advice needed

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted advice needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    4297gaz
    Participant

i have just started biking and i am having problems with the bike not charging..first if i run the bike on tickover the battery goes flat..could it be the alternator if so are they expensive or could it be the battery oh yes 1999 cbr 600fx

cbr 600 fx 1999

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Could be both! Try revving the bike with the headlamp on. If the headlamp goes brighter then the alternator is giving out some charge. Next step is to see exactly how much charge. If you can borrow or buy a multimeter (as cheap as a Fiver), you can check (on the Volts DC range) how many volts are going into the battery at the connections with the engine running. Black lead to -ve terminal, red to +ve. Should be around 13.5 volts. If it reads 12 then you have a charging problem or your battery connections are not good enough. It’s worth taking them off and cleaning them up with a bit of fine wet or dry paper anyway as it’s a common fault.

Let us know what you find, hope this helps.

Digger
    Participant

sounds like a trickleling earth,try tracking your earth and make sure its not touching your frame.

Take it easy out there

GSX Rat
    Participant

doesnt matter if its touching the frame, its where it connects too anyway.
    voltage into the battery can be up to 14.5, much more than 15 it will boil the battery which means your going to need a new one.

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.