CGR Bike Gear Micro Fleece.

Home Forums Product reviews CGR Bike Gear Micro Fleece.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Well it has been four and a half long months since i last rode a bike as we have all endured the harshest winter for two decades. Well this weekend the Sun came out and it was time to get back out there. However despite the summer like appearance of the day it was in fact bitingly cold, say 4-6C at the most. Add in the wind chill, you are probably talking temps barely above freezing. But I needed a fix, so it was out with the FZ and YZF.

However there was a difference today, I donned my recently acquired micro fleece, a light but very warm garment that has a roll neck built into it. I wore it over a normal cotton T shirt with my vented summer jacket over it.

P3065760.jpg
    Ready for the off, only 5C but in my vented summer jacket…a good test for the Micro Fleece…

Well what can say…I was very impressed the fleece kept the elements well truly at bay over my 30 mile run and the roll neck kept me warm without the need for a separate neck tube. Also the over-suite jacket I normally wear on cold days wasn't needed. All in a impressive piece of kit.

P3065761.jpg
    My daughter also liked it…

For me I would like the neck piece material to be slightly thinner than the main body of the fleece and perhaps a touch longer so it could cover the bottom of my face too. CGR will tune garments to your requirements too for a additional fee, which would be handy for those of you who ride regularly in harsh conditions, or just feel the cold more than most.

All in all a impressive piece of kit for £19.99. I can imagine other groups finding it useful too, skiers, hikers, postmen even. I will keep it in my rucksack when I am out on those chilly morning rides to Wales!

https://www.cgrbikegear.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3&category_id=1

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

Many thanks for the review Radar.

As you say, we customise any/all of our products and your daughter will be pleased to note we do ladies fittings. For something as simple as you are requesting there would be no additional charge. Just a polite e-mail request before your order and it would be done no trouble. We are pleased you liked it as honest biker reviews mean a lot to us.

Regards

Paul & Claire

TT07
    Participant

I too donned mine over the weekend and likewise only did approximately 25 miles. Upon pulling the microfleece over my head I thought Christ this is tight around the neck, where as fitment on length and waist and arm length was just right for me. I too went for my textile jacket (having closed the zip-ip vents as it hadn’t been worn since Autumn) and under the whole lot I did wear my 2 piece long-johns.

Stopping for a coffee, I considered how I would be feeling if I were wearing what I normally do, and realised that I WOULD BE a cold, but wearing the microfleece I definately was not. I normally wear a Hein Gericke neck tube, but this is not necessary with the microfleece and if I were to rate a neck tube for warmth it would be say 4/10 against wearing nothing where as the microfleece would get a full 10 as no wind at all gets through, and as I considered why I was so warm around the neck I realised that as well as the material type its also the tightness that I experienced when putting it on that stops any wind travelling down your neck.

Well done CGR, I like the product and know of someone who will shortly be ordering possibly one with a zipped neck (zip-top) from you.

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

TT07,

Thanks to you as well for the glowing report. The micro-fleece polo is for exactly those conditions during the harsh weather. I have tested it this year down to -5 probably colder with the wind factor on the motorway and as you say it is not found wanting. The new Zip-Top micro-fleece has distinct advantages and were designed for those that wish to remain dressed so to speak in cafe’s etc. The micro-fleece gets incredibly hot indoors and you end up taking it off (or shed half a stone)whereas the CGR Zip-Top can be unzipped and left on while indoors reducing the need to whip it off. Zip it back up and its good to go. We use special semi-concealed zips to reduce the chances of wind penetration but wind like water is a b**ger and can get anywhere.

They wash very well and dry real quick too.

For warm/summer conditions the cotton/elastane versions of the same garments are better.

Thanks for the reviews guys.

Paul

ses310

I will definatly have to order one of those when I return from my extended holiday to warmer climates… I would probably wear it most of the time as I feel the cold very badly…
    Cheers for the review guys

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by ses310

I will definatly have to order one of those when I return from my extended holiday to warmer climates… I would probably wear it most of the time as I feel the cold very badly…
    Cheers for the review guys

No worries it good product and British made which is good to see these days

Radar

Now the temps are dropping again I think this is worthy of a bump!

Radar

Used it on my icy, hail and snow affected run to Scotland. Got to say it was superb!

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/scottish-borders-run-review-and-pics/

Radar

Worthy of a bump on a day like today, heavy snow everywhere…still saw four brave souls out on bikes though

katana
    Participant

Wore mine today, but not on the bike. Kept me really toasty – recommended.

ses310

Your only showing off now as you got yours free  ;)

Radar

Your only showing off now as you got yours free  ;)

and I quote

“it should be inexpensive or not cost much” the Katana Moto…should have it on the bottom of his number plate!

These micro fleece are good though!

Radar

Dragged out my rather excellent CGR micro fleece last weekend when I went out on the 600. It is well toastie!

https://www.cgrbikegear.co.uk/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.