile!
    Sounds like a similar route? We did Nant-y-Arian (BC2 cuppa stop) over the mountains to Borth for lunch & back via a different route.
    Highly recommended!

I remember you doing an off road day, funny how it was the same people. As you said, she is an awesome rider.

Radar

I did hope to ride one of the DRZs but they were out of action: just as well as I found the lowered 250L much easier than the standard one….. I’d have had even more ‘offs’ on a taller bike ;D
    04Stillontarmac_zpsa234ecf9.jpg
    Still on tarmac
    09SteveandDon_zps3f43854a.jpg
    elessimo and Radar
    06Bitrougher_zps6a8a694b.jpg
    Gorgeous countryside
    11AndyandSteve_zpsdf324052.jpg
    Thumper and elessimo
    08Privateroad_zps9b1ebbb3.jpg
    Green lane (private, but the farmer didn’t mind notice us)
    07Lunch_zps74749073.jpg
    Lunch stop
    15Intheforest_zps803a8a43.jpg
    Discussing a blast up the forest
    14Doninaction_zps3dd53459.jpg
    Radar in action
    17Thelastworkinglatequarry_zps2eb95e42.jpg
    The last working slate quarry in north Wales
    19DonandSteve_zps31531bee.jpg
    Radar got quite attached to his 230…
    20TeamSAD_zps2cf361fd.jpg
    Team SAD: well, we look the part anyway…..

As Radar said, we all lost it briefly: Thumper nearly ejected at 20mph, Radar thought he’d make a big rut even bigger (using his rear tyre as an excavator) while I offed at 5mph, gracefully somersaulting sideways down the mountain in slowmo…… Kind of sums us up, really.

But great fun – as Robert says, Marianne seemed to be riding on air, never breaking into sweat while I cursed and slid around trying to keep up with T & R as they blatted up the tracks.

Great pics there E, we really must get back up there.

I have checked on ebay and only one CRF230L listed, and that has no V5!

Radar

Some pics from RC’s outing with his partner (now wife) back in 2010

Bit of a damper day for them! Looks fun though!

HippoDrones
    Participant

had a go on a 230 up in Snotland, great lil bikes. Would love another dirt bike….. might even get me riding more. Unfortunately the scum bags around here would possibly feel they liked it more so can’t see me getting another just yet :-(

HippoDrones
    Participant

up in Snotland last year…..

headingtoforthcorner_zps3d31ff87.jpg

thirdcornerexit_zps84cd0d31.jpg

20130417_114630_zps6e1f69dd.jpg

elessimo
    Participant

Yup Radar, we must take it to the next level (falling off at 8mph?!) next year.

Not many 250Ls around, either. Less lowered ones, too…..

Hmmm, could take a bit of work. Might as well get some armour in preparation though!  8)

Radar

had a go on a 230 up in Snotland, great lil bikes. Would love another dirt bike….. might even get me riding more. Unfortunately the scum bags around here would possibly feel they liked it more so can’t see me getting another just yet :-(

I remember all the trouble you had with getting bikes lifted Pete. It would be good to see you out on the Guzzi again. Do you fancy a trip up to the Midlands late September, catch up again and ride some local roads again?

I was really impressed with the 230 and would love one. They do seem rare and to hold their money really well

Radar

Yup Radar, we must take it to the next level (falling off at 8mph?!) next year.

Not many 250Ls around, either. Less lowered ones, too…..

Hmmm, could take a bit of work. Might as well get some armour in preparation though!  8)

Preparation is always good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.