Bassetts Pole. Sutton Coldfield. 10/05/2005

Home Forums Meetings and events Bassetts Pole. Sutton Coldfield. 10/05/2005

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Weather permitting I will be there…anybody else?

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Gix
    Participant

Unfortunately not me. Dont know if or when I will make the next one…[V]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, what a ride!

suck_animated.gif

Radar

Another Tuesday another Forum gathering at good old Bassetts Pole on the outskirts of sunny Birmingham.
    Star for the evening was Digger who had done the 100+ miles journey from Skelmersdale on his gleaming R1. He was happily tucking into as much of the McDonald’s menu as he could carry when Thumper (Yam SRX600) and I (Yam TDR250) rolled up to join him. Shortly after non member Simon (“The Black Country Bomber”), arrived on his Yam FZ6 Fazer, before Toggs spiolt the Yamaha ‘love in’ that was developing by arriving on his roaring Kwacker ZX6R.

Image038_zpst3mbzg5h.jpg
    Digger with his R1, smiling having run McDonalds out of Chicken Nuggets

No Gix! Our Forum Queen and star of ID’s Angels could not get anybody to look after her rug rats so she had to stay in consuming huge amounts of chocolate and surrounded in vacuum parts. She WILL return, of that have no doubt.

At Bassetts Pole I would estimate that there were at least 600-700 bikes at any one time, packing both the pub and McDonald’s car park. We spent most of the evening strolling amongst the lines of the finest bikes from Japan, the States and Europe.As usual the selection was absolutely mouth watering, and while it is difficult to stand out in these circumstances a few managed it. There were three extensively modified GSX1100 Katana dotted about, one of which was for sale and seemed to generating loads of interest. One had been fitted with a later GSX-R motor and all had mono shocked back ends, up-rated forks and brakes and trick paintwork. Now don’t get me wrong, they all looked superb and the workmanship seemed peerless, but are there any standard ones left? How much would one in this state be worth I wonder?

Image037_zpsvjnydkvm.jpg
    Heavily modified Katana for sale. Not sure about the exhaust

Representing the keeping it stock school of thought was a beautiful 1970ish Honda CB750K complete with the wonderful four into four exhaust system. Hard to believe that this was the Fireblade of it’s day, when you look at the bikes upright stance, weedy forks and skinny tyres! The Honda looked great nonetheless.

Also drawing a big crowd was a monster Boss Hoss (?), an American V8 propelled chopper designed to make HD’s look like Korean 125 customs! This thing was HUGE, not my kind of bike, but still strangely compelling. I loved the gloriously OTT eagles’ claw side-stand in particular.

Image029_zps779pa88k.jpg
    Image030_zpsrstlvivj.jpg
    Check out the side stand!

Some “show-boating” was of course going on with a Suzuki GSXR600 mounted lass and a lad on a R1 putting good displays of wheelie action. The police turning up and quickly curtailed the fun. However the best stunt of the night was performing by a bloke in a 38-tonne juggernaut! For some reason, best known to himself a lorry driver thought a car park with 600+ motorbikes in it would be the ideal spot for a rest halt. Amid increasingly chaotic scenes  and displaying considerable skill  he managed to thread his rig through the throng of bikes without touching a single machine. I had visions of him hitting one bike  and then setting off a domino effect throughout the bike park! The insurance claim form would of been a masterpiece.

Image034_zps8wgi78u4.jpg
    Loads of room!
    About 09:30 with temperature beginning to drop sharply Digger decided to head back up north to Scouser land, but his alarm plipper wasn’t playing ball and he alarm stoutly refused to disarm. Bugger, he must of let Gix touch his bike in Stratford…

Toggsy, the forum’s 4th emergency service (ask Gix and Thumper), came to the rescue yet again and produce a “Poundland” screwdriver from under his seat and fixed the problem with the dexterity of a brain surgeon. Digger was saved and headed north a happy, but rapidly chilling, man.

Toggsy then disappeared into the night, like a superhero departing the scene of saving the world. Meanwhile Thumper, Simon and I rounded off a highly enjoyable evening in the Plough Harrow pub nearby after a brief 4 mile blat.

yams%20at%20plough2_zpsqfdl6u7d.jpg
    yams%20at%20plough_zpsljtuooxb.jpg
    Black Country Bombers Yam FZ6 with Thumper’s TDR and SRX at the Plough and Harrow

So another good forum meet, everybody had a laugh despite very little riding being done (Digger apart of course). I mean, a evening of looking at rows and rows of super bikes, bathed in sunshine and with good company. Can’t be bad!

See you next time?

PS; Barmy Carmy – there was an FZX750 there!

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.