Buying the Suzuki GSX-R1000 K2

Home Forums Jap stuff Buying the Suzuki GSX-R1000 K2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

Well, I’ve had it a few months now and have done well over 3000 miles on it, so thought I would tell you what it’s like and how it compares to other bikes I have ridden.
    First of all, I actually test rode a few bikes before the one I finally bought.  When Yamaha bought out the first of the YZF R1’s, I desperately wanted one, and have done ever since until recently, when I was looking for a replacement for the GSX-R600, I always knew it would either be the R1 or the GSX-R750….or so I thought.[:o)]
    So….I went and rode some bikes!  I knew I didnt want a blade, have ridden a friends blade, and although very nice and tuned and modded with everything geared towards the track, it just wasnt “focused” enough, so if a bike ready for the track was bland, I was definetely not in the market for a standard one!
    The plan was to test ride the R1 (99), the GSX-R750, and an all black Aprilia RSV which I must admit, in the all black trim looked very tasty.  All of these bikes were at my local bike shop.
    The R1 was, after waiting so long to have a taste of what all the hype was about, a big disappointment.  Its a great bike, dont get me wrong, but horses for course it did not suit my riding style.  It was awesome in a straight line but I found it held its line in bends less than my old 600, skipping across the tarmac at every little bump, just didnt feel “planted” pattering around the bends.  It also seemed to take nearly as much effort to turn it in as my heavy 600 did too, I wanted something I could flick around with minimal imput.  So it was more or less decided, the GSX-R750, the RSV is a twin and although I wanted to ride it and see how I felt, I didnt think it would suit me after having an inline 4 for so long.
    I booked a “provisional” test ride on the 12 month old GSX-R750 they had in for the following Monday, the provisional was if it wasnt sold by the time the test ride came round.  Monday came and off I went.  Damn it was sold!  Tucked away in the corner ready for collection.
    [V]  They offered me a test ride on the K2 GSX-R1000 the previous owner had part ex’d for the K5.  I agreed I would give it a run but was doubtful it would be for me….so off I went after signing all the forms yet again.
    WOW!  It blasted me away!  I expected heavy, I expected cumbersome, I expected trouble!!!!!  I was pleasantly surprised!  It was none of the above!  Far easier to ride than anything I had ridden before.  Quick to turn in, a quick shift of weight half way through an S and you are leaning over to take the second half, the brakes (standard) are very effective, although I will eventually go for steel lines for durability, acceleration is awesome and it will cruise at silly speeds with no effort…it just holds its line straight and true.
    Of course, all bikes have their faults and the GSX-R is no exception.  Firstly, it will bite back if its not respected!  I have had several moments when I thought i would end up as jam on the tarmac.  On a smaller capacity bike it is sometimes neccessary to drop a gear and wring the throttle to overtake sharpish, do it on the GSX-R1000 and the rear slides round as if its on ice.  Also, coming up behind a car too quick, loosing the throttle but then opening it quickly again to overtake, had the front end off the tarmac and and me screaming on approach to a bend….  [:0].  Lesson learned very quickly![:I]  But are these faults after all?  After more than 3000 miles through all sorts of weather I am now alot smoother than I ever was on the 600, more confident, the tyres I now have on it offer plenty of grip and the bike holds its line so well, suspension so much better than on anything I have ridden, that I rarely “hedge skim” as Digger puts it, to avoid the bumpier parts of roads, the bike stays true on the line it is offered no matter what the tarmac has thrown at it up to now.  Its extreme, its manic, it has me giggling and jibbering like an idiot everytime I ride it!  It isnt everyones cup of tea but suits me, suits my style…..and it dont half surprise some fellas when they realise “OMG its a woman!” on that GSX-R1000 that just went flying past them.[:o)]

38519189852_00b1c1465b.jpg
    The only mods I have done are the blue flame end can and the removal of the orange wheel rim decals it had on when purchased

Radar

Great review Gix, and excellent pictures, but I still want an R1. Must ride one soon.

Scouser
    Participant

Very Happy for you Gix, can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

katana
    Participant

Excellent review Gix.

When you’re ready to take the fairing off and add a couple of twin spots give me a shout.

samstroker
    Participant

Nice bike, but doesnt the power of it scare you a little? They are apparently widow makers…..or so I have heard?[:0]

Digger
    Participant

The suspenion set up on that R1 might have been set up wrong or the previous owner might have been a heavy rider.My R1 handles superb after I tweaked the set up.

Sidevalve
    Participant

Looks a great bike Gix, pleased you sre enjoying it so much. Sometimes I trhink I should sell my ancient smoker and buy a modern sportsbike

Lex
    Participant

Should of bought a GSX1400

Radar

Time for an update Gix old girl…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.