Giant-killing bikes (keep it honest)

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Giant-killing bikes (keep it honest)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    GSXR1000
    Participant

The 1980s were brilliant for having a quick motorcycle, for lots of reasons.

Among them, the fact that there were around half the number of cars on the road then.
    Also the fact that speed scameras had not been invented and even more usefully, the fact that to be done for speeding, you had to be followed, stopped and actually spoken to.
    Yes, the bikes were nowhere near as quick as current machinery, but you could use the power and speed you had far, far more often than today.

Anyway, anyone, especially oldies, out there remember any acts of giant-killing?

The ones i recall most are my Stan Stephens-tuned 1981 Yamaha RD350LC staying with and/or beating all many friend’s bikes, including Z1100s, CB900s and even a Jota 180 (save ultimate top speed).
    It demolished my mate’s Yamaha 850 triple and only just lost to a GPZ1100 Uni-trak, which had just a little too much oomph. It stayed with a Kawasaki H2 as well.

More recently, my Aprilia RS250, again tuned by Stan the man, was a match for a GSXR750 back in 1995. That was an incredible bike for a mere 249cc capacity.
    150mph and sublime handling as it weighed just 130kgs.

Gix
    Participant

A hot rider on a small bike can rip all over a shite rider on a bigger bike, it aint about size and “giant killing”, its about the skill of the rider and his/hers nerves to use the bike to its potential.

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

riff-raff
    Participant

Deffo the 350 LC round town and the twisties

Anything could happen in the next 20 minutes….

GSXR1000
    Participant

Gix, you miss the point though.
    I was looking for examples where people on smaller/lesser bikes have really surprised those on much faster (they thought) machinery.
    Rather like when i lived in the USA, i built several ‘sleepers’ which beat other cars of much bigger name and size.

Gix
    Participant

Yes I have many a time! Thats my point tho, even though until recently I had a smaller bike, would regularly rip past those on bigger machines, mostly in the twisties cos although their machines got faster top end, they just didnt have the balls to use bikes potential in the twisties. And before you come back with “oh but your smaller bike had more manouvability and was lighter”, my old bikes handling was worse than K2 and heavier too! Like I said, any bike has the ability to be giant killer in the right hands….

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

The Beast
    Participant

Yawn!!

Matt Black… The ultimate chrome cleaner..

Radar

My first RD350YPVS without a doubt. Took on all the comparable fourstrokes of the day such as the GPz550, GSX550 quite easily and could live with all the big stuff on back lanes with no problems. Fantastic bike.
    You can still giant kill, even on my CB250RS – that is so quick around town.

Check out the Less is more Story about a SRX400. It was Thumper’s and he posted it under his old forum name. He forgot his passwords – dead head!

Look in the Forest if you want to find trees

GSXR1000
    Participant

OK, let’s take rider ability out of this, to clarify what i am actually asking here.
    Has anyone had a small bike, or maybe one with a name for being slow/boring which they have given a surprising amount of power/turn of speed to?

An example. In the late 1970s, the Yamaha FS1E had been trumped by several Italian supermopeds and was no longer the quickest 49cc screamer around.
    A friend had already put a Honda C70 engine into his woefully slow Honda SS50 and had got the little 4-stroke putting out around 3 times the standard 2.5 bhp. It certainly shocked a few Fantic and Garelli riders (and me on my FS1E) as it breezed by.
    A gentleman called Bill White, who used to run Beeline Racing in Woodford, sourced me a Yamaha YB100 engine, which he tuned to around 15 bhp.
    This was then put into the FS1E i had kept from my sixteener days and the gearing was raised by a street or three.
    It made the brakes rather overwhelmed but it was a shock to people when they saw an FS1E doing 80 mph!
    The Aprilia was a similar kind of sleeper–not many expected a 250 to go over 150 mph and stick with the then-latestGSXR750 in a straight line.

sid
    Participant

so youre talking modded bikes then well i had a ts50er (and no that doesnt say TOSSER)with a 65cc top end kit which could do 65 mph with a slight down hill turn
    another toy was a honda MT50 with i believe an H100 engine that could piss a lot of people off it was easy to mod the 50cc learner bikes of my teen years because most of them had a slightly bigger brother with an 80cc engine running in a very similar if not exactly the same chassis

stress2.jpg

life sucks get used to it

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GSXR1000

The Aprilia was a similar kind of sleeper–not many expected a 250 to go over 150 mph and stick with the then-latestGSXR750 in a straight line.

Ok let me get this right then, you had an aprilia RS250 yes? And this little 56bhp to 70bhp (depending on the year), with a standard top speed of 116 mph – 123.7 mph (again depending on the year), could stick with a 104bhp – 130 bhp (depending on the year), 164mph GSXR750 in a straight line……what was the rider of the gixer doing? Reading a newspaper? You must have had a very heavily race tuned nitrous oxide aprilia!!! Or had you squeezed an RSV lump in there?????[:0]

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

GSXR1000
    Participant

This particular Aprilia was a Stan Stephens-tuned bike, with around 75 bhp at the rear wheel. (That is substantially more than what you got as standard and involved a lot of work.)

The early 1990s GSXR750 was not particularly powerful and i can assure you that 75 GENUINE bhp and just 130kgs makes for a vary fast bike indeed.
    Both on the road and during the many track days i took it on.

It was timed at 158 mph by my friend’s Fireblade, which must be around a genuine 150mph i would say.
    Don’t underestimate the little two-stroke, it outhandled the arse off the GSXR750 of the time.
    Fact.

GSXR1000
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

so youre talking modded bikes then well i had a ts50er (and no that doesnt say TOSSER)with a 65cc top end kit which could do 65 mph with a slight down hill turn
    another toy was a honda MT50 with i believe an H100 engine that could piss a lot of people off it was easy to mod the 50cc learner bikes of my teen years because most of them had a slightly bigger brother with an 80cc engine running in a very similar if not exactly the same chassis

Aye, there were normally bigger versions around.
    80+ mph on a FS1E was quite scary, when i think back.[:0]

Gix
    Participant

yes it would outhandle the arse off the earlier GSXRs, but the rs came out in 96, the 96 gixer was 130bhp at 11500 rpm, whilst the rs was 70bhp, the 97 gixer stood at 128bhp @ 12000 rpm, whilst the rs stood at 56bhp, the 98 gixer was 135bhp whilst the rs was just 69bhp, the 99 gixer…134bhp, the rs….55bhp, 2000 gixer…..141bhp, rs….70bh, 2001 gixer also 141bhp whilst the rs dropped to 55bhp again.
    I know the rs is a fantastic bike, have owned its smaller brother and ridden the 250, one of the lads had one, fantastic bike, but even tuned no way could it hope to keep up with anything much bigger in a straight line…..and thats what you said, straight line speed, though it would swarm all over the bigger bikes thru twisties….hell I used to on the unrestricted 125![;)]

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

GSXR1000
    Participant

Ask Stan how fast a stage 4 Aprilia RS 250 will go, geared up and with a small, light rider on board, Gix.

Gix
    Participant

well I know what track bike I want then![:o)]

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.