848 Challenge. Team Afterdark at Silverstone 29/30 Sept. Forum run, pics!

Home Forums Meetings and events 848 Challenge. Team Afterdark at Silverstone 29/30 Sept. Forum run, pics!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar

James White of Team Afterdark competing in the Ducati 848 challenge was back in action at Silverstone recently .The forum trip to watch him race back in May at Assen in Holland had been a brilliant run, so we were all looking forward to the action once more, especially as the weekend headline event was a round of British Superbikes.
    Ses and I had an uneventful, if cold, run down on the Saturday morning. I rode my FZ down while Matt selected his CBF over his blade for this run, he had camping gear to carry and the heated grips were welcome on a crisp morning…he still whinged about being cold though…what a wus!
    We met up with Kat and some lads from his newly formed P&G motorcycle club in our dedicated parking area inside the circuit (good work Kat). He had also managed get us some great deals on tickets and camping fees as part of the club discount. £14 for a weekend of Superbike racing at a top circuit is superb VFM!

DSCN5565.jpg
    DSCN5567.jpg
    DSCN5607.jpg
    The first gathering of the P&G motorcycle club!

DSCN5608.jpg
    WTF – the sensational new boy band…

Another perk of ‘club’ membership was the opportunity for the first 100 to sign up was a chance to complete 2 laps of the full circuit on your own bike behind the safety car. The six of us all signed up! While the balance was made up of people from the number of other clubs in attendance, notably the ‘friendly’ lot from the Honda OC (ask Kat…)

DSCN5569.jpg
    ‘You meet the nicest people on on a Honda’

DSCN5589.jpg
    Makes a change from a ‘light-salad’…

Those who were camping went and got set up (ask Ses about his interesting method of parking his CBF), while I watched some of the BSB practice with Andy. We regrouped and then we lined up ready to head out to the circuit. We had been given a safety briefing which boiled down to enjoy yourself, and don’t be a t**t, and the two laps were completed at a steady pace behind the pace car and a bloke with a huge head on a R1. They was an amazing variety of bikes, from the usual sportsbikes suspects to Honda Goldwings and a disabled chap who was riding a fascinating twin front wheel Buell trike with some gusto. On a personal level I think that I set a new lap record for a short, fat bloke riding a bike fitted with a rack and an integrated luggage system…

DSCN5593.jpg
    DSCN5594.jpg
    DSCN5595.jpg
    DSCN5600.jpg
    DSCN5605.jpg
    Getting ready for the track action, forum members Ses310, Katana, WJ650, Swindon Andy and myself…

Even at the modest pace dictated by the pace car it was a great insight to riding on the track, and I was amazed at just how smooth the surface was. Now I REALLY want to do a track day! The rest of the lads enjoyed themselves too, especially Ses, who had been a bit take-it-or-leave it about the parade lap. Even a tosser from the HOC on a blue Blackbird who insisted on roaring up the inside of everybody did not spoil the fun.

We watched James in the 848 race and despite relatively few laps on the full circuit he performed well, coming 13th in a large field. The race winner seemed a little too quick to me, he was pulling 2 seconds a lap on the lad in 2nd place…in a category where all the bikes are supposed to be pretty even and carefully controlled by regulation. Team Afterdark will be providing James with a ZX10R to race in Superstock next year, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on riding that beast of bike. We wondered back to the pits where we enjoyed the hospitality of Team Afterdark and chatted with the lads in the team. It is good to be involved like this and get an insight into the running of team, and it is great to have somebody to cheer on.

DSCN5574.jpg
    DSCN5611.jpg
    DSCN5614.jpg
    In and around Team Afterdark

DSCN5585.jpg
    DSCN5624.jpg
    My usual dire action shots…

Later on I bumped into an old friend of mine, Gill, who I have not seen in years. She is deeply into racing and has worked with a variety of teams over the years and is currently part of the Gearlink Kawasaki set up. She was good enough to let us in to take a look at a team that races in one the premier classes and is based in the main pits garage complex. Gill also managed to get us into the Padgett Honda team garage where we got a look at the bikes that John McGuiness does he legendary work on. It was a fantastic opportunity so a big thank you to Gill
    I had to head home so missed the excellent evening buffet that Team Afterdark laid on, and could not make day 2, but Kat had a sizable contingent cheering on Team Afterdark on, including some of the lads from the legendary Assen run. Our Champs also took a brief break from his newfound parenthood to enjoy the days racing too. James continued to improve and came in 11th after a battling performance and I was also pleased to see that Ben Wilson picked up a pot for Gearlink Kawasaki.

DSCN5610.jpg
    John Guisness had a cramped littlecamper van, note the reg

DSCN5632.jpg
    Inside the nerve centre of Gearlink Kawasaki

DSCN5641.jpg
    inside Padgett Honda, the bikes for John McGuisness

DSCN5643.jpg
    I couldn’t help spreading the word of the holy tuning forks…

So all in another cracking Forum outing with thanks to Katana for organising, P&G motorcycle club for the price deals, Gill for access to the big boys garages and Team Afterdark for the hospitality.
    Welcome to new members Swindon Andy and WJ650 too, look forward to seeing you on future events…next one is the bike show on November 30th.

ses310

Excellent write up as always Radar, it was a fantastic weekend! I did really love going round the track! The camping not so much though as was a little on the chilly side!

Swindon Andy
    Participant

Great photos and write-up Radar. What a cool weekend. I did enjoy meeting you all and look forward to the next time. Cheers to Kat for the club arrangement.

Radar

Great photos and write-up Radar. What a cool weekend. I did enjoy meeting you all and look forward to the next time. Cheers to Kat for the club arrangement.

Cheers Andy it was great to meet you. Just in case you wondered what you missed on the Assen trip to watch James race:

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/assen-run-review-pictures-of-our-adventures/

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Wow, excellent stuff. Sounds like you were well looked after, going in the team vans etc.

As for doing the laps of the track, well that’s a bit special. I guess nobody overtook you because your top box looked like a speed camera  ;D [/jealous]

Radar

Wow, excellent stuff. Sounds like you were well looked after, going in the team vans etc.

As for doing the laps of the track, well that’s a bit special. I guess nobody overtook you because your top box looked like a speed camera  ;D [/jealous]

Was a good do, you will have to come along to a meet next year, James will be running a ZX10R next year

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.