Am trying to talk myself into one of these….

Home Forums Modded bikes Am trying to talk myself into one of these….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    katana
    Participant

Looks good Pete. You could just bump start it?

Looks like the KTM engine is leaning alot further forward. Are you going to be Ok for oil pick-up etc?

HippoDrones
    Participant

in the last pics it is well tilted up, am gonna have it mounted at the same angle it was in the EXC frame so that shouldn’t be an issue :) but being 2 stroke it shouldn’t be too much of a problem I’d not have thought

TT07
    Participant

Will you be reversing the gear lever or come up with another fix? One thing I remember about Mito’s is those sprung loaded side stands are so unsafe.

HippoDrones
    Participant

gear lever? what for? have I missed somit? :S

HippoDrones
    Participant

ah, I see what you mean now… gonna put rearsets on it so will have a rod and lever mechanism once I get that far [:)] Just worrying about getting the engine mounted before stuff like that.

Priorities will be (unless I have forgotten stuff or change my mind lol)

mount engine,
    fit carb,
    sort electrics,
    get a zorst to fit,
    source and fit footpegs/brake/gear lever etc
    new front end,
    new rear shock,
    fit a fairing,
    pull it all to pieces again,
    powdercoat frame/swingarm/wheels,
    paint fairing and tank,
    blow up engine,
    rebuild and tune engine lol

katana
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

in the last pics it is well tilted up, am gonna have it mounted at the same angle it was in the EXC frame so that shouldn’t be an issue :) but being 2 stroke it shouldn’t be too much of a problem I’d not have thought

Doh! – sorry having a senior moment

Radar

Would it be possible to make an extension for the kick-start shaft that takes it out further and allows the lever to clear the frame when swung? A local engineering shop might be able to make something up.

HippoDrones
    Participant

possibly mate, I need to get the engine mounted before worrying bout it tho coz just a slight variation in angle could mess up any plans. All hints/tips/suggestions for any part of the build are gratefully accepted (and probably relied upon lol) as am sure you will see problems I’ve not noticed or solutions I’ve not thought of [:)]

HippoDrones
    Participant

had a play with more engine mounting earlier, looks like it shouldn’t be too tough….

https://pete247.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/engine-mounting/

Only a few mm out damn it lol

Radar

13072010.jpg

Looks like you have the potential there bud

HippoDrones
    Participant

Am gonna have to start measuring and making up some drawings for the engine mounts, will prob use that bar but get
    the lugs ground off and new ones welded on that line up. Had a play with wheels earlier this eve:

https://pete247.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/looking-for-inspiration/

If I go with the spoked wheels I may attempt to make them tubeless to save a bit of unsprung weight. We’ll see.

I really want to just crack on with getting the engine mounted properly but my lack of tools is letting me down.
    Think a trip to the tool shop is in order, grinder and various files def needed an a decent vice and a big fookin
    hammer! lol {:D]

HippoDrones
    Participant
    Radar

Cheers for the update Pete

HippoDrones
    Participant

feel like I’ve been a bit lazy by just posting a link to my blog so here is what I’ve been up to (not a lot tbh).

I’ve mainly been sourcing a new front end. I have gone for a 2003 Aprilia RSV1000. It will need its forks resprung once the bike is all built but my main priority with them is getting the stem from the Mito pressed into the bottom yoke, or if that isn’t possible then getting a new stem manufactured. I am gonna take advantage of the yokes being off to replace the steering bearings as well. I also need to get some spacers made up to centre the front wheel between the forks. Once that is done I can save up for a brake calliper and then line up a disk.

I have also been trying to work out the angle relative to the rear sprocket and swingarm pivot with the front sprocket. The rear engine mount for the KTM engine is larger than that of the Mito so a sleeve is needed there. I am also thinking about cutting the frame up from the KTM. I dont want to as it is straight, has an MoT and tax and I have a mate who wants to buy it lol but it could really help with mounting the engine.

I have also discovered that you get what you pay for with tools… I ordered a vernier off ebay on the cheap and omg, they are not even fit to give to a 3yr old. I have seriously had more accurate plastic rulers. I have since ordered some better ones (hopefully) and when they arrive I’ll be able to measure up for some spacers and sleeves etc and start getting some things actually put together!

24072010219.jpg

24072010220.jpg

28072010228.jpg

28072010225.jpg

28072010224.jpg

300cc chain saw anyone? [:D]
    28072010223.jpg

Radar

Interesting stuff on the forks there Pete and sound tips on measurement kit.

Regarding the KTM frame why not use it as a template to make replica mounts when the measuring kit arrives? In that way you can keep the frame intact

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.