BMW F800GS test ride

Home Forums European BMW F800GS test ride

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

Wet roads, gusty winds and poor Gloucestershire roads – perfect for trying out the Beemer middleweight GS. Motorrad Gloucester provided the bike, warning me that this is the tallest model in the GS range: it was a case of tiptoeing with the standard seat fitted although there is apparently a lower seat option somewhere.

First impressions: quite vibey, but at least the Akropovitch exhaust was audible at low speed. Once on the move the GS was stable, pulling from 2000rpm and filtering nicely through the Sunday traffic. Got back to Lydbrook in 30 mins in ‘Normal’ suspension and ‘Road’ mode, enjoying the quality of the ride; switching off the heated grips when the pain started to intrude. Although it corners well (much quicker than the TDM) the Beemer doesn’t exude the joie de vivre of yesterday’s test ride – the Tiger Xrx.

Admittedly maybe the Xcx might be a better comparison as the Xrx is more road-biased, but these Tigers and GSs will be mostly used on tarmac anyway… And the BMW twin did feel a little strangled: at speed and over-run the Akropovitchs were still a tad quiet, and although willing there wasn’t the urgency and fun of the Tiger.

F800GS_zpsdsghvpqj.jpg
    BMW%20F800GS_zpsieyy2sdc.jpg
    Steve%20on%20BMW%20F800GS_zpsfwwgklef.jpg

Anyway, back home to show Debs the bike and she’s got her gear on and wants to play… So she climbs aboard as I teeter from toe to toe, then we take the long way back to Gloucester, along the country roads through Ross, Ledbury and Hartpury. Suspension is now set for ‘Comfort’ and again I find the ride to be excellent – soaking up the broken asphalt and subsidence in great style. I end up aiming for the worst bits of the road but can’t find anything to faze the GS. There is no difference at all in turbulence between 80 – 105mph, so the screen works very well indeed, but it was a bit slow to get to the ton compared to my old Yam.

Back at the dealers I ask Debs for her judgement: “Hard and tight”, she says. Apparently she found the seat a bit hard and sensed the apparent lack of power that I’d noticed when solo. She also noted that her legs and hands were still tingling – after-effects of the vibes.

We then took the last leg, back to the Forest on the old TDM: as soon we got onto the A40 Debs said: “That’s better – more comfortable and more power”, while I was enjoying the roar of those Beowulfs; but to be fair it was noticeable how less willing the Yam was to tighten mid-bend at speed…. both European adventure bikes do that with ease.

Conclusion: although much too tall for short-arses like me, the F800GS has fantastic suspension, is slim and comfortable for the rider, has a good range of modes & extras and looks great. But put a loud can on the Tiger Xrx and it ticks more of my boxes: that wonderful engine and incredible cornering are in another league… IMO.

Debs still raves about her recent pillion ride on brother Thumpers now traded-in 1200GS, so I’ve got a test ride on the new model to come: the nice man at Motorrad has offered me a full day loan. No doubt Debs will then realise that it’s Thumpers riding style that is smooth and fast, not necessarily the bike…. 8)

contactjules
    Participant

great review Steve with just the right amount of innuendo ;) now get on the 1200GS and change your world !

elessimo
    Participant

great review Steve with just the right amount of innuendo ;) now get on the 1200GS and change your world !

Wot innuendo??  ???  Why don’t you critique your current works bike?

Radar

I think that could be a reference to the  “Hard and tight” comment…

Also any review of a German bike that gets the French phrase ‘joie de vivre’ in is OK with me.

Interesting write up and good to see you sampling some different iron

My impressions of Thumper’s recently departed GS

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/bmw-gs1200-2008-review/

elessimo
    Participant

My impressions of Thumper’s recently departed GS

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/bmw-gs1200-2008-review/

Nice one Radar – I can certainly relate to your viewpoint. But I can’t wait to try the 1200GS (with the lowered seat!) just to find out how it feels at low speed: I’m sure it’ll be fine at high speed – especially having followed Thumper, contactjules and Other Don on theirs… 8)

ses310

Nice review, the 1200GS is a huge leap on. Mine is a 2004 model and gotta say it’s hard to fault, just miss the power. If only it had another 40hp would be perfect

Radar

Nice review, the 1200GS is a huge leap on. Mine is a 2004 model and gotta say it’s hard to fault, just miss the power. If only it had another 40hp would be perfect

I enjoyed you GS when I rode it, well as much as I do any BMW…

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/bmw-gs1200-2004-review/

elessimo
    Participant

Thanks for moving this post ses!

Looking forward to the 1200GS – suppose I’d better try Triumphs’ big Explorer too, just for comparison….

ses310

No problem, I think it’d be rude not to try the Explorer too :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.