custom bike build

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe custom bike build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    newk
    Participant

thought you might like an insight on what it takes to build a custom bike, now im not a proffesional builder just me in my garage with basic tools all my bikes are built to a budget normally around a grand and are by no means show winning bikes and will hopefully inspire some of you to have a go
    so the project starts with a 1980 z750r frame and a kawasaki zzr1100 engine and loom+front end wheels and shock for £350 , i then buy a complete cbr1000 for £150 005-3_zps13d1e301.png

newk
    Participant

1st job is to try and get the engine to fit in the frame , and suprise suprise it dont fit , i cut off all the engine mounts except the bottom rear lugs and the lower left hand cradle , now the engine goes in but i have to modify the engines lower mount to get the gearbox sprocket to line up with the swingarm and rear sprocket then make tenplates for the rest of the engine mounts013-1_zps695383da.jpg

BigBen
    Participant

Good work Newk, I’m on with a build too at the mo, let’s have a forum build off? ;)

newk
    Participant

elo ben wot u builing ?

BigBen
    Participant

PM sent as it’s a secret ;)

Radar

Looking forward to following this…and Ben’s big ‘reveal’ ;D

newk
    Participant

decided not to go with the zzr front and rear suspention and im using the cbr1000 the zzr were a bit short and the cbr rear end had a better shock and meant i could have matching wheels
    i had to make a new bearing cup to lenghen the headstock and get the bearings to fit properly and make new link arms for the rear suspention and space the shock over to align with frame and swing arm mounts
    016-1_zpsc8dbdba7.jpg

BigBen
    Participant

Newk how did you make your bearing cup?

Radar that makes me sound like some sort of flasher :p haha

Radar

Newk how did you make your bearing cup?

Radar that makes me sound like some sort of flasher :p haha

Good work there Newk, how long to complete?

@Ben, if the cap fits… ;)

newk
    Participant

it normally takes me about 100 /150 hours for each build , this zzr is gunna take a bit longer due to the complex of the build, ben the bearing cup was just turned up on me brothers lathe and pressed into the headstock , ill do a pic wen i take te front end out after iv finished the mock up

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Great post, makes me want to pick up the tools again. Look forward to seeing this one coming along.

BigBen
    Participant

Yeah would appreciate that cheers matey.

Radar

I must get to restoring my RD350. Trouble is while it rides and goes well, I just want to use it. My garage is also packed which limits what I can do to a great extent too

newk
    Participant

getting there slowly still got exhaust and bars to do and a few odds and sods but it runs  ;D021_zpsae2839c2.jpg

026_zps7f02a8f6.jpg

028_zps47886648.jpg

036_zps12260001.jpg

Radar

Good progress, what are the plans for the zorst etc?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.