CMC Motorcycles 2 stroke day. 10th June. Radar, Ses, Thumper out to play. Pics!

Home Forums Meetings and events CMC Motorcycles 2 stroke day. 10th June. Radar, Ses, Thumper out to play. Pics!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Radar

CMC Motorcycles, a large Yamaha dealers in Clay Cross Derbyshire were holding a ‘2-stroke day’ and this seemed an ideal opportunity to blow some cobwebs out of my RD350YPVS! I was joined by Thumper one of his TDR250s and Ses riding his Honda CBF1000 as our  ‘Support Bike’! After all that Givi box on his bike is bigger than a Stobart lorry!!

We had great fun pushing the pair of ‘strokers’ along some cracking roads, principally the A515 and A516. We passed through Matlock where loads of bikes were out enjoying a rare dry day…what a dire ‘summer’ we are having!!

Thumper and I were in typical two-stroke mode and thrashing our bikes like spotty teenagers. In another flashback to our youth, when we pulled up at the lights Thumper reached over and flicked my bikes killswitch just as the signal turned to green! This left me stranded and fumbling for the kick-starter…git! That used to be a regular trick back in the day!

Once at CMC we were greeted by a bustling scene and they had even had put aside a dedicated parking area for 2-strokes. Poor old Ses on the four stroke support bike was banished to a spot next to the bar-be-que!

We also hooked up with a mate of mine from the Thundercat forum who had ridden over on his recently acquired 2011 Speed Triple, and a couple of his friends, Chris and Jeanette (now UKDucky!), riding a ZX10R and Gixxer750.

The array of two strokes was stunning, with a wider variety than I was expecting…it wasn’t just mint RDs and GT750’s….

I will let the pics tell the story from here…

DSCN4141.jpg
    Ses and the support bike ready for the off

DSCN4143.jpg
    Thumper brought along his black TDR250

DSCN4244.jpg
    Good turnout at CMC

DSCN4145.jpg
    Well put

DSCN4146.jpg
    Everybody who turned up on a stroker got a medal…hey I have an award winning bike!

DSCN4149.jpg
    Neat LC/YPVS hybrid, a common conversion back in the day

DSCN4150.jpg
    Heavily reworked LC, not one for the purists, but some cool work done

DSCN4154.jpg
    RS250, the last true 2-stroke sports bike?

DSCN4155.jpg
    GT550 just like Toggsy’s

DSCN4159.jpg
    Honda, not big fans of 2-strokes, only really dabbled with the market in the UK. When did you last see a MB5??

DSCN4160.jpg
    Mint KH400, but I am still haunted by memories of my desperately bad KH250

DSCN4162.jpg
    Sheene tribute

DSCN4163.jpg
    Some ideas for Thumper?

DSCN4166.jpg
    Beautiful little Bantam, got my vote as bike of the day

DSCN4168.jpg
    Suzuki X7, top dog before the LC stole the crown in 1980

DSCN4171.jpg
    Not a 2-stroke, but I couldn’t leave this out!

DSCN4174.jpg
    Ses, Nick and Thumper

DSCN4177.jpg
    The obligatory GT750…

DSCN4179.jpg
    Ask ID for riding impressions…this is his dark secret

DSCN4182.jpg
    Thank God there was a ‘light-salad’ van!

DSCN4184.jpg
    Some interesting stuff among the new metal in the dealership…this perfect NS400R for example

DSCN4188.jpg
    Mid 1990’s Honda Dream 50, beautiful little things that have a cult following now

DSCN4198.jpg
    DSCN4199.jpg
    Some interesting race bikes in there too

DSCN4200.jpg
    This what my RD SHOULD look like, so perfect…I want!!

DSCN4210.jpg
    David Jeffries 1999 R1 immortalised during the IoM TT…gone but not forgotten

DSCN4212.jpg
    Just like the one I had in 1984…RD250LC

DSCN4242.jpg
    The support bike banished to the 4-stroke section…

We rounded off an excellent ride by heading over to Ashbourne for a quick drinkie. I also enjoyed a few miles on Nicks Triumph, which I will review elsewhere when I get five minutes:

DSCN4249.jpg
    The crew, including new member UKDucky

DSCN4252.jpg
    I was pleased with my medal…anybody else remember Mutley?

All in an excellent days riding in great weather, in this lousy summer you can’t say fairer than that.

Thanks to Ses, Thumper, UKDucky, Chris and Nick for joining in!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Fantastic stuff, great to see so many strokers in one place.  I’d forgotten about those MT5 Hondas.

Oh, and thanks for outing me as a former MZ owner. I’d post some pictures but strangely there are none in my collection. I guess it’s hard to take photos while you are pushing a bike ::) Just before selling it though it was running nicely but I really had lost interest.

I completely rebuilt the engine (even split the crankcase so everything was refurbed) and I’d say it was a very easy rebuild.  That said, I have no fond memories of it whatsoever.

ses310

Excellent day out again guys… And must say thanks to Thumper for the blast on the TDR

HippoDrones
    Participant

2T Heaven! :)  great pics, looks like a top day :)

Radar

Fantastic stuff, great to see so many strokers in one place.  I’d forgotten about those MT5 Hondas.

Oh, and thanks for outing me as a former MZ owner. I’d post some pictures but strangely there are none in my collection. I guess it’s hard to take photos while you are pushing a bike ::) Just before selling it though it was running nicely but I really had lost interest.

I completely rebuilt the engine (even split the crankcase so everything was refurbed) and I’d say it was a very easy rebuild.  That said, I have no fond memories of it whatsoever.

I have a pic of you with the MZ, I will have to dig it out. I have owned an MZ125 too, but I never actually rode it. The thing was given to me and then I sold it for £30!

More East German delights here

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/berlin-germany-ddr-motorrad-museum-pictures/

robertcains
    Participant

2014 was twice the turnout, it’s becoming quite legendary & is their biggest weekend of the year now, 2015 guys?

Radar

2014 was twice the turnout, it’s becoming quite legendary & is their biggest weekend of the year now, 2015 guys?

I plan to make in 2015 if at all possible on a shiney YPVS!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Count me in!

ses310

Me too !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.