First car:

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead First car:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Radar

For me it was a 1967 Morris Minor Van….

HippoDrones
    Participant

learnt to drive in one of these:
    LHD Lada Niva
    4583176397_b467f1f7c3_z.jpg

but my first car was a Rover 216SE in blue…. its valves burnt out a week after I got it lol

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Those wheels actually make it look quite good Pete, is that the actual one?

For me, the first car was an Austin A40 Farina. The killer feature was that the boot dropped down and the rear glass did this:

01.jpg

Here’s some spec (make sure you’re sitting down 8) )

948 cc A-series engine
    45 mpg (not bad really)
    0-60 in 3.56 seconds (OK 35.6, an easy mistake to make)
    73 mph top speed

It could be considered the world’s first real hatchback if you really want to push the ‘pub talk’ to less credible limits. Not sure if you’d credit UK Austin bods or the designer (Battista Pininfarina) for this bit of forward thinking.

Does anyone have a car with some street cred as their first one?

Champs
    Participant

Wow, I must be really boring. My first car was a fiat punto! :)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Not boring mate but still no street cred  ;D

HippoDrones
    Participant

not the actual one, those wheels iirc are the standard wheels put on back to front. Was a common mod as it gave it a wider stance and looked loads better. So ours looked similar as we’d done the same. Ours was hand painted with Hammorite Black along the bottom 50% and had proper chunky bull bars front and rear.

Am thinking about getting one again next year to replace the van as you can buy them new again in the uk:

https://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/james-may-vs-lada-niva-2011-02-15?imageNo=2

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hammerite and Ladas….. glory days!

Good trick with the wheels but if you turned them round surely you would have to drive everywhere in reverse?

ses310

Mine was given to me and was……. A Kia Pride complete with whitewall tyres!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

OMG… pictures please!

ses310

I havent got any pics of it, and did have a quick look on the net but didn’t find any

Radar

I havent got any pics of it, and did have a quick look on the net but didn’t find any

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRCyVuqcCB0[/youtube]

slim
    Participant

started driving at ministocks & banger tracks around the country aged about 14, mini’s & old zephers mainly with the odd jag thrown in  ;D  was driving on the road much too soon after in my mums “borrowed” maxi but my first legal car on the road was an odd little mazda that i swapped for a freezer  :D

Radar

started driving at ministocks & banger tracks around the country aged about 14, mini’s & old zephers mainly with the odd jag thrown in  ;D  was driving on the road much too soon after in my mums “borrowed” maxi but my first legal car on the road was an odd little mazda that i swapped for a freezer  :D

My Dad used to run a MkIII Zephyr, the one with the big wings.

I started driving at 12 in a Corsair 2000E in a feild in somersett before progressing to a Mk1 granada/Consul on the beach at Brean when 13/14, before winding up my pre-seventeen driving in a MkIII Cortina automatic on a disused airbase in Northumberland called RAF Brunton.

My poor old Minor came to a bit of a sticky end two weeks before my driving test… 

Swindon Andy
    Participant

My first was also a Corsair – a two door 2000GT V4

Radar

My first was also a Corsair – a two door 2000GT V4

I used to think all the extra dials were so cool

Specs and pics of the Corsair here:

https://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/carspecs.php/?see=3399

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.