Ewan McGregor

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Ewan McGregor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Radar

The Scottish actor of “Trainspotting” and “Star Wars – Attack of the Runs” fame is a big biking fan and is off on a world tour on a BMW R1150GS with another bloke on a similar bike. Apparently they will be doing a travel log to be shown on TV later this year. Should be worth watching. Keep your eye out for it.

Radar

This became rather a big thing!

bmw-r1150gsa-04-bikepics-454402.jpg

I saw the actual bikes when I attended the Goodwood Festival of Speed back in June. Had a chat with Charlie Boorman, who rode the trip with MacGreggor and he was a top bloke.

bmw-r1150gsa-04-bikepics-454403.jpg
    This shows the mileage they covered.

He rode the bike up the test hill and even took to the trackside grass a few times. It provided an intersting contrast to the racing cars and bikes on show. Amazing event BTW. If you ever get the chance – go!

Look in the Forest if you want to find trees

Scouser
    Participant

much respect

Be seen and be Safe!

jayas1965
    Participant

I saw Charlie Boorman at a Ron Haslam race school I did earlier this year. He went out with Rocket on a ‘blade. Ron is a top bloke as well. I thought I was shifting when Ron went past me on a ‘blade on his back wheel! Had a chat with the man himself and he had the time to chat. Nice guy. I ended up getting a ‘blade after that experience.

Jay – 2004 Fireblade

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Must watch this series, heard a lot about it. And as for being overtaken, it’s no shame that it was ‘Rocket Ron’ coming past on his back wheel!

Where was the race school Jayas?

There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don’t

Gix
    Participant

isnt it based at Donnington? Sure thats where my dad did his in the summer….that was Ron Haslam race school….lucky git![:p]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

katana
    Participant

I did it a few years back – couldn’t belive that Ron was actually there.

Donut – I mean DONATE!

logospin.gif

jayas1965
    Participant

It was at Donnington. Ron is not always there but does use the circuit and drops in apparently.
    You have to do the CBR600 school first then the ‘blade one. Fantastic day out.
    I got the Long Way Round book and DVD for my birthday. Great series and the book is well worth reading. They drop into the Nurburgring on the way and even stay at the Lindenhof Hotel and in the same room as we use! See my Nurburgring Review…

Jay – 2004 Fireblade

Radar

Would love to do a race school day, moreso than a track day as I would worry about binning my own bike too much.

Digger
    Participant

I think Prezzo knows that feeling.

Take it easy out there

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Would love to do a race school day, moreso than a track day as I would worry about binning my own bike too much.

Prices for the one at Dononngton in 2006 are out….£249 for the premiere package, bikes are CBR600s, they provide everything you need and you even get a certificate at the end…seriously thinking about saving for that instead of trackday, seems you get more for your money, and excellent preperation for when you want to become a trackday demon!

https://www.haslamraceschool.com/

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Radar

MMMMM….Count me in too. Target next Easter?? You could egg me on…

Gix
    Participant

might be a bit later than easter, I have to scrape the money together and just breaking even now…..will have to see if I get any b’day money![;)]

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Radar

I have just watched all seven episodes of Ewan McGregor’s and Charlie Boorman epic bike ride on their BMWs. I have to admit to being a little bit of a sceptic going into watching the DVDs as they set off with a pile of kit, free bikes and brace up back up 4x4s.

However as their remarkable journey unfolded before me the adventures, sights and sounds they experienced easily transcended my initial cynicism. The epic journey was a joy to watch and it was plain from the bias of the editing that the section of the journey that affected then the most came when they entered the former eastern block and the pair of actors traversed across Russia, Kazakhstan and the utterly spell binding Mongolia. Then they headed back into Russia and Siberia to tackle the Road of Bones. This section was almost surreal such was it’s atmosphere, the road was constructed back in the days when Russia was a closed place and political prisoners were forced to work on the construction of the road. Legend has it that when they died, as millions did, their remains were included in the road, hence the chilling title.
    It was during these sections that the pair lingered meeting people trying to see how they lived. However once the pair reached Canada and USA the DVD went into fast forward, McGregor in particular seemed to be yearning to get back to the places and people he met in the east.

Ewan and Charlie despite their fame are very grounded and their genuine love of bikes is obvious throughout the series. They communicated the joy of biking so eloquently and in doing have lifted the image of biking in an enormously positive way. In fact they have done more for our cause with a wider audience than any number of Rossi GP wins.

Guys you have my respect, and by the way the BMWs were very impressive too, KTM must be kicking themselves!

Ragdoll
    Participant

We did the same Radar…watched them all from start to finish. I was glued to the telly. It was impressive anyway watching them pushing those bikes through rivers but I was even more impressed when a friend turned up to the meet on one and I saw the size of the buggers!

There’s a thin person inside me screaming to get out…but I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.