Checa confident on road to Catalunya

Home Forums Bike racing Checa confident on road to Catalunya

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

Carlos Checa riding fast is hardly a shock for followers of the Spaniard’s career. However, the Yamaha Tech3 rider’s phenomenal performance in Qatar in his first test with his new team came as something of a pleasant surprise. The Catalan himself- speaking after the Sepang Test exclusively to motogp.com- revealed that this debut performance had raised his expectations for the season.

“I had my doubts, but now I’m comfortable with the team and the bike” declared Checa, who also cited areas for improvement as the main focus of the coming tests.

“We need to improve the rear tyre and make it more consistent….but it’s a good starting point. This isn’t the kind of project that you draw conclusions from in two days”

The rider left somewhat in limbo at the start of the year by the withdrawal of Sito Pons from MotoGP always felt he should be racing this season. He confessed to being at home two weeks before the Qatar Test confident but with a small doubt over his participation, keen to play a part in the World Championship.

“I felt I wasn’t ready to stop. I feel like I need to be on the track. The speed, the competition…everything. Although I’ve started things late, working against the odds gives me great satisfaction”

Checa and teammate James Ellison will head to Montmeló, the Spaniard’s home circuit, for the Official Catalunya Test next week. Although it is a track that the team should be familiar with, Checa points out that “with a new bike, every circuit is new for you”. From his experience he knows the track to be slippery, and states that the team are “a little worried about the temperature”, but the opportunity to see Checa back in action is a pleasure for fans and the man himself whatever the weather.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.