Africa Twin CRF1000L test ride, March 2016

Home Forums Jap stuff Africa Twin CRF1000L test ride, March 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

Yesterday was the Harley test ride: today it’s the turn of Honda’s new Africa Twin. Talk about chalk and cheese!
    ThunderRoad Motorcycles in Gloucester was the venue, and the gleaming AT sitting on the forecourt set the tone: this bike looks even better in real life than in photos. It took two minutes to fit the lowest seat option (820mm) and I could then ground both heels at the same time, not bad for a 1000cc adventure bike. The test steed had the Adventure Pack fitted (£2000 extra): including heated grips, screen, +12V outlet, hard luggage, crash bars, fog lights, etc. LED lights throughout, too.

P1090283_zpsybfqxi82.jpg

So off I toddled: first impressions were good, if not exciting. Nice slick transmission, good low speed manoeuvrability, clear and informative instrument panel, and no stress. Got onto the A40, overtook some slow traffic. Suddenly I was in Huntley, turning off into the Forest. Talk about easy to ride: don’t have to consciously think about the controls (or anything!) – it just happens….
    Except for one thing: the horn and indicators are reversed compared to my TDM, so I hooted and overtook a couple of cars, much to their concern ☺.
    Although the AT is 232kg fully fuelled, it is slim and easy to handle, feeing lighter and much less bulky than the Trumpets and Beemers.

P1090290_zpsmn79vlgl.jpg

Got back to the cottage but Debs was working, so no pillion input this time. Set off on the more interesting return leg: pot-holes to Goodrich, dual carriageway to Ross, twisties to Ledbury, A417 back to Gloucester.

P1090285_zpszl1t36bl.jpg

This AT was growing on me. I began to simply forget the technicalities, but just enjoy the experience; and the grin began to grow. Unlike the various recently tested triples there isn’t that hooligan acceleration, but instead there is an incredible efficiency sound-tracked by a lovely V-twin-like roar. So it reaches the ton with no drama, and with no hanging about. In fact I was so amazed at the ease with which it reached three figures that I had to do it twice more just to work out how.

P1090288_zpsszg0vg5x.jpg

The digital instrument panel shows the speed, revs are a band across the top, and it has the clearest gear selection info I’ve seen yet. Other smaller data is there too: current mpg, time, Traction Control data, etc. Perfect viewing.
    The riding position was good, although I would use risers to pull the bars up and a tad closer, as I have on the Yam. The seat seemed hard at first, but then I forgot about it; the ABS and traction control were unobtrusive: I had one tyre-squirm through the apex of a tight bend but couldn’t see if any lights flashed as my eyes were fixed on the road and hazards ahead.

The roads were wet and slippery, but the Honda was great fun to chuck around – it felt light, flickable and sure-footed. In fact, I loved it.
    Fuelling is perfect, and it has some nice touches: the hard panniers attach into discreet slots in the bike frame – no metal luggage frame to get rusty…

P1090291_zps9ombjjv2.jpg

The dealer said that the DCT model is even better, giving seamless gearshifts (great for pillions) and excellent control off-road (unless you’re an enduro expert). The Adventure spec model is £12,638, with an extra £800 for DCT. Not bad for what you get.

As it had turned into such a nice day, I took the TDM back home along my test route to Ledbury then Ross and fun though it was to put my good ol’ bike through its paces, I’d have swapped it for the Africa Twin without a second thought. That Honda’s a real grower. For me, the AT has everything I could want except a shaft drive: which would of course make it heavier, etc., etc. So it currently joins the Explorer in my fantasy garage… I’ll leave the MVs and GSs to better riders than me……        8)

Radar

I saw one of these today for the first time. Looked and sounded good…I got the impression that you might have found your bike here!

elessimo
    Participant

I saw one of these today for the first time. Looked and sounded good…I got the impression that you might have found your bike here!

Must say – I was genuinely impressed. The Adventure spec package is pretty good value…..
    But I’m no sportsbiker: it may not be punchy enough for some. I am a lazy rider…. 8)

Radar

Must say – I was genuinely impressed. The Adventure spec package is pretty good value…..
    But I’m no sportsbiker: it may not be punchy enough for some. I am a lazy rider…. 8)

Well nobody could you accuse you of not exploring your options!

elessimo
    Participant

Lazy rider, but love riding new bikes that I can’t afford… hehe…..  8)

Radar

Be careful, one day one will get you so bad that you just can’t help yourself…how do you thing I wound up with my MV!

elessimo
    Participant

Be careful, one day one will get you so bad that you just can’t help yourself…how do you thing I wound up with my MV!

Ah, but I don’t have a garage. So I can’t fill it with bikes like some…. (you, Thumper, Jed, Ade, – the list goes on….).

Just as well…….    8)

Radar

Ah, but I don’t have a garage. So I can’t fill it with bikes like some…. (you, Thumper, Jed, Ade, – the list goes on….).

Just as well…….    8)

Sound to me like you need to build a garage…

elessimo
    Participant

Where?  ;D

Radar

Where?  ;D

Convert the conservatory, that would be popular i am sure…or on the decking?

elessimo
    Participant

Where?  ;D

I’m gonna tell Debs on you!  ;D

Radar

Where?  ;D

I’m gonna tell Debs on you!  ;D

Now I am in trouble…

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Nice review, thanks Steve. Looks a good bike all round. I had kind of forgotten about the Africa Twin of late with the proliferation of BMWs, KTMs etc. The original must have been one of the bikes that kicked off this whole adventure touring theme.

elessimo
    Participant

Nice review, thanks Steve. Looks a good bike all round. I had kind of forgotten about the Africa Twin of late with the proliferation of BMWs, KTMs etc. The original must have been one of the bikes that kicked off this whole adventure touring theme.

I never rode an old AT, but as you say Dave, they were the best adventure bikes available at one time.
    This new model is really nice: if it had a shaft drive it might have been perfect. It still joins the old Explorer at the top of my wish list.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the 2016 Mk2 Explorer stacks up against it….  8)

Radar

P4028812R_zpsbbbywpua.jpg
    My old mate Eddie’s original AT back in 2011, he still has it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.