Beautiful Country – Day 1

Home Forums Great biking roads Beautiful Country – Day 1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

Well, what can I say? I have spent the last few days on a mini touring trip. On my own, couple of things in my rucksack, mini tank bag, everything I thought I would need, the bare essentials, off to explore some roads I have heard so much about, yet never had the opportunity to explore.
    I left Tamworth at 3pm on Tuesday afternoon (Yes I was late……its a woman thing!) and headed for the A5, the worst road I have ever had the misfortune of travelling, simply because of the GATSOs. Through Brownhills and Cannock they line the A5 like vultures waiting to extract hard earned cash from your wallet.
    I followed the A5 all the way to Shrewsbury, thank god the worst part (the only bad part) was over with. Taking the A458 south to Welshpool, now this was better. The odd fast sweeping bend, a few nice twisties, and the surface on the whole was good. Hmmmm. Was quite enjoying myself, not as good a road as some of the ones I have sampled of late, but way better than the boring, GATSO lined A5!!!
    Welshpool, well…….busy! Another “woman thing” is to plan journeys at the busiest time!!!! Thankfully, I am not afraid to filter in moving traffic so it didn’t take me all that long to get to the good bit. A stop to top up fuel and a stretch and off I went again.
    The next road I took is a road I have heard so much about, I had been told this road would have me grinning from ear to ear. I had been told this road had a surface like a race track…..smooth, undulating, twisting, sweeping. I had been informed correctly!!!! The road in question is the A483. For those of you have not followed this road before, I recommend you do. It is as if the road was built for bikes. The scenery is second to none. I stopped several times to take some pictures, I like scenery, and the views I had were breathtaking…..so I thought at the time…..

26d15647.jpg

487232d3.jpg

I followed the A483 through Newtown, Llandrindod Wells (the section between Newtown and Llandrindod Wells is amazing!), Builth Wells and finally onto Llandovery where I stopped for a stretch and more fuel.
    Now, I said that the scenery was breathtaking on the A483, I said that it was the best road I had done……that was until I got on the A4069 from Llandovery to Brynamman! The A4069 goes right over the Black Mountain….not through, not round….OVER! Its a road that is almost devoid of traffic, the surface is grippy, the bends are tight. Now this was my heaven!

b69544cd.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

a9dae71d.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

As you can see, I stopped several times to admire the views, admire the road….and just chill. It was so quite, the odd car, nothing else…..
    The only thing to watch out for (apart from going in too hot on the corners cos most of them have nothing to stop you from taking an unscheduled trip down the steep mountain side and subsequently to hospital), is the brainless sheep. Although I only had one close call with a ewe who obviously had other things on its mind, I have heard some horror stories about kamakazi sheep. I also had the misfortune of seeing the A4069 claim one of its victims this morning on my journey back…..but that was another day.
    Almost at my destination now, once off the A4069 at Brynamman, I hit the A474 for a couple of miles, reaching my destination…..a village right on the edge of the Black Mountain, Garnant…..and food and coffee and a blessed ciggy!!!![:D]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Radar

Looks brilliant. Glad that you enjoyed yourself kid…

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Very nice.

Wales – where girls are fast, men are men and sheep are frightened!

little_brit_llandewi_l_1.jpg

Digger
    Participant

sounds and looks like you had a ball Gix,must try them roads myself.

Take it easy out there

barmy_carmy
    Participant

You lucky thing gixerchic!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

Gix
    Participant

LOL! As long as my brakes are sorted by the weekend, going back, 400 mile round trip in one day, but worth it!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, VODKA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!

suck_animated.gif
    vipersig.jpg

Radar

Bump

HippoDrones
    Participant

WOW, gotta do more than explore the closest trusthouse forte motel on a dirty weekend over the severn bridge some time, looks wicked! :)

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

WOW, gotta do more than explore the closest trusthouse forte motel on a dirty weekend over the severn bridge some time, looks wicked! :)

I will not too many questions here Pete! Check out the other 3 posts in series. Gix put them on here some time ago, but I thought they were worthy of a bump

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.