Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs

Home Forums Bikers’ Rights Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs
    By Steve Farrell

Politics & the law

05 November 2008 15:46

The time has come to consider banning motorcycles from the roads, police chiefs have told MPs.

They are ‘motorised toys’ which may not be ‘fit for purpose’ on public highways, the Association of Chief Police Officers told the Commons Transport Committee.

The association based its call on the false claim that production motorcycles are ‘readily available’ with tops speeds of over 200mph. In fact not a single production motorcycle has broken the 200mph barrier.

The association said: ‘Production machines are readily available for use on our roads with top speeds in excess of 200mph. Motorcycles are seen in the UK to be, in the majority of instances, vehicles of choice rather than necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys.’

The comments have been published in a report by the committee on road safety. They were part of ACPO’s official response to a committee consultation.

The ACPO memo calls for the creation of no-motorcycle zones and points to power caps. It states: ‘There is a need for radical thinking in respect of motorcycles, including consideration of engine capability and the creation of protection zones where all motorcycles other than those specifically permitted would be prohibited.’

The association also calls for motorcycles to be fitted with chips to allow police to identify them from a distance, and tougher penalties for illegal number plates. It says: ‘The detection of motorcycling offences is problematic, encouraging non-compliance. This includes Vehicle Excise Duty evasion on a massive scale.

“For this reason, stricter penalties should be introduced for non-compliant registration plates and further work should be done on the development of such products as number plates containing chips that will allow automated vehicle identification, even at high speeds.’

In fact official Government research shows just 6.5% of motorcycles are untaxed.
    MCN asked ACPO to defend its claims. The association has yet to do so.

Taken from MCN:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/November/3-9/nov0508-mps-told-to-ban-motorcycles/

Radar

MCN do have a tendancy to get carried away, however this is a worrying statement. Perhaps it is time we all joined the BMF/MAG to protect our way of life!

https://www.bmf.co.uk/home/index.php

https://www.mag-uk.org/

I used to be a member of the BMF but let my membership lapse many years ago. Time to rethink this…

BigBen
    Participant

maybe its time to take all this into our own hands by rioting..this country needs a good riot to sort everything out!!
    if they ban bikes then im afraid they have to ban sportscars too..evos, scoobys and porsches etc should all get it too..hows that fair? its about time MPs and officals actually became real people instead of living in their bubble.
    riot!

TT07
    Participant

So a percentage of motorcycles are being used untaxed, well so are a percentage of ALL vehicles. Replace the word motorcycles with Supercars as they have simular top ends and the rest of the rubbish applies to them. Hang on though best not try to upset the rich folks who can afford the Supercars they are the type who contribute directly into Political funds no matter which party they wish to influence. As for the part about vrm plates, I take it other vehicle types dont cause a problem. Absolute Claptrap.

Champs
    Participant

Most high performance ‘family’ cars eg, the new Jag, I believe are speed restricted to 155mph.

They should just do that with Bikes. With its current drive chain changes mine would be around there so I am okay. LOL.

Very funny, I don’t see how they can ban bikes, it would be like banning chavs from shopping centers.

BigBen
    Participant

i beg your pardon?
    newish bikes coming in this country are already restricted to 186mph. however this top speed restriction can be removed as it could also be done to a car.. and where in this country are you meant to use a jag at 155mph legally?
    if thats the case then surely they should restrict all vehicles to a top speed of 80mph (for overtaking).
    if, by law all vehicles had to be resricted how many bikes/cars do you think the companies would sell? they would not sell many and itd have a knock-on effect all around the world. you take away the fun, you take away the reason to own something different

BigBen
    Participant

not to sound rude however..i just realised it seemed a tad agressive.

BigBen
    Participant

Deal!

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

lol…shall we lobby Parliament? Pay e’m a bit of cash for questions. Got a better idea to keep biking safe though….

Pass a law that says Politicians can claim all expenses appertaining to motorcycles and their associated running costs!! Job done. Bikes safe forever.

The Hood
    Participant

Perhaps we should ban Politicians & (W)banker’s we’d all be better off!!!!  ;D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.