DAS Retest.

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe DAS Retest.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

The day of the retest had arrived and, even though I knew what to expect, I was a lot more nervous than the last time. The test was at 2:30 PM and as the day started at 8:00 AM, I had until then to get reacquainted with the GS500. Not being on a bike for three weeks, my slow control had suffered somewhat and at the start, I was again taking corners to wide into junctions. After a while though, I settled down a bit and it improved. Maybe the instructors threat of taking the keys off me and me having to wheel it back 17 miles to the training centre had some effect after all. The morning was spent riding around the area of Wolverhampton used for the test routes, practicing U-turns and controlled stops. The latter were fine, but the on the first U-turn I messed up. After more practice though, got back to the standard I had before. The problem was, I had gotten out of the practice of using the rear break to control my speed.

And so it was onto the test. After the couple of show me questions, we were off onto the streets. Very nervous to start with, but once into the ride, the concentration required, blotted out the nerves. After a while, we pulled up into a side street for the U-turn and the control stop, The controlled stop came first and the bit of freedom from the examiners sight as I went around the block, let me settled down a bit. The stop went fine. Next came the U-turn. After getting off the bike and demonstrating the use of the stand, I had to wheel it around to the other side road. Then I got on the bike for the U-turn. Started fine, with good observations, looking into the turn and ignoring the kerb. After halfway round and straightening up though, for some reason I dabbed my foot down. Totally stupid and no reason for it whatsoever. I knew I had failed and rightly so. By now I should have had no problem at all, except for being a complete p*llock. The test continued however, with me half hoping that I could make up for the numptiness. After going over the roundabout from hell and dealing with quite a few challenging situations that I was tempted to think were devised to test me, we eventually finished up at the test centre. Another couple of questions and then I was informed of the failure. I thought it was just for the dab, but it was also for something else. You guessed it, the roundabout from hell. I indicated too early before the intended exit road, though I was not aware a driveway counted as road before the junction I took. Another stupid error and again the examiner called it right. More thought and forward planning was required. If a car had been waiting to pull out, he could have been given the impression that I intended to turn into the driveway. Two serious errors, though no minors.

14709181440.jpg

14715372889.jpg

The examiner did make a point, however, of saying that the two errors were completely out of character from the rest of the test. Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps? One would hope so, but I am beginning to think there is a more fundamental problem. Though some of the test was fine, if I can’t hold my concentration throughout a 40-minute test, it doesn’t bode well for becoming a safe and competent rider. I can do it in car after 30 years of driving, so why not on a bike.

Anyway, the re-retest is booked for the 23rd June. The earliest possible date. I am going to crack this bloody thing in the end or die of old age trying.

Gix
    Participant

That was really harsh on the examiners part mate, I cant see what the problem is concerning you indicatn at roundabout, its counted as a left rather than “straight on”, you indicated, but cos of a driveway he is saying you did indication too early? So if I approach a junction I am only supposed to indicate after last driveway entrance? b****cks! He was way too harsh there mate!
    You will nail it, but it would be handy if you had access to a geared 125 in meantime to keep sharp for it if you know what I mean.[;)]

Radar

Tough on you there B2B, especially the stuff on the island. Stick with it mate, it will be different to ride after you have passed, the concentration will come natrually without the pressure of an instructor bearing down on you.

June 23rd? Gives you nearly four weeks to trade the GSXR6 for a R6!

Born2BMild
    Participant

Isn’t the exchange rate 1 GSXR to 2 R6s.[:o)]

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Born2BMild

Isn’t the exchange rate 1 GSXR to 2 R6s.[:o)]

LOL!

GSX Rat
    Participant

if your continuing straight ahead at a roundabout why indicate left at all???

Then again, indicators, as well as fairings and mirrors are for puffs :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.