Ferry advice

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Ferry advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fastboy
    Participant

Anybody took a bike on a ferry? Going in the summer to France and wondering if I need to take anything.

Harald
    Participant

From Belgium to France you don’t need to take a ferry. ;)

Floor it !!

fastboy
    Participant

Guess that must seem strange! I’ve been living and working in the UK for 6 years and bought my bike here (Suzuki GSXR600). Never took a bike on the ferry before and wondered what I can do to look after it. I was hearing a few stories about accidents on the ship and it put me off a bit. Have you used the ferry ?

wheelie
    Participant

Take a spare set of bulbs and don’t forget the GB sticker (or is it Belgian sticker in your case?)

Saying this cause I got pulled about 3 years ago by cops just outside calais and they fined me 50 quid on the spot and made me buy a sticker and bulbs. I’d only been off the ferry for 20 minutes. No problem with the bike on the ferry though it was well strapped down. I might do the tunnel this year.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Usual method on ferries is:

Bike on centre stand. Rope from boat joist to rider’s footrest, wrap it round and back to joist.

My advice is to take a towel or old rag with you and slip it over the seat and side panel before they strap your bike down. An oily rope which is anchored to your footrest does wonders to rub the paint off your side panel and dirty your seat. If you get chance, strap your bike down yourself and let them check it.

They do have wooden wedges which they put under the tyres on rough crossings. Find a few of these and put them under your tyres just in case. Even the calmest of crossings can get choppy in the middle of the channel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@imperial data

The towel is a good idea. My bike has been damaged several times by ferry workers. They are only small marks but I was annoyed and had a big argument on the boat once.

@wheelie

French police are a lot worse than English for small offence like that. I am not suprised you had a fine.

tosh
    Participant

Good idea the towel m8. I go to the Isle of man races where you would think the ferry companys would know how to strap a bike down. It just aint true. Lots of complaints and fights over that when I last went over. As I.D. says – do it yourself and let em check it.

Tosh

Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I’m not listening – Homer Simpson

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I.D.’s right, always take a towel or a bit of cardboard and do the strapping up yourself. And a piece of wood for your sidestand if you go camping.

Bellyboy

Radar

Worth promoting this topic back to the top. Anybody off travelling in Europe this year?

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Fast boy we’ve been across on ferry several times,Dover- Calais. You do need to take towel or something to put in between side panel and straps. You also need to take all your driving documents, ie. license, log book etc. There is up to £500 fine if you dont have your driving documents. And GB sticker which you can obtain at ferry port.[:p]

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

Digger
    Participant

done south of france last year going again may this year.we had no probs with the ferry,they used flat straps with soft cushions to stop any marks.take spare key,alarmfob,small can chainwax,all bike docs,sparegloves,waterproofs,have small change ready ie:cents euros for the tolls.

Take it easy out there

speedy claire
    Participant

I`m hoping to go over to Prague etc. later on in the year. so will take “on board” all the above tips!

Don`t ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

GSX Rat
    Participant

get a rat then it dont matter how they strap it down, or if it falls over LOL

btw – when camping in a field, half a dozen old cd’s glued together stops your sidestand sinking in the mud…

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Gix
    Participant

or if you have a rat just dont bother about the cds glued together cos it dont matter if your side stand sinks in the mud and ratbike falls over……..

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, what a ride!

suck_animated.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

i dont, was just advice for all those plastic fantastic sportsbike riders out there…….

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Ferry advice’ is closed to new replies.