Biker killed in Oulton Park ‘track day’ crash (BBC)

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Track days Biker killed in Oulton Park ‘track day’ crash (BBC)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Radar

A 52-year-old man has been killed in a crash involving five motorbikes at Oulton Park racetrack in Cheshire.

He was having a “track day” at the circuit in Little Budworth when the accident happened on Saturday morning. The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene, while two other men who received serious injuries are being treated in hospital, said police. No Limits Trackdays, which runs events at circuits across Europe, described it as a “freak accident”.

Writing on Facebook, the company said two bikes in a “fast group” collided at a blind corner on turn 13 called City Hall.

‘Heartfelt sympathies’

Three more riders following behind over the hill then crashed into the two bikes. The company, which was established in 1993, said it had offered its “sincere, heartfelt condolences” to the family of the rider who died. Director Clare Keeley said the group was made up of experienced bikers and the man who died was a loyal customer.

She said the owners of Oulton Park, Motor Sport Vision (MSV), provided the marshals for the track day events. “We run bike track days [with MSV] where customer safety is paramount and lower numbers on track to what the capacity is to assure quality track time.”

MSV said it could not comment on the crash as it was part of an ongoing investigation.

No Limits Trackdays describes the 2.7-mile (4.3km) Oulton Park track as “one of the most challenging circuits in Europe, both feared and revered by even the British Superbike riders”.

The Health and Safety Executive has been informed about the crash, which happened shortly before 11:00 BST.

Source:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24426442

HippoDrones
    Participant

very sad news.

The trackday organiser as well as track owners are very good at keeping the days as safe as possible, accidents happen tho and we all know the risks when we go out on our bikes.

ses310

That’s very true Pete

Champs
    Participant

Very sad. RIP

Radar

very sad news.

The trackday organiser as well as track owners are very good at keeping the days as safe as possible, accidents happen tho and we all know the risks when we go out on our bikes.

All very true Pete. I wish the issue riders a speedy recovery and he family of the lad who died my condolences

I still want to do a track day despite this tragic incident

HippoDrones
    Participant

I think the other 2 riders are now no longer critical and are on the mend. One requires an operation tho

Radar

I think the other 2 riders are now no longer critical and are on the mend. One requires an operation tho

Good to see they are the mend

Do you still feel much after effects from your trackday accident?

HippoDrones
    Participant

my hip aches occasionally and my back sometimes hurts quite a bit but this it reduced by good posture (he writes while twisted and hunched over his laptop lol) and exercise…. now I have had an injection in my ankle I should be able to start running again :-)

Radar

my hip aches occasionally and my back sometimes hurts quite a bit but this it reduced by good posture (he writes while twisted and hunched over his laptop lol) and exercise…. now I have had an injection in my ankle I should be able to start running again :-)

Thats not too bad whn you consider you were pretty badly hurt

HippoDrones
    Participant

aye mate, healing done thanks to RAF Headly Court! :-)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

A 52-year-old man has been killed in a crash involving five motorbikes at Oulton Park racetrack in Cheshire.

Missed this, damn shame and quite rare it seems. Glad the others are on the mend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.