Charity outing in the Forest Sunday 4th May

Home Forums Meetings and events Charity outing in the Forest Sunday 4th May

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

There’s an 80 mile charity ride out this Sunday (4th May) based in the Forest of Dean: email [email protected] for details. Or, like me, just turn up. £5 fee.

Starting at 11am at Tesco’s in Lydney, finishing at the Gurkha restaurant at the Woolaston Inn (on the A48) at around 2pm where there will be music and a barbecue. What’s not to like?

The organisers are hoping for around 100+ riders and it’s supposed to be dry – my first charity ride, so I’m looking forward to it. No idea of the route, but that’s part of the fun…  8)

I’ll be having a small hop juice & light salad at the Woolaston Inn at the end – look for the burly (OK: short, fat) greybeard with a Fatah keffiyeh neck warmer – do have a chat if you do turn up.

Radar

I do fancy ride out, but I will decide in the morning. Either way enjoy the ride!

Radar

Have decide to stick to a local run and do a bit of work on the RD and Zippy’s 125 project bike. Thanks for the invite in any case!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Out and about on family fun today so can’t make it Steve. Sounds good though, have a great day.

Radar

Did a 65 mile loop from Kidderminster, to Craven Arms and then back home via Bewdley in the end. Thumper, Ses and Kat joined me. I will post some pics later. Hope the charity run went well

elessimo
    Participant

Blessed with a sunny day that was actually warm, we met up in Lydney and downed the first coffee of the day. Jed had chosen his matt black Triumph Storm over the Harley: a good choice as there were several versions of American iron on show but only one other Triumph cruiser – a 2300cc chrome monster.

Apparently Gloucestershire Constabulary were remarkably laid back about the thought of over 100 bikes blasting through the countryside but the Gwent plod were not happy and warned that they would be out in force, so we set out in groups of 10, separated by a couple of minutes (theoretically).
    Jed and I were in the first group, accompanied by an old Ariel 500 that sounded great but couldn’t quite keep up with the pack leader. So halfway to Chepstow we split off and had a quick blast to clear the cobwebs, catching the leader before Tidenham.

On the way out of Chepstow the ‘Charlies Ride’ directions showed a sharp left hand turn towards Usk – Jed went barrelling straight on, apparently thinking that the leader and I were turning off for petrol at a non-existent garage. Already needing the loo, I had no hesitation in abandoning my mate and staying in the lead group of three, trusting Jed to notice what had happened and catch us up.

After overtaking several riders on sportsbikes (“went around them on the bends’) Jed did nearly catch us up, and took the piss-taking with good grace.

CCBRatTheSteelHorseCafe_zps0389e5fe.jpg

After a relaxed 30 minutes at the Steel Horse cafe we set out on a tour of twisty but picturesque B-roads, taking in Abergavenny, the Skirrid, St Arvans and Chepstow again before landing at the Woolaston Inn at 2.30pm where a good salad barbecue and a couple of pints of roasted barley went down well.

CCBRattheWoolastonInn_zps562e6ffb.jpg

In summary, it was a very well organised run with signs or marshals at most junctions and a superb route through the Anglo-Welsh countryside: hopefully loads of money was raised for 5 year old Charlie…

Radar

Sounds like and excellent event, great pictures too. We had a little 65 mile run that was fun too. Glad the cause seems to raise a few quid for the young lad. Grumpy old plod!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.