First Aid kits and First Aid on the road.

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe First Aid kits and First Aid on the road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

Being a qualified first aider for my firm, I thought it would be a good idea to put the knowledge to use if I happen to be pottering about somewhere and keep a first aid kit on the bike. I was wondering, besides the obvious gear, what else might be necessary that would be approproate to biking acidents. What do y’all think?

Radar

Be careful, with the current compensation culture. Good thought though.

I make light look slow

Ragdoll
    Participant

Hmmm…trying desperately hard to think where I’ve seen first aid kits for bikers and remember what was in them!

There’s a thin person inside me screaming to get out…but I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate!

Digger
    Participant

some Witch Hazel,a plaster,cottonwool,tweezers,splint and a mop.

Take it easy out there

Born2BMild
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Be careful, with the current compensation culture. Good thought though.

I make light look slow

Know what you mean there mate. Once in Germany, one guy pulled another from a burning wreck of a car. The guy then sued is rescuer for back injuries which were probably down to the initial crash and, learner drivers in Germany have to do a first aid cours too!

GSF K1
    Participant

If its for biking accidents, then witch hazel and tweezers arent going to be alot of use, try a neck brace, back board and a large black bag!

Go out with a BANG… Light a fart!

Gix
    Participant

When I did first aid all we were told we needed to carry was:
    1 square piece of clean lint or similar
    1 50p coin
    1 small length of bandage or a boot lace
    1 crepe or similar bandage
    1 pen or pencil
    anything else needed can be found at roadside

To this day all I carry is the coin, something resembling a pen or pencil (it doesnt need to write so a length of something rigid and fairly strong, I usually carry the removable piece of the screwdriver bit from toolkit), a lace or piece of string and piece of lint or clean rag.
    I also carry a “leatherman” which is like the swiss army knife of toolkits….it has scissors and sharp knife as well as tools I may need if problem with bike![;)]

NEW BIKE ON FRIDAY!!!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

speedy claire
    Participant

You`ve gotta remember that any motorcycle accident has the potential to cause multiple and life threatening injuries including head, neck and back injuries, heavy blood loss, severe burns and unconsciousness.

In a situation where an individual is seriously injured, skilled and immediate first aid can be the difference between survival and death.

With all serious injuries sustained by motorcyclists your main aim should be to…

a) ensure the casualty can breathe effectively
    b) stop all blood loss
    c) protect the head, neck and back
    d) ensure the quick arrival of medical attention.

A full-faced helmet should only be removed if the injured rider does not have a clear airway and cannot breathe. In all other circumstances the helmet should remain in place unless the rider chooses to remove it him/herself. In the situation where a casualty requires resuscitation and is wearing a full-faced helmet, the helmet must be removed by at least two people with the first person ensuring that the head and neck are completely stabilised and supported to avoid any further damage. The second person must carefully remove the helmet in a way that minimises all movement to the head and neck.

Once the helmet has been removed you can perform resuscitation.

Bleeding wounds can be hidden from view or disguised by riding leathers. Often the puncture made in the leathers is not a true indication of the severity of a wound. Heavy and life-threatening blood loss requires that the wound be exposed to the first aider so that direct pressure can be applied with bandages or clothing.

In the case of motorcyclists wearing leathers it is vital that the leathers be removed from the wound. This may require the leathers to be torn or cut away with shears, scissors or a knife.

Stop any bleeding by applying direct pressure to the wound with bandages or clothing. If possible, elevate the bleeding part above the level of the chest and keep the injured person as still as possible.

In the event of an accident, it is possible that a rider can be trapped underneath his/her bike. Extreme heat from exhausts and engine parts can be conducted and contained in leathers, burning the rider.

For all burns it is vital to expose the wound and cool it with running water until the affected area returns to a normal temperature.

Remove clothing if possible from the burnt area. If it is stuck, cut around it; don’t attempt to pull it off. Remove jewellery to prevent restricting circulation due to swelling. Protect the burnt area with a sterile or non-stick dressing or closely woven material.

When you come across an accident the first thing to do is to direct someone to call 999 for an ambulance. Always:-

a) Think of your own safety, check to see if it is safe to approach the injured person?

b) Check if the person is conscious or unconscious. Shake them lightly and shout to them. If they don’t respond they are unconscious.

c) The airway must be protected, roll them onto their side, being aware that their neck may be injured and needs to be stabilised whilst they are being rolled.

d) Once on their side check that the mouth is clear of any obstructions such as blood or vomit and make sure that they are breathing.

e) Stop any bleeding by applying direct pressure with bandages or clothing. If possible, elevate the bleeding part above the level of the chest. Keep the injured person as still as possible by packing clothing and equipment around them to prevent movement to the spine and any broken bones.

f) Keep the casualty warm, take of your own jacket and place it over them.

g) No matter how minor you think the injuries may be, if a hospital admission is necessary don`t allow the casualty anything to eat or drink. They may end up requiring surgery and any operation would be delayed if the casualty has recently had anything to eat or drink.

A first aid kit would be extremely limited due to room and also whats the point in carrying something if you don`t know how to use it? but I would think the important things are:-

sterile non adherent dressings
    bandages
    triangular bandage
    Sharp scissors or penknife
    lots of sterile gauze

The triangular bandage is useful in the event of the injured person having an “open fracture” which is where the bone is broken and is sticking out of the skin. You can`t apply direct pressure to stop any bleeding but what you can do is roll the bandage into a long thin “sausage shape” then make a ring out of it. Apply the ring over the exposed bone to protect the area and then apply gauze and bandage.

Don`t ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!….

Deep down inside me there`s a skinny girl trying to come out, but normally I can shut that b*tch up with some chocolate!…..

barmy_carmy
    Participant

I did a 1st aider course when I was younger…..have always remembered what to etc. Always carry a mobile phone. 10yrs ago I came across a car accident was quite serious, Most people had just stopped and stared, There was a bloke dragging the driver out of the car, I started running to him to tell him to stop but was too late, he was about to give the groaning driver a drink,I grabbed his hand and said a firm NO! I then proceeded to cover him with my coat, and made the other bloke take his coat off To cushion his head and it was a frosty night, I then instructed someone else to call for ambulance etc At the same time I was talking to the driver to keep him awake, was there till the ambulance got there!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

Ragdoll
    Participant

I knew I’d seen soemthing somewhere…it’s on my own bloody website [:I] https://www.lancashireambulance.nhs.uk/Category.asp?cat=1143

There’s a thin person inside me screaming to get out…but I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Excellent advice all, especially Speedy Claire, thanks for taking the time to write that out. Have you thought about a career in the medical profession? [:D]

There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don’t

Born2BMild
    Participant

I reckon she’d make the perfect nurse[:o)]

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Lol!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

GSF K1
    Participant

Nahhh… she’s

1) too petite
    2) too English

Go out with a BANG… Light a fart!

speedy claire
    Participant

not sure about the petite but definitely with you on the too English!!! I`ll defo look into a nursing career lol

Don`t ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!….

Deep down inside me there`s a skinny girl trying to come out, but normally I can shut that b*tch up with some chocolate!…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.